Getting rid of Virgin TV. Is Amazon Fire stick the best option?

Found 28th Sep 2017
My husband is not that happy but £70 per month was too much. Now on 200mbps for £25. We watch Netflix and have a Chromecast, my husband likes watching NBA and UFC (my brother has given me his BT sport login but my husband says he won't be able to watch everything he needs to in it). I love watching Australian Masterchef and now I'm thinking how will I get to watch it? I was going to get a TV recorder but someone said it was dead technology and you should stream instead. Was looking at an Amazon fire box but they've been discontinued now and won't be released for a while. So is a fire stick my best option? I've heard of roku (?) and kodi (?) I'm so confused as to what to do now. Has anyone got any advise for this dumbo? X

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
14 Comments

As in to watch illegal streams? Or to watch catch up tv?

Amazon fire box has upgraded. In no way has it been discontinued.

Original Poster

What are illegal streams? I thought it was a list of things you could watch from the device?

watching anything live from Kodi is a ballache, I wouldn't bother

benjammin31625 m ago

watching anything live from Kodi is a ballache, I wouldn't bother

Agreed. It's just not reliable.

Original Poster

Is kodi OK to watch on demand sort of stuff?

Have a look at now tv...great for catchup and passes for movies,entertainment and sport, basically sky but without the contract

Phone virgin and tell them you want to leave and hopefully they'll give you a better deal.
You won't enjoy 'live' TV via an illegal stream through Kodi or that kind of thing

We have got rid of sky for the same reason, now just use catch-up instead of recording (at least you watch it instead of recording a whole series and never having the time to watch it) Now Tv, Netflix and Amazon TV (i tend to use Prime alot) I should have done it years ago.
Edited by: "daletharper" 29th Sep 2017

Whoever told you that recording tv was a dead technology is an idiot

I have kodi, torrents, terrarium TV etc but 90% of what I watch is recorded on my humax freeview pvr

Get netflix (you can share accounts with friends) (between £36-£120 a year)
Get Amazon prime (very cheap is a student in your house) (£49-79 a year)
Get now TV passes for cheap (usually less than a fiver for monthly movie access, less for entertainment, start stop whenever)
BT sport (free from brother)
Pub (£4-£50 for a pint to sit and watch a football match)
Get freesat (£100ish one off)
Run the top two from a new firestick/box (£79 ish one off)

If you at pretty techno illiterate don't bother with illegal Kodi addons

Original Poster

Thank you for everyone's comments x x

roku box would be your best option as it covers most if not all the catch up services. prime, Netflix,iplayer, itv hub, c4, c5.

yeah, if you can find a group to share accounts with you'll save even more.

EN1GMA13 h, 51 m ago

roku box would be your best option as it covers most if not all the catch …roku box would be your best option as it covers most if not all the catch up services. prime, Netflix,iplayer, itv hub, c4, c5. yeah, if you can find a group to share accounts with you'll save even more.

Or better still, a humax freeview pvr (BT dtr-t2100 is only about £40 from cex and is a brilliant bit of kit)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants