gigabit ethernet

Found 20th Feb
I have an older motherboard PC about 8 or so years old. On the motherboard there is a gigabit ethernet port which is used by a cat 5 or cat 6 cable. How can I enable the gigabit transfer speed as everytime I try to alter the settings it only manages 100mbps.
Community Updates
AskElectronics
12 Comments
If its gigabit, It will automatically enable if the driver are right. Check your switch is gigabit capable if using one aswell. Also check the cables as cheap ones sometimes dont work effectively.
Edited by: "master10" 20th Feb
Are you using your router to network everything?
Normally they run at 100.
I have the ethernet cable from my PC to EE adsl router box, though the connection speed is always at 100. I have never managed to get 1000 on the desktop. Had no problem on laptop with a 802.11ac network card
costas123426 m ago

I have the ethernet cable from my PC to EE adsl router box, though the …I have the ethernet cable from my PC to EE adsl router box, though the connection speed is always at 100. I have never managed to get 1000 on the desktop. Had no problem on laptop with a 802.11ac network card

Which EE router do you have?
The 1st gen of Bright box only as 10/100 network ports.
I have brightbox 2
It will down the speed to the lowest common denominator on the network. Do you have anything else physically plugged into the router? Try disconnecting everything except your LAN cable to the desktop. How is it now?
Is it a major issue anyway - your ADSL speed is unlikely to be >100Mbps so the only difference would be traffic between devices within your home.
Edited by: "Ar460rn" 20th Feb
According to the EE pages, only port 4 is Gigabit. The rest will be 100Mb.
ok thanks so much Oneday77 and Ar46rn very helpful
Should have read the instructions
Oneday774 h, 58 m ago

It will down the speed to the lowest common denominator on the network. Do …It will down the speed to the lowest common denominator on the network. Do you have anything else physically plugged into the router? Try disconnecting everything except your LAN cable to the desktop. How is it now?

That's not correct at all, you can happily run a mix and all will run at their own speeds. Imagine on a corporate network of thousands of devices, you seriously think plugging one slower device in could cripple the whole network? I'm happily running a mix all over my network and easily get gigabit speeds on devices that support it.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 20th Feb
dcx_badass19 m ago

That's not correct at all, you can happily run a mix and all will run at …That's not correct at all, you can happily run a mix and all will run at their own speeds. Imagine on a corporate network of thousands of devices, you seriously think plugging one slower device in could cripple the whole network? I'm happily running a mix all over my network and easily get gigabit speeds on devices that support it.

Fair point. Though I’m sure there were some cases where that can be the root of all evils.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants