Getting something back from an ex...

Found 5th Sep 2017
Split with my ex wife just over 3 years ago, we had a flat together. Cut a long story short, I pretty much paid for everything within the flat, but came away with literally just 1 thing - an Amp. Even down to that, she kicked off. Anyway, one thing I always wanted back was a Carrera mountain bike which I bought brand new (and hadn't used) just as we split.

Shes now moving house and I asked if I can have my bike back (I've asked several times over the last couple of years) and she's said that I owe her money, which she lent for a car deposit. She did lend me money, however, she owes me twice what I owe her.

I know the reality is, I have to pretty much write this bike off. But is there anything I can do? I have all the receipts and can prove its mine. Was approx £500 when i bought it and its still never been used... Its stored in a communal bike lock up, so there's no way I can access it. Not really sure what to say to appeal to her better nature (though she clearly doesn't have one and is just doing this out of spite).

I'm teaching our 6yr old boy to ride a bike and want to be able to bike riding with him... kinda begrudge having to buy another bike when I know I have a perfectly good, relatively expensive one already
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Segata-Sanshiro4 m ago

Why don't try being nice to get you liked her enough to breed, why did you …Why don't try being nice to get you liked her enough to breed, why did you break up when you have a young child

Not that it is anyone's business - but just a guess.
Original Poster
Segata-Sanshiro14 h, 41 m ago

Why don't try being nice to get you liked her enough to breed, why did you …Why don't try being nice to get you liked her enough to breed, why did you break up when you have a young child

Not that it's any of your business, but she had an affair for a year behind my back.... So you can get off your moral high ground now
19 Comments
zero you can do, you gave it away.
Wait for someone to go into the communal bike lock up then go in and take it...
Sounds like you don't lke her either so what do you expect, is the 6 year old hers
CoeK5 m ago

Wait for someone to go into the communal bike lock up then go in and take …Wait for someone to go into the communal bike lock up then go in and take it...

Take ya reciepts though
Original Poster
Segata-Sanshiro2 m ago

Sounds like you don't lke her either so what do you expect, is the 6 year …Sounds like you don't lke her either so what do you expect, is the 6 year old hers

Yeah shes the mum...
Judge Rinder is your only option I'm afraid.
Original Poster
davewave20 m ago

zero you can do, you gave it away.

Wasn't so much that I gave it away, it was more that she refused to let me in to the property to let me get anything that was mine....
Be honest, does she dislike you because you were riding but not the bike... Horse riding for example.
Edited by: "CoeK" 5th Sep 2017
mcscoobs4 m ago

Yeah shes the mum...

Why don't try being nice to get you liked her enough to breed, why did you break up when you have a young child
Segata-Sanshiro4 m ago

Saturn9 m ago

You win this thread
Saturn11 m ago

Thought as much, why are people so shamelessly lacking devotion to their families these days
Segata-Sanshiro21 m ago

Thought as much, why are people so shamelessly lacking devotion to their …Thought as much, why are people so shamelessly lacking devotion to their families these days

He split with his ex 3 years ago. I don't think we should assume he lacks devotion to his family based on that.
Tell her you've decided you no longer want it and to sell iton gumtree then keep checking on gumtree or shpock and send someone else round there to buy it back.
Original Poster
Segata-Sanshiro14 h, 41 m ago

Not that it's any of your business, but she had an affair for a year behind my back.... So you can get off your moral high ground now
pay a solicitor to send out a letter as a scare tactic
mcscoobs1 h, 34 m ago

Not that it's any of your business, but she had an affair for a year …Not that it's any of your business, but she had an affair for a year behind my back.... So you can get off your moral high ground now

You don't have to justify yourself to anyone. If she cheated, stabbed you with a bottle or just got ugly you can leave for any reason you want. It is clear you still see your kid so I'm not sure where the idea you lack devotion to your family comes from, that is other people bringing in their own baggage.
Small claims court - you bought it, you did not gift it to her - she has no right to it.
Just explain that to her, that you want to ride along with your child, surely she should see it's for your child's best interest spending quality time together. Or judge rinder, lol, but best not to rock the boat over a bike.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants