Expired

Getting past University torrent blocking?

Found 22nd Jan 2013
When connected to University wifi I'm unable to download torrents. I can download the actual torrent file fine, its just once I start it on utorrent I get locked off the network for 5 minutes! Any tech savvy folks know of a way around this? Tried googling but most are for downloading the actual torrent file whereas that's not the problem. Cheers.

Edit: spotflux fixed it.
Community Updates
Misc
20 Comments
Unlikely to be able to bypass it. I work at a uni in the central IT department and we block that kind of traffic and anyone found attempting it any other way will usually get noticed and dealt with.

Also in our case the WIFI is more closed down and restricted than the wired network so even more port blocking going on.
Edited by: "CyDoNiA" 22nd Jan 2013
Banned
You're not at Uni at tax payers expense to download torrents!
I can download torrents at my uni lol.
Who uses torrents these days?
Original Poster
Damn, I prefer torrents for handyness.
Get a decent phone tariff, tether from your phone, simples.

E/ Make friends with someone with unlimited data allowance (like me) and tether their phone.
Try this.
Download Hideman.
Change your IP to somewhere else in the UK.
IT might bypass it.

Either that or perhaps download some VPN software and give that a shot.
Spotflux might work........
Banned
So people at your uni have this service and you're using it to download torrents?

This is the problem with the government letting anyone into uni nowadays, rather than working in supermarkets like they should be.
Original Poster
FilthAndFurry

So people at your uni have this service and you're using it to download … So people at your uni have this service and you're using it to download torrents?This is the problem with the government letting anyone into uni nowadays, rather than working in supermarkets like they should be.

Obviously not, why would I create this thread asking how to torrent if I was doing it already? Duh. Perhaps you need to go back to school, sunshine.

Thanks for the above tips, trying them now.
He pays 9k a year to be there, should be allowed to download what your want!!
Original Poster
FearTheBassPlayer

Spotflux might work........

Spotflux did just the trick, thanks alot man!
College and Uni are really easy. I can't believe that anyone in my college class passed the course.
dcx_badass

Even if you could get round it (most likely), then depending on the uni … Even if you could get round it (most likely), then depending on the uni there could be serious consequences.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3agsqwKIW1r6fge6.gif
gbspurs

He pays 9k a year to be there, should be allowed to download what your … He pays 9k a year to be there, should be allowed to download what your want!!

And so you should pay 9K for a year.
VPN. Don't bother with some half **** free proxy, you'll get banned for sure. Or just try Usenet, that port might be open..
The university is responsible for the use of it's internet connection. If the police or FAST/FACT etc contact them they will have to take action etc. so most try to avoid that now by policing their own traffic. Also most universities monitor traffic and anything out of the ordinary will be seen and investigated. Slow traffic trickling through continuously or very fast bursts of traffic stick out.

It's not hard to locate you via MAC address either and if you have to sign in to your WIFI then they will contact you quickly. This could impact your course etc and you most likely had to agree to the terms of use of the WIFI so will not have a leg to stand on.
Banned
Anyone for a spot of rustication?
Vpn software doesn't work with me
Banned
goehejehh

Vpn software doesn't work with me

non - Uni VPNs will be blocked.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions