Groups

Getting our 3 week old baby into a routine>?

Hi we have a 3 week old baby girl and am trying to get her into a night time routine,it worked for our now 3 year old at the same age,we put her tp bed,fed her at every 3-4 hrs,left her to cry then checked on her every 10 min,your baby girl has bad colic and is alot worse at night and through the early hours of the morning,we have tried dentinox etc but doesnt help,what else could we try?any hints and tips?we were hoping she might follow in the footsteps of her elder sister.... lol

thanks

47 Comments

Try Infacol.....

Original Poster

GregAndy;5158841

Try Infacol.....

can u use that on a 3 week old>?

Admin

Have you tried Colief? Colic is really difficult so totally sympathise with you.
    We used Dr Brown bottles aswell which helped a lot (not sure if you're bottle feeding or not)
    All babies are totally different Our two sons are 21mths apart and although everyone comments how alike they are, they really are like chalk and cheese.
    Three weeks is really young, give her time and she'll settle into a nice routine soon enough

strobez1977;5158854

can u use that on a 3 week old>?

My 6 week old girl takes it and it helps...

i think you posted a thread like this before, have you tried diffent bottles? my other half was told to get these from mothercare and it worked a treat for us, the bottles are called MAM. good luck

Colief i have heard is better than Infacol.

It is expensive but heard its worth it, you can do the same thing every night, like baths same time, ready for bed, etc all same time but it might take a while for your little girl to settle into it.

But it is true no baby is the same, you could have a non sleeper for a couple of years or few more mths yet. 3 wks is still young for a fixed routine of bedtime etc, if you have them in a set routine for milk etc, then work round that but maybe wait till the colic subsides before trying harder to fit them into a routine, Colic tends to end approx 3mths old.

Also you could try laying your little girl face down across your knees rocking your legs side to side, that sometimes help.

leecroot;5158916

i think you posted a thread like this before, have you tried diffent … i think you posted a thread like this before, have you tried diffent bottles? my other half was told to get these from mothercare and it worked a treat for us, the bottles are called MAM. good luck

Thats true, also maybe try different flo teats.....

why you asking again???
    hotukdeals.com/ite…g-/ if you try anything different you should least try it a few days b4 giving up and only 6 days since you asked

ah colic is hard, have you tried swaddling babe? it calms them down a bit helps them to feel secure.

as for a routine for a 3wk old, good luck with that one ;-) neither of mine would let me set the routine until atleast 6months, mind you I really can't stand to hear newborns cry and do love cuddles so maybe partly my fault, lol

totally agree with routines our little un now just over 2 has only gave us 1 sleepless night without being ill(1st night home we were like is this what its gonna be lke lol) good as gold ever since,feeds, sleeps,baths should all be routined that way they know what comming next never even had sleepless night during teething,

in saying that hes upstairs reading books and talking to himself lol does that every night now thats HIS routine and he loves it never even a whimper from him

Ooo another tip i picked up is sit them on your knee and rock them backwards and forwards, helps move the wind. You could also if bottle fed try winding them after every oz of milk.

Original Poster

DIVA1977;5158933

why you asking … why you asking again???http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/392957/best-remedy-for-colic-band-winding-/ if you try anything different you should least try it a few days b4 giving up and only 6 days since you asked

calm down i forgot i had aready posted a msg already,realy glad for the help people

Banned

the lttle guy had colic and i tried everything going, and nothing worked, one thing i would do if i had another with colic, is ride it out, sleep when i can and remember it will pass, i know not very helpful but for most babies nothing really helps, good luck and rest whenever the oppurtunity arises

starsparkle2311;5158948

have you heard a baby screaming, 6 days is a mighty long time when that's … have you heard a baby screaming, 6 days is a mighty long time when that's happening:thumbsup:

Exactly what I was going to say...obviously distressing otherwise they wouldn;t be asking again!

Sorry I've no help, I was lucky and actually had 2 boys the same loved their routine and both were though the night in their own rooms by 6 weeks. We did use infacare and Dr Browns on them though. I think you just have to have good support and take help when offered, for me sleep deprivation in the first few weeks was the worst part.

Hope it improves for you shortly

Original Poster

sassie;5159009

the lttle guy had colic and i tried everything going, and nothing worked, … the lttle guy had colic and i tried everything going, and nothing worked, one thing i would do if i had another with colic, is ride it out, sleep when i can and remember it will pass, i know not very helpful but for most babies nothing really helps, good luck and rest whenever the oppurtunity arises

thanks,its tough as i work full time and the misses is at home with our 3 year old daughter and she will not let mummy sleep,was much easier when our 3 year old was born as there ws no one else to look after lol

Original Poster

chas76;5159055

Exactly what I was going to say...obviously distressing otherwise they … Exactly what I was going to say...obviously distressing otherwise they wouldn;t be asking again!Sorry I've no help, I was lucky and actually had 2 boys the same loved their routine and both were though the night in their own rooms by 6 weeks. We did use infacare and Dr Browns on them though. I think you just have to have good support and take help when offered, for me sleep deprivation in the first few weeks was the worst part.Hope it improves for you shortly

yeh must keep telling ourselves it will get betterlol ,she has a dummy but keep spitting that out so somone will come to her,its tough when i start work at 6am every morning but know it does get better hehe

Banned

strobez1977;5159067

thanks,its tough as i work full time and the misses is at home with our 3 … thanks,its tough as i work full time and the misses is at home with our 3 year old daughter and she will not let mummy sleep,was much easier when our 3 year old was born as there ws no one else to look after lol

yes, i was lucky as daughter was at school, but everytime i tried something esle i thought it was gonna work and each time i didnt i would feel more down than i was before, he was prescribed everything going and nothing worked, we learn as we go along, and know this must be really hard for you all but hang in there, it is a natural thing and she will grow out of it, as already said take hep wherever you can, sorry i cant be of any help but best wishes to you all xx

Original Poster

would it be best to take her our of her cot at night and keep her downstairs untill we go to bed ourselves?

strobez1977;5159067

thanks,its tough as i work full time and the misses is at home with our 3 … thanks,its tough as i work full time and the misses is at home with our 3 year old daughter and she will not let mummy sleep,was much easier when our 3 year old was born as there ws no one else to look after lol

My hubby and I had a routine too, he works full time but realised how hard it was for me, my eldest was just 18 months when number 2 was born. But although he worked he still got up in the night half the week, so I could stay in bed, we just took turns and whoever had the baby went downsrairs to let the other sleep, he realised being at home with 2 babies after just a few hours sleep was maybe just as tough as him going to work on just a few hours sleep...and it meant I wasn't half as ratty with him when he got home :thumbsup:

Banned

strobez1977;5159134

would it be best to take her our of her cot at night and keep her … would it be best to take her our of her cot at night and keep her downstairs untill we go to bed ourselves?

it wont help the colic, but if it makes you feel better then do it, do whatever is comfortable, babies who get colic tend to get it between certain hours, usually same hours each day, for many nothing touhes it, maybe you and your wife could take it in turns with the bay each night, so one of you gets rest one nght and alternate it

Banned

my mate goes smack it around abit. but what does he know? brock is a beast!
    if the mid-wife still comes down ask her and get some friendly advice is all i can offer old buddy old pal and talk to the counter at the chemist...however best to go to the doc first. my doctor used to refrain from drugs unless absolutely necessary...said its the best way for the baby's immune system to grow strong and healthy.

Banned

have u tried baby massage? I found a massage before bed after bathtime helped my little un. We had classes run free by the local health centre.

strobez1977;5159134

would it be best to take her our of her cot at night and keep her … would it be best to take her our of her cot at night and keep her downstairs untill we go to bed ourselves?

I would say no, keep her in the routine you want and stick with it, otherwise she;ll get used to being up with you and will be harder to pick up the routine a few weeks down the line.

Original Poster

chas76;5159187

I would say no, keep her in the routine you want and stick with it, … I would say no, keep her in the routine you want and stick with it, otherwise she;ll get used to being up with you and will be harder to pick up the routine a few weeks down the line.

yeh thats what i was thinking and as this is just a stage it would be a shame to break the start of a routine

Banned

she is 3 weeks old, whilst she is sleeping in her cot leave her be, when she is screaming like a banchee i would not leave her, she is screaming because she is in pain, not because she wants to be a pain in the butt, you may not be able to ease her pain but you can comfort her

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;5159292

+1, it's very hard to do, but considering it's colic, eventually it will … +1, it's very hard to do, but considering it's colic, eventually it will pass, I know it's probably heart-wrenching at the moment, but you have to stick with your routine, it will pass.I know this sounds probably awful to you, but ignore it as much as you can, you and your partner, need a break - downstairs is your space, it will pass, stay strong and best of luck:thumbsup:I bet she's a beauty too, my kid screamed like a banshee for 3 months, then she paused one day, opened her eyes and smiled at me, I will never forget that!!!!!!!!! I was just about to phone social services and offer her for adoption, seriously,lol, she melted my heart, bless!!!!!:p

lol liked your story,makes me feel better with all these replys as somtimes at this stage you dobut some of the things you are doing,this is my 3rd daughter(1 with my ex) and there all so diff lol

starsparkle2311;5158948

have you heard a baby screaming, 6 days is a mighty long time when that's … have you heard a baby screaming, 6 days is a mighty long time when that's happening:thumbsup:

I got a 16 month old who had bad colic so yup

strobez1977;5158985

calm down i forgot i had aready posted a msg already,realy glad for the … calm down i forgot i had aready posted a msg already,realy glad for the help people

I am calm, but it seems you've disregarded ev1 helpful advice there. If you tried colief like i an many said i guarnteed it would of got better, but as said b4 its expensive

Original Poster

DIVA1977;5159511

I got a 16 month old who had bad colic so yupI am calm, but it seems … I got a 16 month old who had bad colic so yupI am calm, but it seems you've disregarded ev1 helpful advice there. If you tried colief like i an many said i guarnteed it would of got better, but as said b4 its expensive

Excuse me!!i have listend to everyone on here and am realy happy for the advice!!It just didnt help when your comment was telling me that i had already asked about the problem already,everyone else on here has been great!

Banned

DIVA1977;5159511

I am calm, but it seems you've disregarded ev1 helpful advice there. If … I am calm, but it seems you've disregarded ev1 helpful advice there. If you tried colief like i an many said i guarnteed it would of got better, but as said b4 its expensive

slightly unfair, not everything works for every baby

strobez1977;5159547

Excuse me!!i have listend to everyone on here and am realy happy for the … Excuse me!!i have listend to everyone on here and am realy happy for the advice!!It just didnt help when your comment was telling me that i had already asked about the problem already,everyone else on here has been great!

Whatever, my point is if you had bothered to read the thread you started last week and taken on board advice given then, we wouldnt be having this conversation. Its ok strobez i wont bother trying to help you again as clearly you dont value peoples advice or bother reading rplies.

Yes as star said 6 days long time with colicky baby but not so long that you should of forgotten you asked for same advice 6 days previous.

sassie;5159560

slightly unfair, not everything works for every baby

Lots of people suggested this last week to him. Ive recommended it to loads new parents and 100% have said they cant believe how quickly things have improved. OP said last week baby was 3 weeks so surely ask for our advice yes , but since he should be havinf weekly visits with HV why cant he ask her as i said last time.

sassie;5159009

the lttle guy had colic and i tried everything going, and nothing worked, … the lttle guy had colic and i tried everything going, and nothing worked, one thing i would do if i had another with colic, is ride it out, sleep when i can and remember it will pass, i know not very helpful but for most babies nothing really helps, good luck and rest whenever the oppurtunity arises

Best advice on the whole thread :thumbsup: My lil girl had it too - it won't last - but sure seems like forever!

Banned

DIVA1977;5159608

Lots of people suggested this last week to him. Ive recommended it to … Lots of people suggested this last week to him. Ive recommended it to loads new parents and 100% have said they cant believe how quickly things have improved. OP said last week baby was 3 weeks so surely ask for our advice yes , but since he should be havinf weekly visits with HV why cant he ask her as i said last time.

im sure the op has taken everyones advice and will use what he see fit

sorry not read all the comments but infacol from birth then gripe water from one month old, infacol does take a few days to start seeing some results.

Original Poster

Just like to say sorry if anyone thinks im not taking on board what peopl are telling me,im getting some great advice on here and its great to get replys from other understanding parents,it seems DIVA1977 is just looking for a argument and am not on here for that.

thanks

brett

You or your partner could also try [url]www.netmums.com[/url]

I've found the site useful for tons of things

Original Poster

Becksdawe;5159744

You or your partner could also try [url]www.netmums.com[/url]I've found … You or your partner could also try [url]www.netmums.com[/url]I've found the site useful for tons of things

thanks will give that a go:thumbsup:

strobez1977;5159785

thanks will give that a go:thumbsup:

Your welcome. There coffeehouse(forum) is rather good too.

All good advice, just wondered if you knew you can get Colief on prescription we did. It works by breaking down the lactose in breast or formula milk.
    Congratulations on your new arrival, ride it out and it'll pass we survived our son screaming every waking minute for weeks till he was diagnosed with reflux. He was such a shock after our daughter who slept like a dream!

to me 3 weeks is a bit young to try and get into a routine,i just kind of went with the flow for the first month or so...thats not much help..its knackering,especially with a toddler,the worst feeling in the world is going to sleep at 10 and knowing (if your lucky)you might get 4 hours sleep...i did it all "wrong" according to the HV !!i let baby fall asleep on me or hubby then put her in her cot...to me if a baby is crying i wouldnt leave them to cry for longer than a few minutes(unless it was when dealing with my toddler..) as they end up more distresssed...everyone has there own way..there is no right/wrong way do what is right for you...and HV dont know everything and give textbook advice sometimes...so go with your instinct...it will be right for you.x.x.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764175
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846147
      3. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 891820
      4. word association Game72744167

See more discussions