Gigabit PCI Network Interface Card for Dell 546 computer

Found 9th Oct 2017
Looking for a Gigabit PCI Network Interface Card for an old 2009 Dell 546 computer. ISP upped internet speed to 100Mbps and OEM 10/100 card can't give full speed. Any recommendations, preferably cheap but compatible. Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Not familiar with your desktop but have played with plenty of Dells - I would expect any PCI card would be compatible - just check you have a spare slot available. This is as cheap as you're likely to get ...... ebay.co.uk/itm…rE3

Before you do this are you sure you're actually getting 100Mbps (I assume from Virgin) - this is the max you're meant to get - but don't always! Might be worth checking with a borrowed laptop first.
Van19735 m ago

This is as cheap as you're likely to get

That's PCI-Express rather than PCI so it wouldn't be compatible if that's the one he has free.

Other than getting the right slot and getting something with drivers for whichever operating system you're willing (presumably Windows 7 or 10) then there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.
Thanks both. I've looked and some say 32 bit, is that relevant? The 546 has one PCI-(E) slot, all others free. Is it worth bothering with, I get 92Mbps on Speedtest.net, this would take it it to 109 Mbps at best. Oh, Windows 7.
Edited by: "Zeb" 9th Oct 2017
Does your router have a gigabit port on it?
Zeb2 h, 0 m ago

Thanks both. I've looked and some say 32 bit, is that relevant? The 546 …Thanks both. I've looked and some say 32 bit, is that relevant? The 546 has one PCI-(E) slot, all others free. Is it worth bothering with, I get 92Mbps on Speedtest.net, this would take it it to 109 Mbps at best. Oh, Windows 7.

32-bit is the standard PCI for desktops, there was a 64-bit version but it was only ever used for servers and maybe some workstations.

It's got nothing to do whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit and is only for PCI cards, not PCI-E.
Zeb2 h, 2 m ago

Thanks both. I've looked and some say 32 bit, is that relevant? The 546 …Thanks both. I've looked and some say 32 bit, is that relevant? The 546 has one PCI-(E) slot, all others free. Is it worth bothering with, I get 92Mbps on Speedtest.net, this would take it it to 109 Mbps at best. Oh, Windows 7.

I doubt you would notice the difference between 92 and 109Mbps. Only benefit would be if you did a lot of downloading - saving of 20% in time would be worth having, but to load a website I doubt you'd notice much difference.
There's four gigabit ports, it's a superhub 2. It's a 64bit AMD computer. I've seen a TP-LINK TG-3269 at Currys for £5.99. I'm just trying to convince myself it's not that important. Thanks for all your help.

Edit now £5.99
Edited by: "Zeb" 15th Dec 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants