Gluten free - do you feel "guilty" eating it whilst out

Posted 23rd Feb
My missus is gluten free (not by choice) , I'm not... However I've noticed a bit of a phenomenon I think..

Example, we generally eat out most weekends at cafes whilst on walks...

So we find a decent gluten free cafe... Order our food normally a sandwich or soup with gluten free bread, then it's usually a slice of cake each, now these normally have a gf logo on them... I think most people avoid the gf ones because they don't want to deprive the gf person of it.

I must admit I tend to do the same even though they taste the same but feel a tinge of guilt..

Just wondering if others do the same
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
If it helps I am a meat eater, but I don't feel guilty eating fruit and vegetables.
My uncle is coeliac and we try gluten free just out of curiosity but 99% of the stuff tastes horrible so we don't have it a 2nd time.
18 Comments
What? No.
I’m coeliac and haven’t noticed this at all, but I don’t make a habit of eating out any more as I have little trust in restaurants etc to do the right thing - there have been occasions where I’ve ordered what were marked as gluten free meals only to become very unwell not long after eating.

Where I do eat out, my work colleagues are very accommodating and they will only go to places I’m comfortable with - they largely don’t eat anything gluten free (with the exception of the gf cakes my other half makes for me to take into work) but they are interested in how different things look and tase etc. I don’t think it’s about guilt.

My other half is not coeliac but does eat the odd thing I buy, in fact she prefers gf cookies to the ‘normal’ ones.
joeydeacon23/02/2020 08:15

I’m coeliac and haven’t noticed this at all, but I don’t make a habit of ea …I’m coeliac and haven’t noticed this at all, but I don’t make a habit of eating out any more as I have little trust in restaurants etc to do the right thing - there have been occasions where I’ve ordered what were marked as gluten free meals only to become very unwell not long after eating.Where I do eat out, my work colleagues are very accommodating and they will only go to places I’m comfortable with - they largely don’t eat anything gluten free (with the exception of the gf cakes my other half makes for me to take into work) but they are interested in how different things look and tase etc. I don’t think it’s about guilt.My other half is not coeliac but does eat the odd thing I buy, in fact she prefers gf cookies to the ‘normal’ ones.

But would they order a gluten free meal if it was what they wanted to eat, it seems like their is an invisible barrier there!.?
My uncle is coeliac and we try gluten free just out of curiosity but 99% of the stuff tastes horrible so we don't have it a 2nd time.
Douglas_Birks23/02/2020 08:25

But would they order a gluten free meal if it was what they wanted to eat, …But would they order a gluten free meal if it was what they wanted to eat, it seems like their is an invisible barrier there!.?

They only have to look at bread and pizza literally falling apart in my hands, to most it just doesn’t look appetising.

It’s taken a lot of trial and error over a long period to establish which foods are the most palatable - Morrison’s own gf pizzas are a cut above anything else, Sainsburys gf blueberry muffins don’t taste any different to non-gf muffins and Schar produce pretty much the best gf biscuits out there
I prefer the non gluten free stuff personally, just a different type of guilt !
joeydeacon23/02/2020 09:17

They only have to look at bread and pizza literally falling apart in my …They only have to look at bread and pizza literally falling apart in my hands, to most it just doesn’t look appetising.It’s taken a lot of trial and error over a long period to establish which foods are the most palatable - Morrison’s own gf pizzas are a cut above anything else, Sainsburys gf blueberry muffins don’t taste any different to non-gf muffins and Schar produce pretty much the best gf biscuits out there

Schar biscuits are like eating sand.
What is it you look out for in ingredients to check whether or not it contains gluten is it mostly wheat and flour, I’ve given up bread and pasta to gf ones but I’m considering going totally gf so need to start looking at things which aren’t marketed as gf but indeed don’t contain gluten. Thanks
i avoid any food that has the word "free" or "light" in it as i feel like i am being short changed

our friend has an intolerance to gluten and when we go out to dinner he has to order gluten free food but he doesn't like the food at all and much prefer the normal menu.
If it helps I am a meat eater, but I don't feel guilty eating fruit and vegetables.
I don’t think people avoid the GF because of guilt, just that they assume it will be worse, it’s often the more expensive option too. Gluten primarily gives you the chewy texture in foods so bread without it tends to crumble, pizza bases crunchy / brittle. For things like cakes and brownies you don’t want chewy, so a gluten free brownie is often on par with a ’normal’ one and in standard baking with wheat flours you’d ideally be baking cakes with a lower gluten flour and not use bread flour (high gluten flour).
When out and about, I don’t avoid the gluten free stuff as it may deprive someone else, in the same vain that I don’t avoid vegan / vegetarian / low fat stuff (I eat anything). However at home, I won’t eat all of her gluten free stuff as then she wouldn’t be left with anything! *Thats not due to guilt - just decency.
Edited by: "ktm666" 23rd Feb
Made me lol, I avoid it because gf food taste crap, not all and it has come a hell of a long way in the last 20 years, the bread wouldn’t go brown when toasting it years ago and the pasta was rank, before the additives you put with the flour to bake it was a right pain even making a gf cake..
Go ahead and eat gf. The more people that eat gf foods, the greater the demand, the more incentive for the suppliers to improve their products to grab a bigger slice of the market.
Tw2k23/02/2020 11:07

I don’t think people avoid the GF because of guilt, just that they assume i …I don’t think people avoid the GF because of guilt, just that they assume it will be worse, it’s often the more expensive option too. Gluten primarily gives you the chewy texture in foods so bread without it tends to crumble, pizza bases crunchy / brittle. For things like cakes and brownies you don’t want chewy, so a gluten free brownie is often on par with a ’normal’ one and in standard baking with wheat flours you’d ideally be baking cakes with a lower gluten flour and not use bread flour (high gluten flour).

My other half agrees with you re: gluten free brownies
Most people avoid gf as it generally isn’t as good as it’s glutinous counterpart.

Were I not coeliac I’d not choose inferior food which I find gf generally is.

GF is also generally more expensive and portions smaller in addition to this.
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 23rd Feb
I must admit I tend to do the same even though they taste the same but feel a tinge of guilt..

No they don't taste the same imo
Eat out gf. What’s not to
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants