Getting Rid of Pink Shower Mould

Found 21st Sep 2015
Hi, Can anyone please advise that how we can get rid of pink shower mould? We have tried using bleach, vinegar, HG mould spray, etc but no added effect.

See image below for more details.

Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah204/jamilayz/20150920_182232_zpsbipwmqah.jpg
never seen pink mould before.
Had this issue before take off and give a good clean with a toothbrush, if it doesn't come up clean enough look on eBay for shower door seals.

Edited by: "ndksamb" 21st Sep 2015
mould is no good regardless of colour. best thing is take it all off and put new sealant on. I had same problem, water will just seep through and leak down.

spend abit more on the sealant and buy quality.
Thanks everyone, can anyone please recommend some decent shower door seals that won't turn pink as this shower door was installed less than 6 months ago and is also cleaned regularly.

Thank You in advance.
Is it not the products you're using to get rid of it that's causing it to be pink? I've never seen pink mould before.
Best way to stop/delay it happening is to wipe the shower down after using it so the water is not sat on the seal causing it to stain.
Found this on Google link

Apparently it's an airborne bacteria
Angel_Of_The_North

Is it not the products you're using to get rid of it that's causing it to … Is it not the products you're using to get rid of it that's causing it to be pink? I've never seen pink mould before.

That was my first comment - I assumed it was cleaning products. My home suffered from severe damp and the bathroom seals would go mouldy and after cleaning they'd turn pink. After double glazing, drying out occasionally with a dehumidifier and improving/fixing the extractor in the bathroom plus one or two other fixes it's no longer damp (except outside as we're near lakes/river).

But I did a quick search and up pops this thing about a pink mould....wtf
Edited by: "philphil61" 21st Sep 2015
philphil61

That was my first comment - I assumed it was cleaning products. My home … That was my first comment - I assumed it was cleaning products. My home suffered from severe damp and the bathroom seals would go mouldy and after cleaning they'd turn pink. After double glazing, drying out occasionally with a dehumidifier and improving/fixing the extractor in the bathroom plus one or two other fixes it's no longer damp (except outside as we're near lakes/river).But I did a quick search and up pops this thing about a pink mould....wtf

At least it's pretty I suppose! X)
Look on eBay for shower seals there not expensive around a few pounds. Replace it for a similar one. I never come across a pink colured seal stain so I think it's most likely the seal itself.
I wouldn't hold out your hopes on the use of cleaning products to remove the biofilm, you'll need to physically break it down and clean afterwards with cleaning product.
Thank you everyone for your input. I have started looking for Anti Fungal shower door seal.

The door was purchased from Victoria Plumb but they are not helping at all even though it was installed 6 months ago & is regularly cleaned.

I am asking them to send me replacement seals but they are refusing to do so.

I got in touch with various tradesperson & they simply blamed with plastic as they believe it's made of very poor quality.

Shall I just buy them off ebay as I also need to replace the magnetic seal as well which has also started turning pink ?
jamilayz

Thank you everyone for your input. I have started looking for Anti Fungal … Thank you everyone for your input. I have started looking for Anti Fungal shower door seal.The door was purchased from Victoria Plumb but they are not helping at all even though it was installed 6 months ago & is regularly cleaned.I am asking them to send me replacement seals but they are refusing to do so.I got in touch with various tradesperson & they simply blamed with plastic as they believe it's made of very poor quality.Shall I just buy them off ebay as I also need to replace the magnetic seal as well which has also started turning pink ?

I'd look at fixing the cause...... condensation
Do you have an extractor fan? if yes is it working effectively? does it come on when the shower is used?

Of course you can spend money replacing the seals but will it eventually need replacing again later on?
philphil61

I'd look at fixing the cause...... condensationDo you have an extractor … I'd look at fixing the cause...... condensationDo you have an extractor fan? if yes is it working effectively? does it come on when the shower is used?Of course you can spend money replacing the seals but will it eventually need replacing again later on?

Yes I have got two extractor fans & they are both timer versions.

Their extraction rate is pretty good. I don't know why I am getting pink colour mould.
jamilayz

Yes I have got two extractor fans & they are both timer versions.Their … Yes I have got two extractor fans & they are both timer versions.Their extraction rate is pretty good. I don't know why I am getting pink colour mould.

this stuff is very good, quite expensive and you can get it at other retailers but does the job, sometimes we get pink but to be honest put it down to the different products used in the shower with a house full, never thought it was mould though
lakeland.co.uk/202…ver
jamilayz

Yes I have got two extractor fans & they are both timer versions.Their … Yes I have got two extractor fans & they are both timer versions.Their extraction rate is pretty good. I don't know why I am getting pink colour mould.

I'm not trying to teach you (hope you understand) but mould is only present because of damp/condensation (that's why I replied you need to fix the cause).

2 x extractors fans in one bathroom?
timer fans - they get turned on by what method? by humidity level or when someone remembers or when power turned on to the shower
how long do they stay on?
where is the intake?
where does the extracted air go to?
We had condensation problem before but when our bathroom was refurbished the tradesperson advised to put two fans in instead of one so we did that.

The fans are manually turned on every time whenever someone wants to take a shower but are turned off approximately 15 minutes after the showering has been done.

One intake is just above the shower enclosure & the second one is on the other side of the bathroom.

The extracted air goes into the loft which is then further carried through pipes leading to roof vents.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions