Gmail hack - avoid pesky spam when signing up to freebies

Found 9th Aug
Below im going to explain how with a simple trick any Gmail account can be auto set to delete spam mail received by signing up for freebies / deals etc:

• Go to your Gmail inbox
  • Look at the search box at the top of the page
  • Click on the arrow to the right of the search box (next to the magnifying glass)
  • On the drop down box, click on To:
  • Type in your email address but put +spam before the @ sign
    (eg. joebloggs+spam@gmail.com)

• Click on create filter at the bottom (or it may say create filter with this search).
  • You then have a choice of checking the box saying either skip the inbox (archive it) or delete it, depending on your preference.
  • Click on create filter at the bottom of the form.
Now whenever you sign up for freebies etc you can use this email address (joebloggs+spam@gmail.com) and it will auto delete/archive anything sent to that version of your email address.
Community Updates
Misc
9 Comments
Moved to misc as info/heads up. Thanks
Just use a disposable email for freebies. It saves all the effort of creating filters in gmail
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 9th Aug
I don't understand why so many people choose to go with Gmail

Gmail messages 'read by human third parties'bbc.co.uk/new…263
Google has confirmed that private emails sent and received by Gmail users can sometimes be read by third-party app developers, not just machines.
.Yoshi.9th Aug

I don't understand why so many people choose to go with Gmail Gmail …I don't understand why so many people choose to go with Gmail Gmail messages 'read by human third parties' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44699263Google has confirmed that private emails sent and received by Gmail users can sometimes be read by third-party app developers, not just machines.

Thats why you really should read the permissions for each app you install. I have no apps with permissions like this and have a tonne of apps across several devices. Privacy starts at home.
.Yoshi.9th Aug

I don't understand why so many people choose to go with Gmail Gmail …I don't understand why so many people choose to go with Gmail Gmail messages 'read by human third parties' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44699263Google has confirmed that private emails sent and received by Gmail users can sometimes be read by third-party app developers, not just machines.

Just go to Gmail security. Google it and look through who has access. You have to give the permission and Its useful sometimes. I gave permission to access my calender during the world cup so the matches showed. I give permission for travel apps to access my email ect. I then remove permission when finished. I listened to a security podcast about this and one developer gave their access to students while training them which was stupid. Unless you encrypted your email it's never 100% secure and I can't be bothered to start messing with email keys.
Edited by: "wayners" 9th Aug
Predikuesi5 h, 33 m ago

Just use a disposable email for freebies. It saves all the effort of …Just use a disposable email for freebies. It saves all the effort of creating filters in gmail

Only set it up once
Creatishh9th Aug

Only set it up once

Yes of course, but there's a problem with the OP's setup. Often you are asked to verify an email address, but if it is immediately deleted by Gmail, you can't verify it unless you open the trash. I think it's better to have an online email account for companies you don't want to be bothered with.
Or just setup another email for exactly this purpose? Why would you use your primary email for all those junk anyways, if they get hacked or whatever it compromises your main email address.

spamemail+sitename@gmail.com etc
Edited by: "Myriad" 9th Aug
Not all sites recognise a + sign as valid in an email address unfortunately
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants