Groups

God theres some idiot drivers about...

Well, just thought id share my moan cos i need some sympathy

On my drive home tonight, was right in the middle of town, which theres 2 lanes to go up the same hill, and 2 sets of lights, a crossing and to top it off a speed camera....

At the first set of traffic lights (the speed camera is literally maybe 2 metres away) they were on green for me to go, some idiot man decided to cross even thought they were on green, at 6pm (still busy) so i saw it in plently of time, and slowed down and he got accross with me being nowhere near him. Bear in mind, i wont be speeding or running red lights due to the speed camera....

Now, im in the right hand lane, when i got to the next set of lights - which are about 200/300 yards from the speed camera. The van in the left hand land pulled up to me, going over the line for the lights so i looked across, to see him shaking his head at me and pointing back to the last set of lights. He turned away, so, me being me, and also anyone would do the same, i beeped and flagged him as i KNEW id done nothing wrong, and i was miles (ok not literally but quite a distance) from the idiot crossing man.

Bit of a mistake obviously. On the hill i overtook him (still 30mph and i never speed) he followed me for the next 3 odd miles to my estate, i knew he was following me due to me going funny ways and even going back on myself.
    I decided as i knew hed carry on following me, to go down the bypass to lose him, which i eventually did, but man, that was Sh*t scary.

And i didnt have a clue what to do not being allowed to use a mobile while driving.
    I decided if i didnt lose him by the time i did the rougly 6 miles on the bypass that id have to go to the police station with him in tow, which was back near the speed camera.
    But fortunatly i managed to loose him on the bypass.

Sometimes i hate being young and female, theres no way hed have done it to a male.

125 Comments

At the first set of traffic lights (the speed camera is literally maybe 2 … At the first set of traffic lights (the speed camera is literally maybe 2 metres away) they were on green for me to go, some idiot man decided to cross even thought they were on green, at 6pm (still busy) so i saw it in plently of time, and slowed down and he got accross with me being nowhere near him. Bear in mind, i wont be speeding or running red lights due to the speed camera....

To be fair pedestrians do have right of way on all roads except motorways, and it can be fairly annoying to wait forever in the cold getting wet when people are going past in lovely warm cars.

Blokes can intimidating to other blokes too, but that does sound kinda scary! Glad your all right!

Banned

[quote=Joshanna]Well, just thought id share my moan cos i need some sympathy

On my drive home tonight, was right in the middle of town, which theres 2 lanes to go up the same hill, and 2 sets of lights, a crossing and to top it off a speed camera....

At the first set of traffic lights (the speed camera is literally maybe 2 metres away) they were on green for me to go, some idiot man decided to cross even thought they were on green, at 6pm (still busy) so i saw it in plently of time, and slowed down and he got accross with me being nowhere near him. Bear in mind, i wont be speeding or running red lights due to the speed camera....

Now, im in the right hand lane, when i got to the next set of lights - which are about 200/300 yards from the speed camera. The van in the left hand land pulled up to me, going over the line for the lights so i looked across, to see him shaking his head at me and pointing back to the last set of lights. He turned away, so, me being me, and also anyone would do the same, i beeped and flagged him as i KNEW id done nothing wrong, and i was miles (ok not literally but quite a distance) from the idiot crossing man.

Bit of a mistake obviously. On the hill i overtook him (still 30mph and i never speed) he followed me for the next 3 odd miles to my estate, i knew he was following me due to me going funny ways and even going back on myself.
    I decided as i knew hed carry on following me, to go down the bypass to lose him, which i eventually did, but man, that was Sh*t scary.

And i didnt have a clue what to do not being allowed to use a mobile while driving.
    I decided if i didnt lose him by the time i did the rougly 6 miles on the bypass that id have to go to the police station with him in tow, which was back near the speed camera.
    But fortunatly i managed to loose him on the bypass.

nothing surprises me nowadays plus you would be surprised that men on men road rage does happen. Best thing to do is try to remain calm and at worst get to your local police station, also I know they look stupid but blue tooth head sets are always worth investing for when your in your car and your a lone female, plus if it happens again you can ring the old bill without fear of the 3 points and 60 quid trap

Was it this troublesome pair?
    http://www.gosh.org/events/driving_challenge/images/2004/mutley-lrg.jpg

Joshanna

Sometimes i hate being young and female

I don't mind :w00t:

So thats where i lost you lol

glad your okay.

i hate been a young female driver aswell, the amount i get cut up, or male drivers driving up my a$%. when they do that i just slow down even more. i have never been followed yet but if i did i would drive to my oh house. and you can use your phone if you have to.

male drivers :x leave us alone you bullies.

Original Poster

esims84

i hate been a young female driver aswell, the amount i get cut up, or … i hate been a young female driver aswell, the amount i get cut up, or male drivers driving up my a$%. when they do that i just slow down even more. i have never been followed yet but if i did i would drive to my oh house. and you can use your phone if you have to.male drivers :x leave us alone you bullies.

LOL same here, i love doing the slowing down thing, but i know my limits, you can tell how someone behave.
    Its not idiot male drivers so much, its the ones which dont like being overtook or behind a female driver - they are actually the worst most dangerous on the road.

I didnt want to drive to anyones house i knew, i was just going to go to the cop shop in the end.

Theres nowt worse than someone right behind you while your driving :x :x

I wouldnt mind if id done something to this bloke, but, the fact i didnt do ANYTHING to him, i didnt even cut him up on the hill as he was miles behind, probably trying to get my number plate for some reason

Looks like where probably the same age judging by your name, as i was born in 84...

Yep i was born in feb 84.

seancampbell

To be fair pedestrians do have right of way on all roads except … To be fair pedestrians do have right of way on all roads except motorways, and it can be fairly annoying to wait forever in the cold getting wet when people are going past in lovely warm cars.Blokes can intimidating to other blokes too, but that does sound kinda scary! Glad your all right!

What messed up version of the highway code have you been reading while drunk?

"Pedestrians have the right-of-way at all "zebra crossings", crosswalks designated by wide white lines painted on the road and flashing yellow lights, known as beleisha beacons. They also have right of way when they have started to cross a junction and you wish to turn left or right into the road they are crossing. Obviously at pedestrian crossings controlled by lights and other areas clearly marked."

Apart from that they are pretty much fair game and DO NOT HAVE ANY RIGHT OF WAY. Should you (and I do not recommed this) manage to hit and hurt one that walks out in front of your car and you are driving within the speed limit and they are not on any designated pedestrian crossing then you are clearly not at fault THEY ARE.

In some countries pedestrians that walk out in front of cars or just walk out on the road are prosecuted for jaywalking. Something that has been muted for us in the UK.

As far as making gestures to other drivers is concerned, my advice is not to unless you are prepared to deal with the consequences. I can't condone the idiot that followed you but had you ignored him it would not have happened. Maybe this episode has highlighted the need to ignore idiots in cars/vans. You wouldn't walk around a pub giving the finger to strangers so why do something similar in a car.

Very scary being followed like that!!

As for idiot drivers,the roads are full of them,and also full of drivers who make the odd mistake as well......it happens,I know i ain't perfect!

I think if someone was following me,I would pull over and if the other driver did the same(confirming to me that they were indeed following me)....I would be straight on the phone to the police reporting the incident,let them see you doing it as well(obviously stay locked in the car with engine running etc)

It is difficult to think clearly in these situations though,main thing is you are ok:)

Banned

[quote=Joshanna]LOL same here, i love doing the slowing down thing, but i know my limits, you can tell how someone behave.
    Its not idiot male drivers so much, its the ones which dont like being overtook or behind a female driver - they are actually the worst most dangerous on the road.

I think you may find that there are a large amount of drivers on the road who`s driving skill are very poor and its not gender specific like some may think on here.. and I think from experience I have a good idea of what I am talking about, some of the other genders are just as bad, so glass house and stones springs to mind

esims84

i hate been a young female driver aswell, the amount i get cut up, or … i hate been a young female driver aswell, the amount i get cut up, or male drivers driving up my a$%. when they do that i just slow down even more. i have never been followed yet but if i did i would drive to my oh house. and you can use your phone if you have to.

Because it is just about men v women isn't it? Have you read the highway code? Let me tell you the part about allowing cars that want to overtake to pass you.

Some people really annoy me, if some idiot is right behind me then I pull over and let the person pass. No matter what speed then want to go at. Slowing down to stop them passing is not only dangerous but invites abuse and angers other drivers. You are not the police and you are not there to control the other idiots.

Here's what the highway code says. I'd advise you to get a copy.
    144: Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

I don't want to get into the whole men v women drivers debate because I don't believe there is much of a difference, there are some awful women and some awful men out there. The dangersous ones for me are the ones that are not aware that they are doing anything dangerous.

I'm an ex cop and police trained to drive. I hate driving these days purely because of the whole ego or men v women **** I find on the road every day.

MBeeching

Was it this troublesome pair?

ROFL! x:-D

Joshanna

Sometimes i hate being young and female,

So you'd rather be old and a man ;-)

Bit late, but welcome back Joshanna.;-)

Original Poster

fox2020

So you'd rather be old and a man ;-)Bit late, but welcome back … So you'd rather be old and a man ;-)Bit late, but welcome back Joshanna.;-)

LOL! i never wanna get old, and no, i guess im happy being female, so, infact, im happy being me!

dog_cop

.....plus if it happens again you can ring the old bill without fear of … .....plus if it happens again you can ring the old bill without fear of the 3 points and 60 quid trap

I think this got lost in all the little rants - [SIZE=4]STUFF[/SIZE][SIZE=2] the law, we all know the Law is an a$$, if you feel endangered/threatened or otherwise caught in a position that you need IMMEDIATE HELP, (regardless of sex) DIAL 999 on your mobile, deal with the judge later. Give as much info as you can before any confrontation takes place, locking the door is fine and will stop most people getting into you but they can smash the window which is scary, they could be carrying a knife or a gun which could be lethal. If you can leave your phone connected to the emergency services, as your conversation is recorded it also allows them to access the present situation, try and tell them where you are, what sort of car you are driving the rest they can sort out themselves. Try not to tip off the offender that you are still connected to the services, if the services feel or hear things are getting out of hand they will divert any available units to you. Try and refrain from saying 'what are you going to do with that knife?' :giggle: :giggle: [/SIZE]

Joshanna

so i looked across, to see him shaking his head at me and pointing back … so i looked across, to see him shaking his head at me and pointing back to the last set of lights. He turned away, so, me being me, and also anyone would do the same, i beeped and flagged him as i KNEW id done nothing wrong, and i was miles (ok not literally but quite a distance) from the idiot crossing man. .

You were there so I'm guessing you know what you saw and the look on his face, although at 30mph looking across at someone things can be unclear.

But do you think he was just trying to motion that the crossing bloke was an idiot, I'm guessing that he too would have seen him and had to slow down a little. Sort of, 'wasn't he an idiot back there?

The result was you beeping him and 'flagging' him, (is that a posh word for giving him the finger?)

It could have all been an innocent mistake?

Original Poster

davelfc

You were there so I'm guessing you know what you saw and the look on his … You were there so I'm guessing you know what you saw and the look on his face, although at 30mph looking across at someone things can be unclear.But do you think he was just trying to motion that the crossing bloke was an idiot, I'm guessing that he too would have seen him and had to slow down a little. Sort of, 'wasn't he an idiot back there?The result was you beeping him and 'flagging' him, (is that a posh word for giving him the finger?) It could have all been an innocent mistake?

No, he clearly shook his head at me, and turned away before i could react.
    And yep its a posh way of saying the finger lol.

Sounds like a nightmare Joshanna, in Scotand we have a great driving website where you can have a vent at idiot drivers like that one - heps to get it off your chest! Don't know if there is a site for down south but it is quite fun as you can direct your post at the driver - of course they may never see it but at least you get to say your bit! Anyway I am glad your okay.

A tip to all when in any situation, not just driving...

If someone you don't know makes any comment about you, any gesture, shouts at you in the street, etc, it's always best not to react in any way. Just ignore them.

It's harder than it sounds, but "not getting involved" is, unfortunately, the way forward these days. :-(

Let me see.

YOU nearly hit someone on a crossing. At the next lights a driver shakes his head at you and turned away because that's was as far as he wanted to take it.
    Then you decided you wanted the last word, beeped and gave him the bird. Now you cry lonely female because you nearly got involved in something that could have been worse. You should have ignored him because next time it could turn out nasty.

my bugbear is the twonks who don't know how to get onto a motorway or dual carriageway. entering the motorway @ 45 mph is NOT clever.... and you should enter the nearside lane as soon as is safe, not automatically drive all the way to the end.

OK, sorry - this may not be the right thread for this but it sooo annoying

You mean those who enter too slowly?

yep they're the ones - makes my blood boil

god, I sound like an angry old man

crunchybiscuits

Sounds like a nightmare Joshanna, in Scotand we have a great driving … Sounds like a nightmare Joshanna, in Scotand we have a great driving website where you can have a vent at idiot drivers like that one - heps to get it off your chest! Don't know if there is a site for down south but it is quite fun as you can direct your post at the driver - of course they may never see it but at least you get to say your bit! Anyway I am glad your okay.

On a website somewhere else this man is posting that some 'bloody woman driver' nearly ran a poor bloke over, was driving in the right hand lane when the left was clear and not only that but beeped him and gave him the finger when all he did was shake his head.

Too right there are some idiot drivers out there, especially the ones that don't know it. :giggle:

stora

Let me see.YOU nearly hit someone on a crossing. At the next lights a … Let me see.YOU nearly hit someone on a crossing. At the next lights a driver shakes his head at you and turned away because that's was as far as he wanted to take it. Then you decided you wanted the last word, beeped and gave him the bird. Now you cry lonely female because you nearly got involved in something that could have been worse. You should have ignored him because next time it could turn out nasty.

I think Stora has a point there and whilst I appreciate its not a nice situation for anyone, you could have avoided it by not reacting to the other driver. Its all too easy to caught up in the moment, but its often best, in these circumstances not to react in a retalitory way. People tend to feel overly safe in their cars and get an overinflated sense of confidence when it comes to who is right or wrong on the roads and generally like to let other drivers know about it.

Original Poster

stora

Let me see.YOU nearly hit someone on a crossing. At the next lights a … Let me see.YOU nearly hit someone on a crossing. At the next lights a driver shakes his head at you and turned away because that's was as far as he wanted to take it. Then you decided you wanted the last word, beeped and gave him the bird. Now you cry lonely female because you nearly got involved in something that could have been worse. You should have ignored him because next time it could turn out nasty.

PMSL! Sorry were you there? i DID NOT nearly hit a pedestrian at all, did you not read the start of this thread properly? Like im going to hit a pedestrian in the centre of the busy town, and next to a speed camera.

Youve wound me up no end now, ive never EVER nearly hit anyone while out on the road!
    And sorry, even if i had, which i definatly did not, should the van driver really have shook his head? its got nothing to do with him how i drive, infact, its got nothing to do with anyone else, i passed my test and have still had no accidents etc.

And i aint crying lonely female at all, i know for a fact if it had been a male he wouldnt have gone to the extent of trying to follow them home would he?
    And besides, i could and would have backed myself up, id already decided to go to the local cop shop, if i was SO wrong and nearly hit someone, PMSL :giggle: would i really do that, dont think so.

Its times like these when i wish the neg button was around - you, are just like the van driver, and im sure youd have poked your nose in if you were there!

Ok, vent over, but you deserved it saying i nearly hit a pedestrian.

Original Poster

ribble

I think Stora has a point there and whilst I appreciate its not a nice … I think Stora has a point there and whilst I appreciate its not a nice situation for anyone, you could have avoided it by not reacting to the other driver. Its all too easy to caught up in the moment, but its often best, in these circumstances not to react in a retalitory way. People tend to feel overly safe in their cars and get an overinflated sense of confidence when it comes to who is right or wrong on the roads and generally like to let other drivers know about it.

Im sorry but i dont agree, that is like everyone on here who drives saying theyve never given grief to any other driver, can you honestly say (if you drive) that youve never beeped when anyones cut you up? Or flashed them?
    That is still an act of "road-rage" if you dont believe me ask the police if a beep is a road rage act, as i think youll find it is....

Joshanna

Im sorry but i dont agree, that is like everyone on here who drives … Im sorry but i dont agree, that is like everyone on here who drives saying theyve never given grief to any other driver, can you honestly say (if you drive) that youve never beeped when anyones cut you up? Or flashed them?That is still an act of "road-rage" if you dont believe me ask the police if a beep is a road rage act, as i think youll find it is....

I was stating the point that had you not reacted to the van drivers actions, you would not have put yourself in that situation.

Eveyone beeps and gives the occasional insult and I don't pretend that I don't act the same, but its unfortunate that the other driver decided to overstep the mark on this occasion.

My point was that if you want to avoid situations like that, its often best not to react to other drivers insults even when you blelieve that you have acted in accordance with law etc.

I'm sorry if you felt that my comment attacked you personally.

Original Poster

ribble

I was stating the point that had you not reacted to the van drivers … I was stating the point that had you not reacted to the van drivers actions, you would not have put yourself in that situation. Eveyone beeps and gives the occasional insult and I don't pretend that I don't act the same, but its unfortunate that the other driver decided to overstep the mark on this occasion. My point was that if you want to avoid situations like that, its often best not to react to other drivers insults even when you blelieve that you have acted in accordance with law etc.I'm sorry if you felt that my comment attacked you personally.

No worries, im bigger than letting some comment on a forum offend me, apart from when people tend to get a bit personal and feel the need to say i was too close to hitting a pedestrian (which you didnt) it has just really touched a nerve thats all.

I will still carry on driving and acting the way i did before on the road, i did nothing wrong so wont change, why should i? I still stand by what i did to the van driver, as im sure if i set up a poll the majority of people would have done what i did.

Im sure hes not the first or last idiot on the road i will come across.

Joshanna

Im sorry but i dont agree, that is like everyone on here who drives … Im sorry but i dont agree, that is like everyone on here who drives saying theyve never given grief to any other driver, can you honestly say (if you drive) that youve never beeped when anyones cut you up? Or flashed them?That is still an act of "road-rage" if you dont believe me ask the police if a beep is a road rage act, as i think youll find it is....

As I mentioned a lot earlier in this thread, I hope that the events of yesterday have served as a lesson to you to ignore other road users and not to react. As scary as it might have been for you, if you abuse other road users you should be prepared to accept the consequences. Your little tin shell is not a castle, would you have done this to a stranger in a pub?

Your beeping and the finger were 'road rage' and you yourself are contributing to the problem with your actions. Believe me it is much more effective to smile and ignore other road users.

In one way I am sorry you had to endure what was for you a very scary moment but learn from it and be the better person in future or next time you might not be able to lose the person that is following you and you might have to deal with the consequences of your actions.

Joshanna

Im sure hes not the first or last idiot on the road i will come across.

Its unfortunate that it seems that there are more and more of these people on the roads everyday.

ribble

Its unfortunate that it seems that there are more and more of these … Its unfortunate that it seems that there are more and more of these people on the roads everyday.

From a purely neutral standpoint and from my experience in the police and the one sided story I have read. I would say there were two idiots in this story and one was shaken up by it a little. Judging by her comments in her latter posts not enough to stop her being so stupid next time.

Original Poster

davelfc

As I mentioned a lot earlier in this thread, I hope that the events of … As I mentioned a lot earlier in this thread, I hope that the events of yesterday have served as a lesson to you to ignore other road users and not to react. As scary as it might have been for you, if you abuse other road users you should be prepared to accept the consequences. Your little tin shell is not a castle, would you have done this to a stranger in a pub?Your beeping and the finger were 'road rage' and you yourself are contributing to the problem with your actions. Believe me it is much more effective to smile and ignore other road users. In one way I am sorry you had to endure what was for you a very scary moment but learn from it and be the better person in future or next time you might not be able to lose the person that is following you and you might have to deal with the consequences of your actions.

I never said i didnt take part in road rage, i dont deny what i did at all, but in all honesty, if i wasnt head shaken at would i have done it?
    I wouldnt have even looked over in all honesty had he not gone over the traffic line.

If the time ever arises again, ill deal with it, on my own, with no help just as i did yesterday.

What you are actually forgetting is, he started it, i simply gave him a gesture back for sticking his nose in, does that allow him to try and follow me home?
    The question i ask is, if i had gone home, what would he have done?

I forgot to add aswell, this was all in his works van, should he have been acting in this manor in his works van, doesnt bode very well for the company in question.

Original Poster

davelfc

From a purely neutral standpoint and from my experience in the police and … From a purely neutral standpoint and from my experience in the police and the one sided story I have read. I would say there were two idiots in this story and one was shaken up by it a little. Judging by her comments in her latter posts not enough to stop her being so stupid next time.

Dont forget about the 3rd idiot :giggle: ...

Original Poster

In this thread, there seems to be alot of the pots calling the kettle black.

How many people could say theyd honestly walk away from it without doing anything, when theyd actually done nothing wrong, i can hand on heart say i didnt run the guy over at all or even nearly, and did the van driver actually need to get involved?

Im not going to "back down" and put up with some of the insults posted on this thread, i am not an idiot, i have my moments, but on this occasion i stood up for myself, and still believe i was correct, i dont feel the need to justify myself - and dont appreciate personal attacks, which are prohibited on this board.

And if anyone thinks i have offended, please look back, ive only reacted when given something to react to.....

Joshanna

Dont forget about the 3rd idiot :giggle: ...

The person that crossed the road, sorry forgot about that.

If I were you I would seriously consider calming down a little though when driving, I would hate you to get yourself into a bad situation over something so trivial that 10 seconds later is forgotten. The other people will always be idiots, there's no need to drop to that level.

Joshanna

At the first set of traffic lights (the speed camera is literally maybe 2 … At the first set of traffic lights (the speed camera is literally maybe 2 metres away) they were on green for me to go, some idiot man decided to cross even thought they were on green, at 6pm (still busy) so i saw it in plently of time, and slowed down and he got accross with me being nowhere near him. Bear in mind, i wont be speeding or running red lights due to the speed camera....

Something MUST have happened for the van driver to believe that YOU did something wrong. Did you have to break hard? Did you beep him or anything? Did anyone in the other lane have to stop for him to cross?

Joshanna

In this thread, there seems to be alot of the pots calling the kettle … In this thread, there seems to be alot of the pots calling the kettle black.How many people could say theyd honestly walk away from it without doing anything, when theyd actually done nothing wrong, i can hand on heart say i didnt run the guy over at all or even nearly, and did the van driver actually need to get involved?....

I would have shrugged my shoulders, at the end of the day I know the law of the road and have 25 years driving experience and am police trained. I don't take an opinion of a tool in a white van, I'd just ignore him.

IF I ever did react to anything then I would be prepared to accept the consequences and my part in it, not act as if I was not partly to blame for it, like you are.

Here is my road rage incident.

About 15 years ago I was driving down a straight road on a clear day with very few parked cars, it was dry and the conditions for driving were excellent. In my car was my partner, my 2 year old daughter and my 2 day old son.

There was a Lada in front being driven by a male with a female passenger. I'd say both in their 50's. They were driving at 20mph, so I checked it was safe and started to overtake. Now the highway code clearly states that you should allow others to overtake. This man started to speed up and turned his car at me, he even crossed over the middle of the road almost forcing me to mount the kerb on the right hand side of the road.

I managed to get past and stopped in front of him, I got out of my car and he was too slow to lock his door. I grabbed him and tried to pull him out of the car. At this point I noticed he was wearing his belt and his wife was going crazy. I was ready to beat the man senseless.

However, I decided that he was shaken up enough to realise he had done wrong, when I pointed out I had a 2 day old baby on the car and that he had tried to kill us all he went white. I also think that being held by some 6'2" angry bloke had something to do with that.

I am not proud that I got out of the car and wanted to hurt him, I hope it served as a lesson to this man that playing in cars can result in death. But for his seat belt, it was nearly his.

I learned from that, while I was not to blame for the fact he tried to kill me I was wrong to get so angry. if I make mistakes now while driving (and we all do,) I raise my hand in an apologetic way to the other driver. It works wonders.

While I have already said I have no problems with male or female drivers, they are both as bad as each other. I do find that women are less likely to accept the blame.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767129
      2. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1831
      3. In-store receipt cashback - Shopitize, TopCashBack's 'Groceries', Quidco's …2599
      4. TechInTheBasket?69

See more discussions