Girona - Barcelona. Anyone been to Barcelona via that airport?

20 replies
Found 2nd Nov 2009
I've just booked a holiday for me and the Mrs. and 3 friends to Barcelona. Using Ryanair was much cheaper but it meant arriving in Girona. Does anyone know how difficult it's going to be to get from Girona to Barca centre and how much it may cost (approx)? We won't have any baggage with us really... just a backpack each.

Oh, and if anyone can reccomend some must see sights while in barca, I'll gladly take them on board!!

Thanks,
Chris

20 Comments

It's a long way.... about 60/70 miles i think

I thought Girona was a benefits cheque for someone called Rona.

It's roughly about an hour away you can get the train from Girona to Barca its really easy. You can do a coach transfer but it takes a while.

HTH x

My parents flew there on Ryanair and couldnt get over the fanfare they apparently play when you land?!?!?!

They didnt go into Barcelona so cant help you Im afraid

Yes many times . It takes about 70 -75 mins on the bus & you can pay in arrivals for the ticket.

girona-tourist-guide.com/en/…tml

Must see sights in Barcelona include :

Las Ramblas - just walk along & look at the statues ( people pretending to be statues )

Open top bus tour is brilliant if you get time

Have a coffee ( cafe con leche ) in restaurant on top floor of El Corte Ingles in Placa De Catalunya for fantastic views of the city . This is a great freebie ( although coffee isn't free - approx 1 euro 30 )

Nou Camp football stadium tour if you like footie. This can be done via open top bus by the way as it stops there

Olympic stadium tour. Home of Espanyol football club, although it's not all about football & also a stop on open top bus.

We have done it by both bus and train and train was easiest and quickest for us but that was about 4 yrs ago.

If I remember right I think it was also a few quid cheaper.

As previously said, train takes a good 1 - 1 half hrs.

karaokecolin;6763798

We have done it by both bus and train and train was easiest and quickest … We have done it by both bus and train and train was easiest and quickest for us but that was about 4 yrs ago.If I remember right I think it was also a few quid cheaper.As previously said, train takes a good 1 - 1 half hrs.

Benefit of the train is you arrive more central in Barcelona whereas the bus station is about a mile out of the centre. Downside of getting the train is you have to get the local bus into Girona first. For me i would take the bus into Barcelona then the metro from the bus station to Catalunya.

barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/…tml

Yes I have. I can't remember exactly but about 45 minutes I think! We had our own transfer so not sure how much it cost but there are numerous buses and taxis outside the airport!

I used to do it the other way round........from Barcelona to Girona when they didn't use to fly there out of season. N Always went by train and was no trouble at all...although we did have someone pick us up at the other end:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Thanks very much everyone! Repped accordingly. Just got to figure out how these Spanish timetables work now...

Oh, how far is the train station from the airport?

CReilly;6767097

Thanks very much everyone! Repped accordingly. Just got to figure out how … Thanks very much everyone! Repped accordingly. Just got to figure out how these Spanish timetables work now...Oh, how far is the train station from the airport?

Thr train station is in Girona City Centre so you will need the local bus into Girona which stops at the Train Station / Bus Station ( they are next to each other ) or of course a taxi but bus was only just over 1 euro earlier this year :thumbsup:

Taxis are pretty expensive over there, if i was you id pre book it online before you go so you know how much its gonna cost:thumbsup:

barca is a great place, its like manchester but with sun:)

darren9030;6768980

Thr train station is in Girona City Centre so you will need the local bus … Thr train station is in Girona City Centre so you will need the local bus into Girona which stops at the Train Station / Bus Station ( they are next to each other ) or of course a taxi but bus was only just over 1 euro earlier this year :thumbsup:

I didn't think tou could get a train from Gerona straight to Barcelona?? :? I could be wrong :oops:

hannah19790;6780768

I didn't think tou could get a train from Gerona straight to Barcelona?? … I didn't think tou could get a train from Gerona straight to Barcelona?? :? I could be wrong :oops:

Hi Hannah,

There are 2 or three trains per hour into Barcelona from Girona. Not sure if they stop at Catalunya or Sants but details for the o p can be found here :
renfe.es/hor…tml

Original Poster

darren9030;6786330

Hi Hannah,There are 2 or three trains per hour into Barcelona from … Hi Hannah,There are 2 or three trains per hour into Barcelona from Girona. Not sure if they stop at Catalunya or Sants but details for the o p can be found here :http://www.renfe.es/horarios/english/index.html

Hi Darren, thanks for all your help so far. Could you advise me on how difficult it will be to catch a bus/train to barcelona (hopefully to a metro-station so we can get the metro to our hotel!), considering that none of us speak Spanish?

We just want the easiest way without shelling out for a taxi really, but are a bit worried about catching the wrong bus/train etc, due to not speaking much Spanish!!

CReilly;6796215

Hi Darren, thanks for all your help so far. Could you advise me on how … Hi Darren, thanks for all your help so far. Could you advise me on how difficult it will be to catch a bus/train to barcelona (hopefully to a metro-station so we can get the metro to our hotel!), considering that none of us speak Spanish?We just want the easiest way without shelling out for a taxi really, but are a bit worried about catching the wrong bus/train etc, due to not speaking much Spanish!!

Hiya ,

As i said before the bus is the best option. You can purchase tickets at a small desk inside arrivals. Last time i did it was about April & it was approx 22 Euro's return for an adult. This drops you off at Barcelona Nord ( North ) Bus Station. From here the Arc De Triomf Metro Station is 2 or 3 mins walk ( yes it's a slightly smaller version of the one in Paris so camera's at the ready ) . Just put Barcelona Metro on google images so you can work out where you need to go for your hotel. As with London Metro Maps are freely available once inside most stations. The best place to get your bearings is Placa De Cataluntya as all the main streets including Las Ramblas & passeig De Gracia start & finish here + this is the best place to pick up the open top bus tour if you decide on it & of course go for a coffee ( or a meal ) at El Corte Ingles for the best free view of the city :-D

You have to see the fountains in Barcelona, I'm not too sure what you call them, but there's a fabulous night time display of them.

Google it, we just went for the day.

DragonChris;6803257

You have to see the fountains in Barcelona, I'm not too sure what you … You have to see the fountains in Barcelona, I'm not too sure what you call them, but there's a fabulous night time display of them.Google it, we just went for the day.

They are brilliant Chris - unfortuntely they do not operate in the winter though.

darren9030;6803429

They are brilliant Chris - unfortuntely they do not operate in the winter … They are brilliant Chris - unfortuntely they do not operate in the winter though.

Ah my bad sorry, we went in September. They are spectacular though (well I should say it, since it's one huge fountain in front of the palace or something?) Very impressive and very nice.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Want to sell on DLC ebay44
    2. heart rate monitor fitness watch58
    3. Switch from BT to BT same property different person625
    4. Kids cut and glue books34

See more discussions