Gifted Children

Found 14th Dec 2017
My DD is currently yr3 and doing 'really' well. Often she finds the works school boring, especially in Maths. Last year (yr.2) I have tested her with the old year 6 SAT papers and she scored an average over 90%.
Spoken to the school (in many occasions), they seems not bothered (or don't know what to do). Is there something I can do? Is there any links from the council or funding that the school SENCO can help?
Many thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Direct debit?
Just pretend we're on netmums for a moment.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 14th Dec 2017
Why do you keep talking about Direct Debits?
23 Comments
She sounds very talented and should be encouraged and the school should be setting her work that challenges her .
I would have another word with school and make your case clear - explaining that she needs to be challenged more than the school are doing at present-they do get pupil premium for pupils who would qualify for free school meals which should be used to give extra time and resources to those children
If she doesn't fall into that category I would ask to see the head and explain that you are worried she is not being challenged-ask how the children are taught -are they all taught the same curriculum (hope not )
How are the lessons differentiated for different abilities- if that doesn't work ask one if the governors to bring it up at the governors meeting-that's what governors are for -to investigate parental concerns is one of their roles.
A bright child can very easily become bored and naughty -if all else fails ask to change schools
I hope this helps
Ex headteacher of an outstanding school xx
Has she been denoted as Gifted and Talented or Mable (more able) by the school. if so that also is a gateway into extra more challenging activities both during and after school time?
As far as I'm aware any letter to the school governors has to be sent via the headteacher and it is at their discretion if they pass it on or not. If the headteacher doesn't think or want to know about your concern then that avenue might be closed to you. I might be very wrong, perhaps @dennis57 can confirm and by the way his advice is very very good and how I wish all heads had his outlook nowadays
Direct debit?
Just pretend we're on netmums for a moment.
What can I expect the school to do? Use the student premium to contract someone to teach her once a week? Sorry that I sounds pessimistic, tried so many times and attempted to look for something 'official' to help the school to help my DD, but still going no where
Why do you keep talking about Direct Debits?
HotDealAlert50 m ago

What can I expect the school to do? Use the student premium to contract …What can I expect the school to do? Use the student premium to contract someone to teach her once a week? Sorry that I sounds pessimistic, tried so many times and attempted to look for something 'official' to help the school to help my DD, but still going no where

The pupil premium if you qualify would barely cover an hours extra lessons a week from a one to one support teacher so i think you are right not to expect that as an outcome . Link below gives figures and has links to how the funding is best spent.
gov.uk/gui…ngs

I would talk to your child's teacher again , go armed with information as to why you believe she needs more assistance. Children can be bored if they find work too easy but I would be surprised if the teacher isn't using multi level work especially for maths. However much as we all push for the best for our children, the teacher can't provide 30 different versions of all lessons to suit everyone in the class , so its important to have a realistic idea of what you are looking for. Have you also looked at scholarships for local private schools if you believe she would be able to pass the entrance tests ? There may be some scope there .
Thank you Tinkerbellian. Thought about private school before, but my financial situation won't allow me to pay for the 50% of the fee and the bursary seems quite difficult to get do I have eliminated that. The link you provided on pupil premium has loads of info and I will look into that later at night. Is there anything else I could look into? Thanks again
Toptrumpet1 h, 51 m ago

Has she been denoted as Gifted and Talented or Mable (more able) by the …Has she been denoted as Gifted and Talented or Mable (more able) by the school. if so that also is a gateway into extra more challenging activities both during and after school time?

Every school has this gifted and talented scheme? What do they do different from the rest? Do you have any more info or link? Sorry for the trouble. Thanks.
My son was denoted as gifted and talented in Reception year (must have been a mistake), remember getting a booklet from the local authority about extra curriculum activities he could join in to mix with other G&T kids. (Never went)
While I try and find more info I found this piece on what a local school to me says on the subject Sutton, which I would of thought every Ofsted school should have within its framework.
content might give you some ideas to ask questions on what the school policy is and what do they actually do for more able children etc, Just ask what actual provisions do they have in place for most able students
I wonder if she can get a scholarship into a fancy prep school who will have the facilities to get the most out of her?!
Worth enquiring about just in case they can help.
The trouble is many many school mums think their little ones are the best in the class, so the headteacher probably thinks yeah, yeah another one.
You really need to be able to substantiate why you think your daughter is more able than the others. Take the year 6 sat papers with you and show them or get an independent letter from a private tutor who can assess her
Hi denni here(I'm a She by the way)
governors should make themselves known to the school community
they can pass in any concerns /ideas etc to the chair of governors to put on the agenda at the next meeting
if the school community doesn't know who they are then a letter explaining what you would like to say -can be left at the school office addressed to the chair of governors - which he will read and bring up at the next meeting .
as for differentiation I had a 360 pupil infant school where we streamed according to ability so that every child was taught at their level -this worked extremely well ( back to good old days) and I think this is an appropriate way to teach , the children gain confidence and learn at their own pace
hope this helps.
denni
reading info on internet, saying the government had scrapped the G&T Learner Academy in 2010 - is this related? what is the new replacement scheme called? I am totally confused.
HotDealAlert4 h, 21 m ago

reading info on internet, saying the government had scrapped the G&T …reading info on internet, saying the government had scrapped the G&T Learner Academy in 2010 - is this related? what is the new replacement scheme called? I am totally confused.

Looks like you're right. In 2010 Gifted and Talented was scrapped and funds redirected to help children from disadvantaged ­backgrounds to get to university.
My son (now 14) thinks that the silent 'scheme' is now called Mable (most able). Can't seem to find much on google - probably because it's not promoted anymore
If you google Most able children primary, should come up with Nace and other information which might help. the pupil premium money is ringfenced for those on low incomes/disadvantaged children.
if you really want to baffle the head - refer them to article 29 of the UN Convention on the Rights of the child to an education that should help their mind, body and talents be the best they can.
Thanks toptrumpet. I will look at the article 29 you mention later, hopefully it won't make the situation worse just because the school think that we are the trouble makers. LOL
I think you're going to have an uphill struggle with the school, hopefully her class teacher will see her ablility and go from there.
good luck anyway
My daughter was on the gifted and able scheme at primary school. She was not given any extra time, work, lessons etc despite me having numerous meetings with teachers and the head. My daughter would always complain that the work was too easy even though she was doing work which was for pupils 3 years above her. In the end her teachers just used her as an extra teaching assistant to help the less able pupils so she ended up learning nothing. Much better at secondary school as the classes are ability based. Like you we looked at the private route and she was offered a place but she chose to go to a state school and she is doing fantasticly well. I would say let your daughter enjoy primary and hopefully she will be pushed and supported at secondary.
Edited by: "pookypony" 16th Dec 2017
@pookypony
totally agree with you.
my son was always sat next to a child that needed bringing up to speed with the rest of the class. he hated it and I'm sure it was engineered that way.
*Sigh*
This is exactly what is happening to my daughter, sitting in front of the teacher's desk and when there was a student go to ask questions, she would push the student to my daughter for explanations......
When we ask about this (of not learning in school), the teacher said it would be beneficial to help my daughter if she can explain/teach other children and not just do it herself....
Well that's putting a spin on it. And how do the other kids feel, being taught by another pupil? It's hardlygoing to benefit their self esteem. Just wait until your daughter starts being called the class swot or teachers pet.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants