Groups
    EXPIRED

Gettng a gas fire fitted... How much??

Banned

Just bought an absolute bargain gas fire from B&Q. Called Westminster Multiflue. To be honest, I only bought it because it was such a good deal and it seemed more sensible to get a new one since I was getting a new hearth and fire surround and would need a gas fitter anyway to get the panel fitted the fire.

Obviously it didn't come supplied with a free fit, so need to sort a fitter. I just plonked it onto "mybuilder.com" and was a little taken back by the first quote thats come up of £199

Its just a simple swap over replacement and to be honest, I cant see it taking more than 90 minutes to 2 hours, but guess its one of those "you need a certificate so I'm going to rip you off" scenarios.

So whats the going rate?

The fire has a flue at the back, but no chimney involved. (In fact I dont even know if its the right one for me - but saying "multiflue" I guessed it was.

What would seem a fair price?

14 Comments

Banned

ah another cheap skate thread ...

If the gas paipe is already in place and the flue is sound when tested it should be a very simple job.

when you say no flue, is it a balanced flue fire you have or a flueless??
    Edited by: "souljacker" 21st Aug 2010

Original Poster Banned

dog_cop

ah another cheap skate thread ...

No skates.... just fires.

Shizen.... The second quote has just come up as £270.

I'm going to reply and ask him how many days does he think it will take as I thought it would only take 90 minutes!

Banned

guv

No skates.... just fires.Shizen.... The second quote has just come up as … No skates.... just fires.Shizen.... The second quote has just come up as £270.I'm going to reply and ask him how many days does he think it will take as I thought it would only take 90 minutes!

get some polish bloke or blokes in
    Edited by: "dog_cop" 21st Aug 2010

Live dangerously & do it yourself.

Looking at the fire spec you need either a chimney or a pre cast flue for that fire, I take it you have one of them?

Original Poster Banned

dog_cop

No point... they need to speak English and issue a cert.

souljacker

Looking at the fire spec you need either a chimney or a pre cast flue for … Looking at the fire spec you need either a chimney or a pre cast flue for that fire, I take it you have one of them?

I dunno! Whats a pre-cast? The existing is through the wall and the flue has a cage over it. I thought it meant that was a balanced flue.... But I really havent a clue. Like I said...... It said multiflue - I thought that would cover it.

no good for you

guv

I dunno! Whats a pre-cast? The existing is through the wall and the flue … I dunno! Whats a pre-cast? The existing is through the wall and the flue has a cage over it. I thought it meant that was a balanced flue.... But I really havent a clue. Like I said...... It said multiflue - I thought that would cover it.

you've got a balance flue fire at the moment, this needs a chimmney or flue which you haven't got

You'll need to take this back.

The only fires you can have are balanced flue ones
    Edited by: "souljacker" 21st Aug 2010

Original Poster Banned

DAMNOME

no good for you

souljacker

Looking at the fire spec you need either a chimney or a pre cast flue … Looking at the fire spec you need either a chimney or a pre cast flue for that fire, I take it you have one of them?

Oh poo!

So what is a precast? There is no chimney - and the flue is simply the other side of the wall.

So this bargain thats online for £379 that I got for £48 is bound for ebay then?

A precast is like a chimney but it's a load of square type blocks stacked on top of each other to make a sort of false chimney.

yeah no good to you unless you want to spend a lot of money building a chimney stack

Original Poster Banned

souljacker

A precast is like a chimney but it's a load of square type blocks stacked … A precast is like a chimney but it's a load of square type blocks stacked on top of each other to make a sort of false chimney.yeah no good to you unless you want to spend a lot of money building a chimney stack

LOL... I'll pass then!

So much for the bargain!

dog_cop

As long as they are qualified, then what is the problem with that?
    Do you have a problem with Polish people?

Relatives friend had one of these i think put in a while back & cost is what you are getting quoted
    Cost them i think £250
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …83141
      2. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1111
      3. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2748
      4. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2125

See more discussions