Getting stains off Gameboy Carts

13 replies
Found 19th Apr
Any tips on getting rid of the 'brown' age stains you get on Gameboy carts? I bought a few from eBay and they just won't come off!

1. Ask
  2. Gameboy
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Gameboy
13 Comments

I use Hydrogen peroxide and cotton buds, and masking tape to protect the labels.
Use a screwdriver to undo the case and the game unit to protect the unit. amazon.co.uk/d/P…ver

you need a UV light after you have applied the liquid. It wont go back to factory but it will go lighter and may need more coats. This is because they use bromide in the plastic as a fire retardant and this reacts to UV light.
Edited by: "ame2607" 19th Apr

ame2607

I use Hydrogen peroxide and cotton buds. Use a screwdriver to undo the … I use Hydrogen peroxide and cotton buds. Use a screwdriver to undo the case and the game unit to protect the unit. https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/PC-Video-Games/ZedLabz-4-5mm-gamebit-security-tool-games-consoles/B01DAWJQ7M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1492627710&sr=8-4&keywords=gameboy+screwdriver

Thanks was looking for those security bits!
Where can one buy hydrogen peroxide, do they sell them in supermarkets or is it online only?

Rid1

Thanks was looking for those security bits!Where can one buy hydrogen … Thanks was looking for those security bits!Where can one buy hydrogen peroxide, do they sell them in supermarkets or is it online only?

​used to be used to dye hair "peroxide blonde" unless that was a myth, maybe boots or superdrug?

Baby wipes always work for me

Original Poster

stargatefan

Baby wipes always work for me

These are stains that are stained into the plastic though. I've tried wipes and I tried cillit bang!

superfreddy

These are stains that are stained into the plastic though. I've tried … These are stains that are stained into the plastic though. I've tried wipes and I tried cillit bang!

Ahh, I see... then I guess if in doubt choose the previous suggestion of the peroxide

Hope the advice they give you helps

It basically bleaches it back to grey again but wont get it to the factory colour.

Original Poster

ame2607

It basically bleaches it back to grey again but wont get it to the … It basically bleaches it back to grey again but wont get it to the factory colour.

Seems a bit extreme. I need to buy a UV light and peroxide to do this?!

superfreddy

Seems a bit extreme. I need to buy a UV light and peroxide to do this?!

Yeah i agree. Its the only method i have found that works and then it may take 2-3sessions to get it to near factory. Theres a few guides on youtube and google.

Cilit bang mate, works every time on stains. Never tried it on game carts though

Dear God Nooooo, not Cilit nor other abrasives.

The discolouring sounds like foxing to me, a mold to be precise. Such harsh chemicals strip the colour, bleaching, and remove the polish making pictures and surfaces more prone to further spoiling (though they will definitely kill the infection, like a 5lb hammer to an ant).

The best, and least harmful cleaner is lighter fluid. Applied to a clean, dense (tightly knitted, micro-cloth. To kill the infection use extremely diluted sterilising fluid, Miltons et al, again applied the same way. In truth thin bleach is the basis of such fluids, Miltons is but diluted thin bleach in essence, but make sure it is barely detectable to smell either liquid you choose.

Personally I would accept the discolouration as part of the games retro history. If it is foxing the stain will remain but at least not get any worse after the disinfecting.

Honestly good people, my work involves cleaning and preserving photographs, amongst other paper mediums. If it has a polished finish always go with the lighter fluid first, tested on a small area to start with.

Good luck with it my friend.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Coming up to bonfire night ...2128
    2. word association Game74244893
    3. sweet Sundays codes need to be redeemed by 23.59 on the 19th of October56
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769294

See more discussions