Expired

Going on my travels - need help with navigation.

12 replies
Found 18th Dec 2008
OK, I am planning a long trip by car through Western Europe next year - Holland, Belgium, France, Spain, Italy and maybe up through Austria Germany etc.

My wife alleges that I am not that hot a map reader (although I always seem to get there eventually!).
She says that I must buy something called a satellite navigation device preferably made by Tom Tom.
I started looking then got totally confused about which one, what with GOs, XLs, V1, V2 and so on.
Looking for one hopefully with a wide screen, the ability to put mp3 music onto a memory card, good maps of Western Europe, traffic camera alerts would be great, even better if they covered Europe (is that possible?), the ability to charge the device at home by mains as well as the car socket, one that speaks to me nicely and one that helps me avoid traffic jams, although that is not essential.
looking at around £120 to 1£150 - all I need is to find out if there a a Tom Tom models that fitas those criteria and is recommended by anyone and I will search around for the best price in the sales.

Many thanks

12 Comments

If you have a n95 phone stick garmin xt on it.:thumbsup:

Get yourself a TomTom 520...that will do the trick. Should get one for less than £150.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Thanks, but can't seem to find a Tom Tom 520 with European maps - seem to be Uk and Ireland only: many places now say replaced by a 530??

(Edit- found one on Amazon but £204 delivered???.....Wow, more than I thought.

Copperface;3803455

Thanks, but can't seem to find a Tom Tom 520 with European maps - seem to … Thanks, but can't seem to find a Tom Tom 520 with European maps - seem to be Uk and Ireland only: many places now say replaced by a 530??(Edit- found one on Amazon but £204 delivered???.....Wow, more than I thought.

Anyone of these at Halfords would work great for you, most are under the £150 mark too :thumbsup: ]http//ww…7C1

Original Poster

Thanks for the above link. Will pop into Halfords tomorrow and have a look.
Several around the £150 mark as well but starts to get confusing when some have expansion card slots, some son't, some do rerouting some don't and so on.
Thay should be able to sort me out.
many thanks to all

We've had a TomTom and a Garmin, the Garmin is much cheaper and sooo much better.TomTom crashed half the time as was not as user friendly.

Get a Navigo V2 from here (£59) as well as a Sat Nav it also plays MP3's, DivX Movies, etc :

ebuyer.com/pro…672

If you know what your doing you can easily upgrade it to Tomtom 7 with map detail you wouldn't believe of Western & Central Europe. :thumbsup:

esq3585;3803250

If you have a n95 phone stick garmin xt on it.:thumbsup:

If you have a N95 phone stick TOM TOM on it

pioneer.co.uk/uk/…tml

ive got one of these i could sell at 60.00 delivered like new

It's now £49.78 delivered !!! :thumbsup:

ebuyer.com/pro…672

Original Poster

Hi, Unfortunately I know nothing about upgrading the Navigo and would rather just get one that I haven't got to mes around with. No N95 phone either. Ref the Pioneer, would rather speak to TomTom or Garmin but thanks for the offer.

Still getting very confused because it seems that lots of the Tom Tom models have changed their names/designations yet do the same thing, some stores (comet) seem to have an exclusive one, which may not be exclusive. I'm lost.
Probably going to go to Halfords, speak to a salesman, find the one model that fits the requiremnts I listed above, be it TomTom or Garmin, then check elsewhere for that model and pick the best price.

However, if someone does know of a model that does fit the requirements above then would be glad to hear it,
Cheers.

Original Poster

Finally chosen a Garmin 265W, European Maps, handsfree Bluetooth, 4.3 screen - looks good.
On special offer at Comet for 146 quid, only a pound more expensive than Amazon and can pick it up tomorrow - no waiting around for a courier.
Thanks for advice.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Lower car insurance55
    2. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604796
    3. word association Game74244889
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322848

See more discussions