Getting something from US Ebay to the UK

Found 4th Jul
To avoid duty etc, I thought I could get the thing simply delivered to a friend at a US address, but it seems by Ebay's rules, I can't simply do that and I can't pay by paypal. Amazon is different, I've successfully had things sent to Japan! whilst I was there.
A US person has to actually buy the thing hi/her self!
I don't want my friend to have to do that. It is a 'buy it now' auction but it's enough that he has to go to the trouble of sending it on to me.
I know about Reship which gives you a free US address, but it won't work for this and it's expensive and probably will still get import duty etc.
This thing is second-hand so its real value is questionable anyway.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
What is the question?
windym7 m ago

What is the question?

Any advice as to how to do it with US Ebay? It must be possible some way? And a common problem
Edited by: "jasee" 4th Jul
Would you like some hints about benefit fraud too?
How about shoplifting techniques?
Adult8 m ago

Would you like some hints about benefit fraud too?How about shoplifting …Would you like some hints about benefit fraud too?How about shoplifting techniques?

Oh sure, thanks
I'm looking for a legitimate way
Edited by: "jasee" 4th Jul
There isn't a legit way to not pay import duty.

You can change your ebay and paypal addresses to a us one.

Any cheap flights? how big is this thing and how expensive.
More important what is it?
talset3 m ago

More important what is it?

An oldish (£65 approx) digital camera but rarish
mas9921 m ago

There isn't a legit way to not pay import duty.You can change your ebay …There isn't a legit way to not pay import duty.You can change your ebay and paypal addresses to a us one.Any cheap flights? how big is this thing and how expensive.

Thanks, but probably not worth it.I should have mentioned the price (see above/below)
Just pay the import duty on it if they charge it, nothing you can do to avoid it unless you know someone who is coming to the uk from the us that can put it in their suitcase.
You could always ask the seller to send it direct and mark it as a gift and the value as low.
Of course this means it wouldn't be insured for the full price so should anything go wrong your out and there is still the chance of getting hit by custom charges.
If you are physically unable to purchase then it sounds like the seller only posts within their own country. Have you tried asking the seller if they will ship it to the UK? If they do, then just pay the duty which is due when it's imported. Note that the amount of item and postage combined is the amount that is used to calculate the duty i.e. you pay on the total amount not just the item.

Even better would be to ask the seller to add it to eBay's GSP. That way the postage is cheaper for them and the postage/import charges are shown to you on the listing and you pay them up front.
Edited by: "windym" 4th Jul
add your friends address as one of your addresses on ebay?

that's worked for me in the past.
lastjunkie8 m ago

add your friends address as one of your addresses on ebay?that's worked …add your friends address as one of your addresses on ebay?that's worked for me in the past.

Well if that works then that solves the problem, thanks
jasee20 m ago

Well if that works then that solves the problem, thanks

might be that they've closed that loophole.

you can then get them to post it as a gift.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants