Expired

Glasgow bus lane charge

Found 19th Apr 2014
Just been served with a fine for "Being in a Bus Lane" on West George Street. The parking spaces are on the other side of the bus lane and so it must be crossed to get to it. Googling it shows other people have been charged in the same way and the response seems to be that they should have pulled up to where the space is without crossing the bus lane and then performed a parallel park across the 2 lanes. Now I think I'm a pretty decent driver but I don't think doing a reverse parallel park across 2 lanes, one of which has fast moving buses and taxis, is feasible. I drove into the bus lane 10 metres before the space so that I could pull up alongside it and parallel park.

I always abide by the rules and regulations of the road and do everything I can to be safe and sensible. I see no other way I could have parked in these spaces so I'm just feeling a bit annoyed that I'm now being fined for my actions.

I was just wondering if anyone else had fallen foul of the Glasgow bus lane cameras (especially W George Street) and if you appealed, were you successful?

Here is the section in question: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.862462,-4.257617,3a,75y,123.66h,67.08t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sh2oJBH1lj9oj20Gx8sPsmg!2e0

1. Ask
  2. Glasgow
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Glasgow
20 Comments

I haven't had a bus lane ticket but I did get a parking ticket near Hampden where the ticket was issued 15 minutes before the restrictions actually kicked in. I appealed and it was rejected but I took it all the way to the final appeal with the independent person who looks at all the evidence and was successful, I'm not sure how it works with bus lane charges but I imagine it's a similar system so don't panic if you appeal and its rejected.

Original Poster

sparky111091

I haven't had a bus lane ticket but I did get a parking ticket near … I haven't had a bus lane ticket but I did get a parking ticket near Hampden where the ticket was issued 15 minutes before the restrictions actually kicked in. I appealed and it was rejected but I took it all the way to the final appeal with the independent person who looks at all the evidence and was successful, I'm not sure how it works with bus lane charges but I imagine it's a similar system so don't panic if you appeal and its rejected.

My only concern is that there are a few reports online of people that were parking in those spaces taking it all the way and losing despite being able to prove that they were parking. The reason given was that they drove several metres in the lane to pull up alongside the space. I did this too and whilst I don't believe there's any other safe way of doing it, I was in the bus lane for a brief distance (I'd estimate 10 metres).

The main issue I have is that the half price charge period is 14 days and 28 days before it's the full price plus 50%. I know it's part of their bullying tactics to force people into paying up quickly, but I can't find any information that states that if I appeal the 50% discount period is protected. I'm not going to take the risk of having to pay double if I fail my appeal but there is no information I can find about the half price period being protected if you appeal, and their e-mail address states that replies take 20 days.

If it is the same as the parking tickets if you appeal and fail you are still entitled to pay the first early payment charge rather than the higher charge. Google Edinburgh Glasgow road as people who live there were charged for entering into houses across bus lane.

rfc4spl1

My only concern is that there are a few reports online of people that … My only concern is that there are a few reports online of people that were parking in those spaces taking it all the way and losing despite being able to prove that they were parking. The reason given was that they drove several metres in the lane to pull up alongside the space. I did this too and whilst I don't believe there's any other safe way of doing it, I was in the bus lane for a brief distance (I'd estimate 10 metres).The main issue I have is that the half price charge period is 14 days and 28 days before it's the full price plus 50%. I know it's part of their bullying tactics to force people into paying up quickly, but I can't find any information that states that if I appeal the 50% discount period is protected. I'm not going to take the risk of having to pay double if I fail my appeal but there is no information I can find about the half price period being protected if you appeal, and their e-mail address states that replies take 20 days.

When I appealed the parking ticket and it was refused I was offered another chance to pay the reduced fee. It's ridiculous that the council seem to be unable to use common sense in these situations.

Original Poster

justanothercid

If it is the same as the parking tickets if you appeal and fail you are … If it is the same as the parking tickets if you appeal and fail you are still entitled to pay the first early payment charge rather than the higher charge. Google Edinburgh Glasgow road as people who live there were charged for entering into houses across bus lane.

Thanks for that. I live between the two cities so had to take a lot of care in Edinburgh when they were first brought in, especially the streets where you had to cross a lane to get into your street. Unfortunately there is no official information on whether the early payment charge is still payable after appeal and if they take 20 days to reply and say no then I've missed the boat anyway.

I guess I'm just in an extremely bad mood as I do everything I can to stick to the rules and feel like this is just unreasonable.

Original Poster

sparky111091

When I appealed the parking ticket and it was refused I was offered … When I appealed the parking ticket and it was refused I was offered another chance to pay the reduced fee. It's ridiculous that the council seem to be unable to use common sense in these situations.

That's councils for you. Ridiculous that you have such a short time frame, yet all their replies are supplied by post.

got done last year in exact same place i was parking there too,its a crazy setup a bus lane should not be in front of parking spaces i was told i should have drove up along side space then reversed in across 2 lanes, how is that possible when its nose to tail in the city centre?. Its the only a tiny bit of that street that does have a bus lane too. the council dont care,i wonder how much the idiot that planned that street are paid you cant even park on the other side of the road either.

Original Poster

jamstaruk1972

got done last year in exact same place i was parking there too,its a … got done last year in exact same place i was parking there too,its a crazy setup a bus lane should not be in front of parking spaces i was told i should have drove up along side space then reversed in across 2 lanes, how is that possible when its nose to tail in the city centre?. Its the only a tiny bit of that street that does have a bus lane too. the council dont care,i wonder how much the idiot that planned that street are paid you cant even park on the other side of the road either.

Ridiculous. When I parked it was very quiet which meant the taxis were flying up that lane at 30+mph. Just not possible

rfc4spl1

Ridiculous. When I parked it was very quiet which meant the taxis were … Ridiculous. When I parked it was very quiet which meant the taxis were flying up that lane at 30+mph. Just not possible

i know how angry you are feeling, it annoyed me for weeks, they could easily just let that camera roll and see if you parked or not and remember we paid to park in those bays too GRRR.

Original Poster

jamstaruk1972

i know how angry you are feeling, it annoyed me for weeks, they could … i know how angry you are feeling, it annoyed me for weeks, they could easily just let that camera roll and see if you parked or not and remember we paid to park in those bays too GRRR.

Sometimes it's nice to vent the rage

Bus and taxi lanes in general really frustrate me. I know people will just say I'm an angry, bitter driver but I don't see why we should have to sit in a ridiculous queue of traffic whilst half the usable area sits empty so that when a private company wants to come and use it they can. Sure, I understand that too many of us drive and that we should take more public transport but for many journeys I undertake, public transport just isn't an option.

Always appeal, the time before it doubles is suspended once the appeal goes in, and it doesn't cost you anything, even if you lose it is aggravation for the council, watch the BBC's program on parking shown on Thursday night, it's available on iPlayer

This is a long shot - but do you still have the ticket that you would have displayed ? I always keep mines for a time - just incase. You might have threw it in a wee hole - glovey- door. Some people use them to claim tax back or to give to employers.

Do appeal. If unsuccessful, you will be given the opportunity to pay the reduced fee again within 14 days. You have nothing to lose.

SLIM_JIM

This is a long shot - but do you still have the ticket that you would … This is a long shot - but do you still have the ticket that you would have displayed ? I always keep mines for a time - just incase. You might have threw it in a wee hole - glovey- door. Some people use them to claim tax back or to give to employers.

i still had my ticket didnt do any good.

only way you could win it is pay to gotto court but even then you wouldnt get your fees back just the fine

Get Donald Finlay QC to defend you - your a cert to get away with it. X)

Original Poster

SLIM_JIM

Get Donald Finlay QC to defend you - your a cert to get away with it. X)

Haha. He gave a talk at school once on challenging authority when pulled over. Unfortunately he didn't tell us what to do when machines are doing the catching. Maybe you just sing them a song from his repertoire?
SLIM_JIM

This is a long shot - but do you still have the ticket that you would … This is a long shot - but do you still have the ticket that you would have displayed ? I always keep mines for a time - just incase. You might have threw it in a wee hole - glovey- door. Some people use them to claim tax back or to give to employers.

The parking there is unrestricted after 6 so I didn't need a ticket. The bus lane unfortunately is 24 hours (i.e. it's a bus lane even when there are no bus services running along that street in the middle of the night).

Original Poster

I just typed out a long and wordy ranting update and managed to lose it before pressing 'Post Answer' so I'll just keep it brief.

An update for anyone that's interested (I'm sure that's nobody):

On the 17th April I e-mailed asking for a copy of the video evidence (shouldn't be a difficult request). My early payment period ended on the 5th May and unsurprisingly, the morning of the 6th May the video evidence arrived. Thankfully I remembered the incident well enough to know I was already appealing, but for some that could not recall the incident the video may be crucial in deciding whether to appeal or not. I find it despicable that they're quite clearly delaying this to force more people in to paying early and not appealing. The video was not even particularly helpful. It showed me pull up alongside the space and then put on my right indicator but stopped before I went into reverse and reversed into the space.

Very infuriated at what is quite clearly a money making sting as opposed to an actual means to enforce any sensible regulations or make roads safer. If anything, that bus lane makes that street more dangerous. Pedestrians like to cross at all points on that street. Queued left lane and empty bus lane on right equals danger as the buses and taxis always fly past at 30mph and pedestrians are often stepping out between the cars. Don't get me wrong, as much as I detest the idea of bus lanes, I know I can't drive in them and wherever possible stick to the rules and avoid them and there are a minority of people that use them to gain an advantage.

It would be nice to see the people that implement and run these schemes brought to task as they are quite clearly designed to be completely obfuscatory and obstructive to the driver appealing, but that would never happen. Oh well.

Original Poster

Appeal successful, thanks for the advice everyone.

rfc4spl1

Appeal successful, thanks for the advice everyone.

Excellent news!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants