Groups

Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Planning a weekend trip to either one of these places soon, have never been there, wondering which would be a better choice overall. In terms of history, ambiance, activities, and shopping, that is.

Thanks in advance!

52 Comments

Edinburgh: I have been there many times.

Brill high street, go see the castle lovely.

shopping: Glasgow
    everything else: Edinburgh

mod

Edinburgh for me

Beautiful city

Never been to Glasgow so can't really comment, but Edinburgh is a great place

bazzaric;5540525

shopping: Glasgoweverything else: Edinburgh

Glasgow city heliport :O ?!?!?! :-D

emasu;5540535

Glasgow city heliport :O ?!?!?! :-D

My new office faces our Hospital Helipad...was thinking of you as I moved in today! :-D

Edinburgh

I would seriously suggest you avoid both. Glasgow because it is dirty, miserable and, late at night, downright scary; and Edinburgh because the local council have destroyed the city centre by ripping up all the roads too build a tram-line - it looks like the aftermath of a nuclear attack. you'd be better to wait a couple of years then visit Edinburgh when they're finished.

Jeezeypeeps;5540575

I would seriously suggest you avoid both. Glasgow because it is dirty, … I would seriously suggest you avoid both. Glasgow because it is dirty, miserable and, late at night, downright scary; and Edinburgh because the local council have destroyed the city centre by ripping up all the roads too build a tram-line - it looks like the aftermath of a nuclear attack. you'd be better to wait a couple of years then visit Edinburgh when they're finished.

+1

London it is then . . .

EDINBURGH all the way, much less ned's (chav's)

Edinburgh, ditto comments above re bomb going off - pavements not very safe when I was there a few months agon.

Original Poster

Lol thanks for all the input guys. Edinburgh it is

OK I'm a bit late.
    I've only been to Edinburgh and it was brilliant. It seems to cater for almost all requirements within a compact city centre. Good air and public transport links and great Botanical Garden.:-D

I'd save my money and stay at home.... :whistling:

If you are going to Edinburgh, remember to end every sentence with "like" or "eh",,,,,and throw the word "dinnae" in every now and again....

If you are going to Glasgow....remember to take some anti-ned spray with you....CS Gas should be fine as that stuns them for several minutes....when you start straying past all the nice clean shops then you are in a world of pain...keep your hand on your wallet or purse at all times.

Other than that enjoy yourself, I'm sure you will have a memorable experience...:-D

Banned

StevenA2000_uk;5541467

I'd save my money and stay at home.... :whistling:If you are going to … I'd save my money and stay at home.... :whistling:If you are going to Edinburgh, remember to end every sentence with "like" or "eh",,,,,and throw the word "dinnae" in every now and again....If you are going to Glasgow....remember to take some anti-ned spray with you....CS Gas should be fine as that stuns them for several minutes....when you start straying past all the nice clean shops then you are in a world of pain...keep your hand on your wallet or purse at all times.Other than that enjoy yourself, I'm sure you will have a memorable experience...:-D

Oi you!!! We dont all speak like that...eh

[QUOTE=Jeezeypeeps;5540575]I would seriously suggest you avoid both. Glasgow because it is dirty, miserable and, late at night, downright scary;

you know that you dont have to be so insulting to the people that live in glasgow. not everywhere in glasgow is as you have described and i am sure that you have certain areas in your city that sound like this. unless you see it through rose glasses which i am assuming that you do.

We used to go to Edinburgh when I was a kid...

The castle there is lovely, I remember the cannons being fired clear as day. I remember the buildings and architecture of the streets and the cold and lots of hot food! Have always loved that accent too.

Never been to Scotland.......how bad is that? :oops:

louise.123;5541492

you know that you dont have to be so insulting to the people that live in … you know that you dont have to be so insulting to the people that live in glasgow. not everywhere in glasgow is as you have described and i am sure that you have certain areas in your city that sound like this. unless you see it through rose glasses which i am assuming that you do.

Glasgow is a nice city, good shopping and plenty to see, if you go there looking for trouble you will find it, if you don't you'll be O.K.

bitseylango;5541536

Never been to Scotland.......how bad is that? :oops:

ooohh you must go at some point hon.. architecture is much different up north to how it is down south.

ClarityofMind;5541540

ooohh you must go at some point hon.. architecture is much different up … ooohh you must go at some point hon.. architecture is much different up north to how it is down south.

Keep saying we will go, TBH there are an awful lot of places in Britain we have never been, being in the Midlands probably makes it easier to travel to areas than most.......but for hoildays we always go to the States now.
    My sister went to Inverness last month and the photos were stunning.

We love The States too obviously but we try and have a few long weekends the odd week away around the British Isles as there's so much for the kids to see and to understand where they are from, the relationships between the different counties, countries and areas.

StevenA2000_uk;5541467

If you are going to Glasgow....remember to take some anti-ned spray with … If you are going to Glasgow....remember to take some anti-ned spray with you....CS Gas should be fine as that stuns them for several minutes

Lol I'm gonna be really pedantic here. CS Spray is not a gas! :oops:

Bora Horza;5541585

Lol I'm gonna be really pedantic here. CS Spray is not a gas! :oops:

No but one of his bottom gases will have the same effect :-D

student_mummy;5541482

Oi you!!! We dont all speak like that...eh

lol YES YOU DO! I work there!!! I have to put up with it all the time!

Bora Horza;5541585

Lol I'm gonna be really pedantic here. CS Spray is not a gas!

No probs dude, misc is all about being pedantic. It was my ignorance, was in too much of a hurry. :-D

ClarityofMind;5541590

No but one of his bottom gases will have the same effect :-D

Oi you! I told you not to tell people what I did to you under the covers :w00t:

StevenA2000_uk;5541613

Oi you! I told you not to tell people what I did to you under the covers … Oi you! I told you not to tell people what I did to you under the covers :w00t:

but it was so exciting i wanna share the details :-D

Banned

Scotland is beautiful
    We stay in a villiage though where life is a bit different than the city.
    We visit Edinburgh from time to time but I couldnt live there...

one of our local beaches -
    http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww12/student_mummy/SDC11160.jpg[/IMG]

was that late in the day? Their shadows are so long!!

Banned

[QUOTE=StevenA2000_uk;5541613]lol YES YOU DO! I work there!!! I have to put up with it all the time!

I dont lol, if i spoke like that round my mum she would batter me!! Its all 'proper English' in her house!! :?
    Where do you work?

Banned

ClarityofMind;5541640

was that late in the day? Their shadows are so long!!

Wow!! lol yeh it was, just before bedtime! We went spur of the moment 2 weekends ago x

I'm from Dundee but have lived in Glasgow for 5 years.

I hate Edinburgh, the shopping sucks, everything about it sucks, fair enough they have a Castle but big wow.

Glasgow on the other hand is excellent, you have Sauchiehall Street, Buchanan Street, Argyle Street, not to mention the Galleries, St Enoch Centre(currently being renovated but still open), Braehead, Silverburn, etc etc.

We have the Transport Museum, Kelvingrove Galleries(both opposite each other), we have the GOMA, we have football stadiums that you can visit, I'd recommend Ibrox as its beautiful and the tour is something else, we have the Clockwork Orange that you can use to get about but everything is easily accessible by bus and at a very reasonably price for an all day ticket that will take you absolutely everywhere.

There are other places but its first thing in the morning and I've not quite woken up yet.

But just to say not everywhere in Glasgow is bad and I find it quite offensive when everyone here is tarred with the "Ned" brush.

student_mummy;5541656

Wow!! lol yeh it was, just before bedtime! We went spur of the moment 2 … Wow!! lol yeh it was, just before bedtime! We went spur of the moment 2 weekends ago x

it looks beautiful hon, your lil girl is mega cute

mmmm I jus wanna do it again with you CoM :whistling:

ClarityofMind;5541620

but it was so exciting i wanna share the details :-D

StevenA2000_uk;5541613

lol YES YOU DO! I work there!!! I have to put up with it all the time!

I work slap bang in the city centre.....:p

StevenA2000_uk;5541680

mmmm I jus wanna do it again with you CoM :whistling:

Thank God my husband's at work alllllllll weekend ;-)

...cos if he sees this we'll both be in twouble lol

bazzaric;5540525

shopping: Glasgoweverything else: Edinburgh

I agree, Edinburgh is fairly poor for shopping, and is very touristy. Glasgow is a bit more cosmopolitan, and surprisingly nice!
    I'd do both, they're only 50 minutes apart on the train.

ClarityofMind;5541688

Thank God my husband's at work alllllllll weekend ;-)...cos if he sees … Thank God my husband's at work alllllllll weekend ;-)...cos if he sees this we'll both be in twouble lol

Dont worry CoM, its one of those rare instances where you can get into trouble....but still gooooooooooooooooooooooooood :whistling:

Banned

[QUOTEI work slap bang in the city centre.....:p[/QUOTE]

Lucky, lucky you!! I dont go through much as the traffic does my head in and the buses are out to kill me :x
    Plus it is really touristy..... I was out for my 21st a few weeks ago and we were probably the only Scottish people in the club :-D lol

Banned

ClarityofMind;5541677

it looks beautiful hon, your lil girl is mega cute

thanks hun xx

student_mummy;5541809

Lucky, lucky you!! I dont go through much as the traffic does my head in … Lucky, lucky you!! I dont go through much as the traffic does my head in and the buses are out to kill me :xPlus it is really touristy..... I was out for my 21st a few weeks ago and we were probably the only Scottish people in the club :-D lol

I dont get a chance to go out there and mingle....besides they speak a whole new lingo..

I'm supposed to be going to a company night out next week, that should be an experience....will have to put Trainspotting on my phone and play parts of that whenever someone speaks to me...

"oh dinnae ..eh"....:p

Edit : " a ken!".....
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4671414
      2. One for the mathmeticians33
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424614496
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7261375

See more discussions