Giant escape 3 2017 hybrid bike or the Triban 500SE which is a better bike

Found 26th FebEdited by:"Jimjim84"
Hi could someone pls tell me which is a better bike between the Giant Escape 3 2017 hybrid bike vs the Triban 500SE?

Trying to decide which one to go for. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Two different style of bikes

500se is a rated entry level road only available in the 2 larger sizes. Reviewers comments are how they forgot it was entry level till they hit hills and its weight shows. Question marks on durability on microshift and wheels.

The giant is a hybrid, bonzo hates its free wheel - would be slower than the road bike, has entry level components- is more relaxed, slower and wider tyres.

Good value though on both posted on this site.

What type of riding are you intending to do?
Edited by: "Bertz99" 27th Feb
Bertz9927th Feb

Two different style of bikes500se is a rated entry level road only …Two different style of bikes500se is a rated entry level road only available in the 2 larger sizes. Reviewers comments are how they forgot it was entry level till they hit hills and its weight shows. Question marks on durability on microshift and wheels.The giant is a hybrid, bonzo hates its free wheel - would be slower than the road bike, has entry level components- is more relaxed, slower and wider tyres. Good value though on both posted on this site.What type of riding are you intending to do?

Thanks. I just need to ride to uni and around town on my street clothes.
Jimjim841 m ago

Thanks. I just need to ride to uni and around town on my street clothes.

The hybrid would sound the most appropriate for your given use case.
Bertz9927th Feb

The hybrid would sound the most appropriate for your given use case.

Thanks. I was leaning towards the 500se. Can the 500se be appropriate for my case?
Edited by: "Jimjim84" 27th Feb
Jimjim8420 m ago

Thanks. I was leaning towards the 500se. Can I still use 500se for my case?

Of course you can, its a free choice to make. Just in comparing road bikes to hybrids they are aimed at different segments.

A road bike is aimed and marketed about going fast, being as light as possible and covering distances.

A hybrid is a middle of the road type (no pun intended). They are more relaxed and upright with compromises to make it more versatile/rugged than a road bike. e.g. hence its 32mm tyres that will cope better on parks, tow paths etc which would feel skittish on a road bike.

Of course if you want something more rugged and take more abuse but in a road setup then perhaps cyclocross would be another consideration!

Am assuming you are tall if eyeing up the 500se as only the larger sizes are presently available on that model?
Edited by: "Bertz99" 27th Feb
Bertz9927th Feb

Of course you can, its a free choice to make. Just in comparing road …Of course you can, its a free choice to make. Just in comparing road bikes to hybrids they are aimed at different segments.A road bike is aimed and marketed about going fast, being as light as possible and covering distances.A hybrid is a middle of the road type (no pun intended). They are more relaxed and upright with compromises to make it more versatile/rugged than a road bike. e.g. hence its 32mm tyres that will cope better on parks, tow paths etc which would feel skittish on a road bike.Of course if you want something more rugged and take more abuse but in a road setup then perhaps cyclocross would be another consideration!Am you are tall if eyeing up the 500se as only the larger sizes are presently available on that model?

Thanks I'm 6.1. I might go for the 500se.
Edited by: "Jimjim84" 27th Feb
Jimjim8418 m ago

Thanks I'm 6.1. I might go for the 500se.

It's a very good entry level road bike. Enjoy
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants