Gift ideas for teachers

Posted 26th Oct
Starting to think of Christmas & wish to buy my daughters teachers a present she has two I was thinking around £10 pp...
anyone got any good suggestions other than the normal boring chocolates/biscuits/ flowers/mugs which I’m sure they get lots of
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I worked as a teacher for a few years and the best gifts to me personally were candles, bath bombs. After a long day a relax is needed!
Alcohol
Everyone loves a Yankee candle
42 Comments
Everyone loves a Yankee candle
I worked as a teacher for a few years and the best gifts to me personally were candles, bath bombs. After a long day a relax is needed!
Alcohol
The syllabus...
Wow £10 pp is a lot. I worked as a TA for 3 years and I really appreciated hand made things. I loved the drawings and handmade cards. We have just made salt dough figures today actually with my 7 and 3 year old which they're gonna paint tomorrow for their teachers for Christmas.
nadhaw26/10/2019 20:39

Wow £10 pp is a lot. I worked as a TA for 3 years and I really appreciated …Wow £10 pp is a lot. I worked as a TA for 3 years and I really appreciated hand made things. I loved the drawings and handmade cards. We have just made salt dough figures today actually with my 7 and 3 year old which they're gonna paint tomorrow for their teachers for Christmas.

Aww that is a really cute idea I will look online how to make, I wouldn’t normally spend that kind of money but it’s my daughters first year at school & I’ve been so amazed how well she done this term & felt they deserved a treat...
We club together to get gift cards. Saves on the tat and they can treat themselves to whatever they want.
keelybin26/10/2019 21:04

We club together to get gift cards. Saves on the tat and they can treat …We club together to get gift cards. Saves on the tat and they can treat themselves to whatever they want.

I was thinking a gift voucher good idea perhaps speak to the mums thank you
We put together & get the teacher & TAs a meal voucher, better than a load of
Everyone loves a gift voucher
Back in July my granddaughter gave her teacher a Yankee candle and made her a bracelet with her beads helped by Nanny
Handmade cards.
Other than that teachers are paid for their jobs.
We usually club together and get gift vouchers.
I can see why candles are popular but as a teacher that receives gifts at both Christmas and the end of term you are probably going to end up pretty quickly with more candles than you can actually burn. It's the same with chocolates, my wife is a teacher and found it awkward when she was trying to eat healthily and lose weight but would end up with a dozen boxes of chocolates at Christmas. I do like the idea bath bombs though, they are very practical, fairly inexpensive, and easily used.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 26th Oct
AMaky26/10/2019 21:38

Handmade cards.Other than that teachers are paid for their jobs.

Appreciation goes a long way no matter what it is. I buy christmas gifts for my dentist, Dr and postman.

When I was pregnant with my first baby one of my students made me a baby memory box from an old paper storage box and she backed it all in personalised baby bits like his name, due date and other baby paraphernalia. We still use it now.

Yes, we are paid for our jobs. Wages aren't amazing for the sacrifices we make daily. Just like so many other people out there who give so much to their jobs outside of working hours.
Edited by: "Punkrock182" 26th Oct
Punkrock18226/10/2019 21:45

Appreciation goes a long way no matter what it is. I buy christmas gifts …Appreciation goes a long way no matter what it is. I buy christmas gifts for my dentist, Dr and postman. When I was pregnant with my first baby one of my students made me a baby memory box from an old paper storage box and she backed it all in personalised baby bits like his name, due date and other baby paraphernalia. We still use it now. Yes, we are paid for our jobs. Wages aren't amazing for the sacrifices we make daily. Just like so many other people out there who give so much to their jobs outside of working hours.

Everyone knows the salary before accepting the job.
Sacrifice? Ermm a bit ott. during ww2 people made sacrifices.
It's nice students make you things, however it often turns into parents competition with some spending £100s on presents to outdo each other.
After seeing the teachers’ tables and knowing a couple don’t drink or are dieting a nice mum in my sons class recommended we put in some money and split between the teacher and TAs and give them a one 4 all voucher. It worked out quite well as we each put £10 in but the teacher ended up with a £70 voucher and the TAs got around £40 I think. It was nice to see their faces and they were told to spend it on something for them to make them happy.

Obviously not an idea for everyone, but sometimes other parents get stuck too and it’s a nice way to make sure the teachers don’t get loads of choc etc.
I usually get something small and personal from my children, about £2 but it’s a silly gift (they are both very silly lol) and again they went down quite well - unicorn tape dispenser that comes out it’s bum was one
AMaky26/10/2019 22:07

Everyone knows the salary before accepting the job.Sacrifice? Ermm a bit …Everyone knows the salary before accepting the job.Sacrifice? Ermm a bit ott. during ww2 people made sacrifices. It's nice students make you things, however it often turns into parents competition with some spending £100s on presents to outdo each other.

Yes they do, just like any other job. Some people do it for the passion but like most jobs now, over time they want more and more from you without pay or time to do those additional jobs.

No, I don't think it is OTT. Referencing a world war is though? Just to add, I am extremely grateful for the sacrifices men, women and children made and I personally do a lot of work in that sector for remembrance, but this isn't the forum for that discussion.

Some parents are happy to spend a lot but it is absolutely not expected at all. When I worked on an estate where families really struggled financially and the parents were amazing. They made me a homemade cake for my birthday, sent me emails and phone calls of thanks and just seeing the difference in their children was more than enough for me.

I guess we just have different views which is fine. The world would be a boring place if we all thought the same on everything!

I bought my son's teacher a reuseable coffee cup, he will make her a personalised card at home and I've got some personalised stickers which are about £3 on eBay that she can use in work.
I use to by gifts for the teachers when my daughter was at school. However now that I work in a school, I would think twice before buying.

All of the teachers I know start off from different salary ranges depending on experience. They then have addons for additional responsibility anywhere between £3k - £9k plus.

One example, I know someone who teaches Geography, they get £30k basic, additional £3k for managing student data. They also are 2nd in command and get an additional £5k. £38k in total.

Imagine buying gifts or thank you card for your airline pilot when you arrive back from holiday. Buying gifts or thank you card for the checkout person. It their job and duty to do so.

You may feel that you need to buy gifts or cards, but hey its your life, your money, your choice.
Pot plant?
Haircut_10026/10/2019 23:29

Not sure about that, last thing we need is a bunch of stoned teachers in …Not sure about that, last thing we need is a bunch of stoned teachers in school.

A fair point.
Try @rose.a.bella on Instagram they do forever roses in Keyrings
Is this the world we live in now?
It should be illegal to "tip" people who work in public service.
All you are doing is bribing someone to like your child whilst the child of somebody on benefits who can't afford it will be treated differently.
redcantona27/10/2019 00:38

Is this the world we live in now? It should be illegal to "tip" people who …Is this the world we live in now? It should be illegal to "tip" people who work in public service.All you are doing is bribing someone to like your child whilst the child of somebody on benefits who can't afford it will be treated differently.

Nonsense
horsepills27/10/2019 01:23

Nonsense

Just "nonsense"?
No counter argument?
Perhaps you were also enabled when growing up.
Proof of my first comment.
I'm a teacher. I love and cherish all the gifts I receive and always make use of them somehow but my all-time favourites are:

• Candle
• Mug
• Calendar
• Diary
• Any type of stationery
Maybe it should be performance related. If the grammar on this thread is anything to go by then Santa's sack would be somewhat empty.
My suggestion would be either a therapy session or some body armour.
notalwaysright1927/10/2019 01:24

I'm a teacher. I love and cherish all the gifts I receive and always make …I'm a teacher. I love and cherish all the gifts I receive and always make use of them somehow but my all-time favourites are:• Candle• Mug• Calendar• Diary• Any type of stationery

Why would you beg for gifts from strangers?
Why not just tell your pupils not to gift you anything (unless it's hand made) because you understand that money may be tight for some people?
redcantona27/10/2019 01:36

Why would you beg for gifts from strangers?Why not just tell your pupils …Why would you beg for gifts from strangers?Why not just tell your pupils not to gift you anything (unless it's hand made) because you understand that money may be tight for some people?

Where did they say anything about asking for gifts.

They simply stated that they are thankful for all the gifts they received and what some of the favourites were out of previously received gifts, to give the op an idea of what gifts teacher may like.

Really can’t understand why you having a go at this poster.

Seems really uncalled for and quite rude
myusernamehasgone23427/10/2019 05:46

Where did they say anything about asking for gifts.They simply stated that …Where did they say anything about asking for gifts.They simply stated that they are thankful for all the gifts they received and what some of the favourites were out of previously received gifts, to give the op an idea of what gifts teacher may like. Really can’t understand why you having a go at this poster.Seems really uncalled for and quite rude

Thank you
I like to browse charity shops and it always amuses me the amount of mugs and tat with "worlds best teacher" printed on it.
Clearly said teacher really appreciated that gift!
redcantona27/10/2019 01:39

Just "nonsense"?No counter argument?Perhaps you were also enabled when …Just "nonsense"?No counter argument?Perhaps you were also enabled when growing up.Proof of my first comment.

I'm not going to provide a counter argument because you're clearly just trying to wind people up.
Whatever happened to apples, they not suffice any more?

Is this the world we live in now? It should be illegal to "tip" people who …Is this the world we live in now? It should be illegal to "tip" people who work in public service.All you are doing is bribing someone to like your child whilst the child of somebody on benefits who can't afford it will be treated differently.

I don’t think buying a gift to show appreciation is bribing them to like my child what so ever
notalwaysright1927/10/2019 01:24

I'm a teacher. I love and cherish all the gifts I receive and always make …I'm a teacher. I love and cherish all the gifts I receive and always make use of them somehow but my all-time favourites are:• Candle• Mug• Calendar• Diary• Any type of stationery

Do you not find that you have a collection of about 50 mugs stashed in a cupboard at home that you never use as you have so many?
Some teachers and TAs go above and beyond for your child, its nice to give them something to show you have appreciated this. As a mum and a TA i can see it from both sides but i know all gifts are appreciated no matter how big or small, it’s the thought that counts and nothing is ever expected.
Are you also going to buy gifts for your street cleaners, dustbin men, nurses, police?
Haircut_10027/10/2019 09:26

Do you not find that you have a collection of about 50 mugs stashed in a …Do you not find that you have a collection of about 50 mugs stashed in a cupboard at home that you never use as you have so many?

I've got an unlimited supply of mugs and I love it. It's become a bit of a hobby now. Most of them have my name on courtesy of my beloved students.

We tend to use all of them throughout the week. They just keep getting rotated really. I can't say there's a single mug that's not been used.

There was a time when I had no mugs and actually had to buy them those days are long gone.
louloupop0227/10/2019 08:40

I don’t think buying a gift to show appreciation is bribing them to like m …I don’t think buying a gift to show appreciation is bribing them to like my child what so ever

I see it as a thank you for having to put up with my child

Certainly not a bribe in any form.

If you were trying to bribe them wouldn’t you send in gifts at the start of the term.

I have given various presents to various teachers over the years, from personalised diary’s to getting the kids to make homemade decorations when I felt staff had gone above and beyond. I’m not remotely interested in competing with other parents to give the best gift.

My son has specifically asked to get his teacher and teaching assistant a gift this year for Christmas.

They must be really helping him if he has requested something for them and I will be guided by him what to get.

Unless it’s a ridiculous request of course.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants