Groups

Getting rid of all mess on New Laptop (namely Vista and desktop rubbish !!)

Can anyone tell me of any programs that get rid of all the crap from a new laptop, also does anyone know of any good Vista tweaks to get the best out of it and stop all the rubbish that usually slows a perfectly good laptop down lol

thanks

32 Comments

Banned

what vista version? What brand of lappy?

turn off aero for starters

edit that word mate...i wont report but no doubt others would......might b good to speak to faeevilangel...hes pretty good on the pc.

Format it and reinstall. Only way to get rid off all the junk

Banned

get rid of mcafee / norton and other rubbish like that too

I generally always do a full install on a new pc / laptop and configure what I want as this stage (Acer and Dell are the worst offenders at adding carpware!)

Banned

Babbabooey;3777484

Format it and reinstall. Only way to get rid off all the junk

agreed. You'll never get it as good as it should be by uninstalling the junk. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Its Vista Home and its a Sony Viao T3200

edited the word mate, thanks lol Ooops

csiman;3777502

agreed. You'll never get it as good as it should be by uninstalling the … agreed. You'll never get it as good as it should be by uninstalling the junk. :thumbsup:

Also agreed. Its one of t he first things I do when I get a new computer.

Banned

saxo_appeal;3777521

Its Vista Home and its a Sony Viao T3200edited the word mate, thanks lol … Its Vista Home and its a Sony Viao T3200edited the word mate, thanks lol Ooops

wont have aero anyway then.

Use the PERFORMANCE INFORMATION AND TOOLS to run an analysis and windows will recommend changes to adjust for speed / graphics etc.

Original Poster

how do u do that nova?

Which is it?
    Vista Home Basic
    or
    Vista Home Premium

Original Poster

Vista Home premium

It will have aero then.

Banned

saxo_appeal;3777606

how do u do that nova?

nova?

Click START then start typing PERFORMANCE INFORMATION AND TOOLS and it will come up in the programs found list.

Banned

deathtrap3000;3777694

It will have aero then.

yep :thumbsup:

do what I said and you can turn it off in PERFORMANCE INFORMATION AND TOOLS

Banned

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/csiman2/ScreenShot001-13.jpg

Where is the setting to turn off Aero please?

Goldenballs;3777840

Where is the setting to turn off Aero please?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/4/7942538_48903e3585.jpg

]GOOOOOGLE :roll:

Babbabooey;3777866

]GOOOOOGLE :roll:

:-D

Thanks.

Why turn off aero??

Its one of the best things about Vista.

have you turned off the uac ? its the thing that displays the message "do you want to do xxxx" everytime you open a program !!!!

also remove the free microsoft 5hite e.g. works package, office trial windows defender

install openoffice, avast antivirus, comodo firewall, superantispyware.......

also do a defragment regularly (go into the option and select an option to do it once a week)

Banned

faevilangel;3778588

have you turned off the uac ? its the thing that displays the message … have you turned off the uac ? its the thing that displays the message "do you want to do xxxx" everytime you open a program !!!!also remove the free microsoft 5hite e.g. works package, office trial windows defenderinstall openoffice, avast antivirus, comodo firewall, superantispyware.......also do a defragment regularly (go into the option and select an option to do it once a week)

I thought vista auto defragged itself by moving common programs to the start of the disk and by default ran weekly

Banned

deathtrap3000;3778424

Why turn off aero?? Its one of the best things about Vista.

because it has a massive performance overhead

csiman;3779065

because it has a massive performance overhead

Yeh... if you have a rubbish computer.

PC with a rating of 3 or more will see hardly any performance issues with it on.

csiman;3779055

I thought vista auto defragged itself by moving common programs to the … I thought vista auto defragged itself by moving common programs to the start of the disk and by default ran weekly

i think your right ....... but i always do a full defrag in case ......... its kept my pc nice and quick

Banned

deathtrap3000;3779105

Yeh... if you have a rubbish computer. PC with a rating of 3 or more will … Yeh... if you have a rubbish computer. PC with a rating of 3 or more will see hardly any performance issues with it on.

er, the OP wants advice on speeding his PC up. Turning Aero off will help regardless of rating!

csiman;3779233

er, the OP wants advice on speeding his PC up. Turning Aero off will help … er, the OP wants advice on speeding his PC up. Turning Aero off will help regardless of rating!

Ive yet to see *any* performance increases when its turned off.

Original Poster

how do u turn off the uac?
    any top ten tweaks?

Banned

saxo_appeal;3780012

how do u turn off the uac?any top ten tweaks?

No.1 NEVER use Internet Explorer! :-D

Original Poster

csiman;3780432

No.1 NEVER use Internet Explorer! :-D

:?!! lol

Original Poster

isnt the firewall on Vista security ok to use ? that Commodo was geting annoying, everytime i opened something it asked it it was ok

Banned

saxo_appeal;3780555

isnt the firewall on Vista security ok to use ? that Commodo was geting … isnt the firewall on Vista security ok to use ? that Commodo was geting annoying, everytime i opened something it asked it it was ok

I'd still have comodo (and do) and turn off vista firewall. just make sure when Comodo prompts you for a response, you select the tickbox "Remember this answer".

The prompts soon die off.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …84142
      2. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043
      3. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1111
      4. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2748

See more discussions