Getting spam e-mails from a friend's e-mail account.

11 replies
Found 11th Apr 2011
I get spam e-mails from a friend's e-mail account, is this a virus on their computer sending the spam, or a scammer with their password sending them from elsewhere or just someone using their address book and spoofing their e-mail address?

How would we work out which?? It looks to have come from their e-mail address, but I don't know if they need to be looking for viruses, changing their password, or nothing they could do about their e-mail address being spoofed one would assume?

Thanks for all help!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
11 Comments

Banned

tbh i'd get a new friend and block any emails from them

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

tbh i'd get a new friend and block any emails from them

errr, thanks?

their account has been hacked they need to change their email password

Original Poster

wickedteen

their account has been hacked they need to change their email password

Yeah I assume it's something like that. How do I know whether it's that or just someone spoofing the e-mail address?

Obviously virus check and password change is a top priority still!

just get your friend to change their password, its not yours that needs doing

Original Poster

wickedteen

just get your friend to change their password, its not yours that needs … just get your friend to change their password, its not yours that needs doing

Yeah I know!

Was just wondering how one would tell if it's someone using their account to send spam, or just simply spoofing the address? I assume the fact that it's sent to me suggests that the spammers have access to my friend's address book?

Banned

is it a hotmail one?

I get daily ones from a mate and he had changed his password too. I just block him now lol

Original Poster

csiman

is it a hotmail one?I get daily ones from a mate and he had changed his … is it a hotmail one?I get daily ones from a mate and he had changed his password too. I just block him now lol

No it's AOL.

Banned

Benjimoron

No it's AOL.

AOL! There you go then lol

of my 200 email contacts, only 1 uses AOL still but even that could be an old one!
Edited by: "csiman" 12th Apr 2011

Original Poster

csiman

AOL! There you go then lol :|of my 200 email contacts, only 1 uses AOL … AOL! There you go then lol :|of my 200 email contacts, only 1 uses AOL still but even that could be an old one!

Is there something particularly wrong with it?

Banned

Benjimoron

Is there something particularly wrong with it?

barely anyone uses AOL these days as its always getting hacked and uses an interface circa 1999!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769640
    2. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet35110
    3. Premium baked beans just 99p for 4 cans from ALDI!1833
    4. Boredom1519

See more discussions