Groups

GiffGaff email claims I've ordered a sim and created an account.. I haven't..

Received emails about my new sim and account - but i didnt sign up to anything? And have never had anything to do with GiffGaff.

How do I contact someone at giffgaff as I think someone may be using my details fraudulently.

Cheers

Ad

**UPDATE** Contacted GiffGaff via Twitter and told me to email them on [email protected]giffgaff.com - cheers for your help guys.

21 Comments

Is the email address to you in your name or us it your email address?

Maybe someone has got you an Xmas present

Are you sure it's not just someone you know sending you a free sim for the referral credit?
    Edited by: "DAMNOME" 21st Dec 2016

Original Poster

everypennycounts

Is the email address to you in your name or us it your email address?

Yes, to my email address, and is also addressed to me (by name).

Check the sender email address and compare with any known giff gaff email addresses. Very possibly phishing email as well, best rule that out before fraud.

Original Poster

MichyM

Check the sender email address and compare with any known giff gaff email … Check the sender email address and compare with any known giff gaff email addresses. Very possibly phishing email as well, best rule that out before fraud.

Had multiple emails in a short period (10 mins).. first was an order. Next two were "we've updated your details..".

If unsure just junk it. maybe be phishing

Original Poster

wansheet

If unsure just junk it. maybe be phishing

Nah it's not phishing. It contains a giffgaff username as well as my name.. If i try to password reset with the email address, nothing happens, but if i use the username, it says "we'll email you details on what to do" - but i dont get an email..

Suggests that they've changed the email address on the account already.

sounds like someone has YOUR details. try and login to giffgaff if you can't have the password reset sent to your email address, change it, login and see if there is an address to send the SIM to. you maybe able to find out more this way.

remember not to click any links in the emails until the password reset one comes through

Original Poster

waynehardy

sounds like someone has YOUR details. try and login to giffgaff if you … sounds like someone has YOUR details. try and login to giffgaff if you can't have the password reset sent to your email address, change it, login and see if there is an address to send the SIM to. you maybe able to find out more this way.remember not to click any links in the emails until the password reset one comes through

As above, i can't password reset..

If i try to password reset with the email address, nothing happens, but if i use the username, it says "we'll email you details on what to do" - but i dont get an email..

Suggests that they've changed the email address on the account already.

when you say addressed to your name.....

is your name in your email address?

IE is it [email protected]gmail.com ?

it could just be someone making a simple error such as your names are the same (hence email being alike) and they put 1 rather than 2?

I'd email customer support with your email and the username so they can check to be sure.

may be worth changing the password on your email. .. just in case you have been hacked

Original Poster

doncoop

when you say addressed to your name.....is your name in your email … when you say addressed to your name.....is your name in your email address?IE is it [email protected] ?it could just be someone making a simple error such as your names are the same (hence email being alike) and they put 1 rather than 2?I'd email customer support with your email and the username so they can check to be sure.

Email address is mine (minus a fullstop - but gmail ignores fullstops anyway).

It's impossible to email customer support without having an account - and i cant create one because my email address has already been used! (not by me).

Original Poster

**UPDATE** Contacted GiffGaff via Twitter and told me to email them on [email protected]giffgaff.com - cheers for your help guys.

adam_holcombe

Email address is mine (minus a fullstop - but gmail ignores fullstops … Email address is mine (minus a fullstop - but gmail ignores fullstops anyway). It's impossible to email customer support without having an account - and i cant create one because my email address has already been used! (not by me).

Gmail DOES NOT ignore full stops in the name. I have several different, but nearly identically named accounts, with the full stop in different places, all of them work as separate accounts.

I wouldn't worry to much about it being in your email account, I'd be checking with my bank account to see if anything had been set up to pay for this new sim, if it hasn't then its spam & nothing to worry about

May be 2 people with same name. you may be having a common name like Paul Adams

Original Poster

Gentle_Giant

Gmail DOES NOT ignore full stops in the name. I have several different, … Gmail DOES NOT ignore full stops in the name. I have several different, but nearly identically named accounts, with the full stop in different places, all of them work as separate accounts.

Mine 100% does ignore fullstops - gmail.googleblog.com/200…tml

adam_holcombe

Nah it's not phishing. It contains a giffgaff username as well as my … Nah it's not phishing. It contains a giffgaff username as well as my name.. If i try to password reset with the email address, nothing happens, but if i use the username, it says "we'll email you details on what to do" - but i dont get an email.. I got an email from 'amazon' last night a receipt for something I didn't buy. Never use any links on the email. I checked my acct on a new tab to check transactions. none thankfullySuggests that they've changed the email address on the account already.

pleased you've been able to get it sorted

adam_holcombe

Mine 100% does ignore fullstops - … Mine 100% does ignore fullstops - https://gmail.googleblog.com/2008/03/2-hidden-ways-to-get-more-from-your.html

So,

a/ the link is from 2008

b/ I just tried it and the mail was returned as undeliverable.

So, have you not updated your system software since 2008??
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions