Groups

getting out of mobile/laptop contract

My friend's recently lost his job and he had no way of seeing itcoming (like millions of others recently) Anyway he's stuck in a mobile/laptop and internet contract which he genuinely can't afford. I'm pretty sure there's a clause which means he can say he can't pay it and they will cancel it?
    Can you help me out?

28 Comments

Nope. He should be honest and call them - see if there's anything they can offer.

Original Poster

[email protected];4462358

Nope. He should be honest and call them - see if there's anything they … Nope. He should be honest and call them - see if there's anything they can offer.

He's already done that but they are refusing to stop it. I was pretty sure they can't do that, at the end of the day he's got no money to pay for the services- only up until the recent month (he's never defaulted etc) he thought it was better if they just stopped it from where he is so he can pay for what he's used so he won't get into debt.

You cant get out of it im afraid...he should call them and explain and see if they will do anything (discretion on their part)

sell the laptop, that way u have funds to pay for rest of contract

Fwiw, the job market isn't as bad as it's being made out to be by the press. Even if it's just unskilled work for wages around the £6/hr mark, there are still loads of jobs out there to be had, and I know a few people who've been laid off and reemployed within a couple of weeks recently. There's no need to be cancelling contracts and incurring the various premature termination penalties, just get out and get another job.

only other thing he can do is declare it as a debt. That means drawing up an income/expenditure form and sending to them to show he cant pay it.

Of course they can do it - he has signed a lgally binding contract, he cant just cancel cause he cant afford

when i phoned to cancel after they messed me around they said I would still have to pay a buy out fee every month x x

Original Poster

dxx;4462405

Fwiw, the job market isn't as bad as it's being made out to be by the … Fwiw, the job market isn't as bad as it's being made out to be by the press. Even if it's just unskilled work for wages around the £6/hr mark, there are still loads of jobs out there to be had, and I know a few people who've been laid off and reemployed within a couple of weeks recently. There's no need to be cancelling contracts and incurring the various premature termination penalties, just get out and get another job.

I totallyagree, he's just finished his last exam training with gas (he was an apprentice) and they laid him off, but he's tried getting jobs in our area and he's not qualified for them. I told him to try somethingelse but he seems hell bent on going on benefits. He was thinking of going for incapacity benefit which I think is an insult for those genuinely incapacitated and I'm trying my heaven's hardest so he doesn't apply for them.

Original Poster

bargainhunter2009;4462413

only other thing he can do is declare it as a debt. That means drawing up … only other thing he can do is declare it as a debt. That means drawing up an income/expenditure form and sending to them to show he cant pay it.Of course they can do it - he has signed a lgally binding contract, he cant just cancel cause he cant afford

I'm naiive with all this, I genuinely thought they couldn't make him carry on with the contract because he couldn't afford it. It's terrible as it's getting people into debt.

if the laptop is still in good condition why not sell it? = funds, unless u get another job theres no way out of contract, and it be better than paying for extra fees which it will be if you dont pay

midjet666;4462448

I'm naiive with all this, I genuinely thought they couldn't make him … I'm naiive with all this, I genuinely thought they couldn't make him carry on with the contract because he couldn't afford it. It's terrible as it's getting people into debt.

Yeh sorry once you sign a contract its legally binding. I work at CAB, I see a lot of people who believe the same as you but I have to explain that they cant! sorry

how long as the contract got left? if its not long sell the phone instead if theres only a few months left, can always pick a cheap phone up somewhere till he gets himself back on his feet

Job market is fine - my girlfriend just got a new (and much better job - no hassle) There are ads all around town - shops/ fast food places - I'm thinking of taking a few hours for extra cash...

Get a new job?

Could also try with the bank for an overdraft to get him through?

bargainhunter2009;4462499

Yeh sorry once you sign a contract its legally binding. I work at CAB, I … Yeh sorry once you sign a contract its legally binding. I work at CAB, I see a lot of people who believe the same as you but I have to explain that they cant! sorry

agreed but depends whether he actually SIGNED a contract under cca doesnt it? many mobile contracts are done over the phone these days and it is my understanding that without a signed credit agreement they are actually unenforcable. obviously working at cab you would know whether thats right or not but was certainly my understanding.

Banned

midjet666;4462448

I'm naiive with all this, I genuinely thought they couldn't make him … I'm naiive with all this, I genuinely thought they couldn't make him carry on with the contract because he couldn't afford it. It's terrible as it's getting people into debt.

I don't understand that - he was the one who got himself into debt, not them, unless they forced him to take out the contract?

Presumably he has other debts, credits cards and suchlike, if so he should maybe make an appointment at the consumer advice centre and they can advise him and negotiate with the companies on his behalf.

Original Poster

Well I've just asked him if he'll sell them and he doesn't seem interested, he reckons the laptop will sell for half the RRP so isn't interested in selling and the phone is battered and worth £30.personally I think he's just not interested in selling anything to help him out of his debt atm. I'm sorry to have wasted all of your time, I just think he's taking the P now.

Original Poster

colinsunderland;4462561

I don't understand that - he was the one who got himself into debt, not … I don't understand that - he was the one who got himself into debt, not them, unless they forced him to take out the contract?Presumably he has other debts, credits cards and suchlike, if so he should maybe make an appointment at the consumer advice centre and they can advise him and negotiate with the companies on his behalf.

Looking at it now, he's just stupid and greedy. He was on a good wage, living at home with his parents, only bills he had were phone, interenet, laptop and credit card and overdraft. Why would he need those if he's on £300 a week with no other outgoings? I am really angry with him now he's just taking the mick.

midjet666;4462565

Well I've just asked him if he'll sell them and he doesn't seem … Well I've just asked him if he'll sell them and he doesn't seem interested, he reckons the laptop will sell for half the RRP so isn't interested in selling and the phone is battered and worth £30.personally I think he's just not interested in selling anything to help him out of his debt atm. I'm sorry to have wasted all of your time, I just think he's taking the P now.

I think your mate is a complete muppet, personally!
    No offence to you, but he should have been saving money while he was employed, and with his ttitude like it is, I doubt anyone wants to employ him, I have been unemployed since the week before christmas, its hard to find work at the moment, but I was lucky, I saved several thousand over the last 18 months, so can live quite well for some time yet, but I don't get a penny from the government in benefits, all because I go to college one day a week, but I bet your mate will get everything, coz they seem to help out those who don't deserve it!

Mike..

Original Poster

MikeBeaver;4462589

I think your mate is a complete muppet, personally!No offence to you, but … I think your mate is a complete muppet, personally!No offence to you, but he should have been saving money while he was employed, and with his ttitude like it is, I doubt anyone wants to employ him, I have been unemployed since the week before christmas, its hard to find work at the moment, but I was lucky, I saved several thousand over the last 18 months, so can live quite well for some time yet, but I don't get a penny from the government in benefits, all because I go to college one day a week, but I bet your mate will get everything, coz they seem to help out those who don't deserve it!Mike..

You're right, he's planning on claiming incapacity bt there's nothing wrong with him! (Sorry for typing errors, my keyboard is playing up) anyway he spent his money on getting drunk and playing paintball. He's got loads of paintball guns that he don't need or use and he won't sell them. It's just pathetic, I'm really losing my rag with him.

MikeBeaver;4462589

I think your mate is a complete muppet, personally!No offence to you, but … I think your mate is a complete muppet, personally!No offence to you, but he should have been saving money while he was employed, and with his ttitude like it is, I doubt anyone wants to employ him, I have been unemployed since the week before christmas, its hard to find work at the moment, but I was lucky, I saved several thousand over the last 18 months, so can live quite well for some time yet, but I don't get a penny from the government in benefits, all because I go to college one day a week, but I bet your mate will get everything, coz they seem to help out those who don't deserve it!Mike..

absolutely! the people I work with who get their wages every 4 weeks and have spent the lot in less than a week is crazy! so few people nowadays make any attempt to plan for what may happen in the future and actually save some of their earnings.

same with people who dont have pension plans at 30 because "they are too young"-suicidal behaviour!

midjet666;4462611

You're right, he's planning on claiming incapacity bt there's nothing … You're right, he's planning on claiming incapacity bt there's nothing wrong with him! (Sorry for typing errors, my keyboard is playing up) anyway he spent his money on getting drunk and playing paintball. He's got loads of paintball guns that he don't need or use and he won't sell them. It's just pathetic, I'm really losing my rag with him.

well he wont get incapacity benefit if there is nothing wrong with him as its done on a points system and you have to prove whats wrong with you by way of a medical!

he should get another job or apply for Jobseekers

Original Poster

bargainhunter2009;4462655

well he wont get incapacity benefit if there is nothing wrong with him as … well he wont get incapacity benefit if there is nothing wrong with him as its done on a points system and you have to prove whats wrong with you by way of a medical!

I know but he's planning to go down the stress/depression route. If he gets it I'll grass him up, I don't care anymore. He's not wanting to help himself so I'm not going to help him or stand by and see him fiddle the system.

midjet666;4462677

I know but he's planning to go down the stress/depression route. If he … I know but he's planning to go down the stress/depression route. If he gets it I'll grass him up, I don't care anymore. He's not wanting to help himself so I'm not going to help him or stand by and see him fiddle the system.

Its REALLY hard to get incapacity ben for stress!! Or else everyone would do it! I dont think if thats his reason he will get it! Tell him to grow up!!!

Original Poster

bargainhunter2009;4462724

Its REALLY hard to get incapacity ben for stress!! Or else everyone would … Its REALLY hard to get incapacity ben for stress!! Or else everyone would do it! I dont think if thats his reason he will get it! Tell him to grow up!!!

I'm tempted to go and slap him!!:thumbsup:

barky;4462617

same with people who dont have pension plans at 30 because "they are too … same with people who dont have pension plans at 30 because "they are too young"-suicidal behaviour!

Depends if you intend to pay for retirement some other way - our don't mind taking a chance

I'm looking at spending a bit of cash to convert my house into three flats - should be able to generate an income to see me through! (Anyway - I'm only 24....)

pensions - oh my, im 26 cant even think about that right now!

You don't need to sign a contract. Using the phone signals your acceptance of the contract.
    Once you've accepted it, you're bound by it for the term. If anyone could just walk away from a contract whenecer they wanted no business (mobile or other wise) would work. The networks would go bust in 6 months after giving out 'free' phones and then getting nothing back. A phones not really free you know...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win the ultimate Land Rover Rugby Prize11
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card66
      3. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine54
      4. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…88

See more discussions