Go Pro advice (and Motorbike helmet mounting)

Expert (Beta) 15
Posted 7th Feb
evening all😁 just wondering if anyone can give any recommendations on a go pro? I'm after one for my motorbike/helmet but haven't got a clue when it comes to these do they come with helmet mounts? Or is this a separate purchase? Thanks for any replies
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Good Evening, Just here to say hello and has no clue what you have asked (embarrassed)... Hope all is going well
apur3207/02/2020 18:21

Good Evening, Just here to say hello and has no clue what you have asked …Good Evening, Just here to say hello and has no clue what you have asked (embarrassed)... Hope all is going well

Good evening to you, all good thanks And you? that's no problem if you don't know - it's good to talk
Edited by: "thewrecker7477" 7th Feb
When buying a GoPro it usually doesn’t come with any accessories unless you buy as a bundle. There should be a curved adhesive mount in the box which I found a great fit for my helmet. Depending on your type of helmet, this may or may not work for you. You get a helmet vent strap like this or you also get one like this which sticks to the helmet. Other options to consider would be a chest mount for a fixed, through the arms shot or a handlebar/seat post mount which will go directly on the bike. You get cheap bundles on the likes of amazon which usually contain the helmet strap, adhesive mounts, chest strap and bar mount so probably your best option allowing you to try what’s best for you and for the shot you want. The GoPro hero 7 or 8 has the built in stabilisation (I believe this has been improved for the which will be vital especially if you’re connecting it directly to the bike. If it’s on your head or chest, your body helps absorb some of the shaking. Hope this helps. Keep in mind there are other brands available like the dji osmo and budget/cheaper brands too. I’ve never used any of these so can’t comment on their performance.
Motorbike or bicycle? The helmet styles are rather different.
I've used generic mounts in sets bought cheaply from china, they have 99% worked fine.

Allow for warming the shell of the helmet before adhering the 3M sticky mount, give it 48 hours at living room temp to bond securely before use, have a spare sticky set with you just in case.

I've used mounts in the mountain winters where it has been minus 25 or more fine.
Helmet mounting
EndlessWaves07/02/2020 19:40

Motorbike or bicycle? The helmet styles are rather different.

Motorbike 🏍 sorry, should have stated in the title - now edited
Edited by: "thewrecker7477" 7th Feb
Hastie8607/02/2020 19:17

When buying a GoPro it usually doesn’t come with any accessories unless y …When buying a GoPro it usually doesn’t come with any accessories unless you buy as a bundle. There should be a curved adhesive mount in the box which I found a great fit for my helmet. Depending on your type of helmet, this may or may not work for you. You get a helmet vent strap like this or you also get one like this which sticks to the helmet. Other options to consider would be a chest mount for a fixed, through the arms shot or a handlebar/seat post mount which will go directly on the bike. You get cheap bundles on the likes of amazon which usually contain the helmet strap, adhesive mounts, chest strap and bar mount so probably your best option allowing you to try what’s best for you and for the shot you want. The GoPro hero 7 or 8 has the built in stabilisation (I believe this has been improved for the which will be vital especially if you’re connecting it directly to the bike. If it’s on your head or chest, your body helps absorb some of the shaking. Hope this helps. Keep in mind there are other brands available like the dji osmo and budget/cheaper brands too. I’ve never used any of these so can’t comment on their performance.

Thanks for the (very detailed) reply but it's for a motorbike helmet (so sorry, should have stated in the title )
thewrecker747707/02/2020 19:50

Thanks for the (very detailed) reply but it's for a motorbike helmet …Thanks for the (very detailed) reply but it's for a motorbike helmet (so sorry, should have stated in the title )

Yeah so the adhesive mount will hold on a motorbike one no problem, or the 2nd link I sent is a mount specific for that style of helmet.
Hastie8607/02/2020 20:14

Yeah so the adhesive mount will hold on a motorbike one no problem, or the …Yeah so the adhesive mount will hold on a motorbike one no problem, or the 2nd link I sent is a mount specific for that style of helmet.

Is the adhesive one strong enough? Will it withstand cough, 70mph cough cough
For my mount I used a piece of cord with one end fastened around the case bracket and a loop that the helmet strap slid through as a back up, glad I did as on an (extremely) hot day it came unstuck whilst riding.
thewrecker747707/02/2020 20:16

Is the adhesive one strong enough? Will it withstand cough, 70mph cough …Is the adhesive one strong enough? Will it withstand cough, 70mph cough cough

They’re designed to fail at 71mph Just make sure you give the surface a really good clean beforehand and it should be fine. A safety loop is a good idea as harlzter suggested as a back up. You should still be able to wear it on your chest if you’re concerned with the helmet mount but you’ll only record straight ahead whereas on the helmet you get the footage of wherever you look.
thewrecker747707/02/2020 20:16

Is the adhesive one strong enough? Will it withstand cough, 70mph cough …Is the adhesive one strong enough? Will it withstand cough, 70mph cough cough

As long as it’s stuck on correctly, it will be fine. Just clean the surface first then make sure you use the correct adhesive mount - flat or slightly curved.
Think about where you place it as once stuck, it will stay there. I may have placed one on the front top of my helmet once which then stopped the visor from opening........!
Look at what you’re trying to achieve - having one on your helmet is all good and well, but it will be jerky and move every time your head does. Also consider your riding position - if you’re on a sports bike, your body and head position will be different to if you’re on a chopper.
The best mounting position I found was via the suction cup mount on the fuel tank. It gives very smooth footage and shows the lean angles.
Chest mounts are good but when you lean over, you just see the fuel tank.
Be mindful of any position you place it in if it shows the speedometer and remember if you have an accident, the camera and it’s footage can be recovered by the police and looked at, which could either help or screw you....!
For a helmet I would just get a GoPro session. Should get a cheap refurb these days:

Pros:

Smallest GoPro
Being smallest it weighs next to nothing and mounts unnoticeable on a helmet.

Cons:

No screen if you wanted to use it like a regular camera
Battery life is abysmal however if your journey is less than 2 hours then you should have just enough. I charge mine up at work.
Claims to do up to 1080p but I'm not sure, looks 720p.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants