Going to Alton Towers - anything else to do near there?

Found 11th May 2009
Hi all.
Travelling from London to Alton Towers - the journey was far too long last time both ways in one day so am considering staying overnight, just wondered if there is anything else up those ways worth visiting at the same time?

My kiddies are 4 (boy) and 6 (girl)

Any (sensible) suggestions appreciated :-)

23 Comments

Drayton manor park is only 30 minutes from Alton towers, Thomas land will be great for them both...and the rest of the park is ok for them too....my 4 1/2 year old girl loved it last thursday.

Call into my auties and have a cup of tea lol.

WaterWorld in stoke-on-trent

How about getting one of these, fantastic value for money and plenty more for you to do in that area too.

thrillhopper.com/

Trentham forest monkey forest. You walk through the forest and monkeys are roaming free. Great day out.

kidcat;5178759

Trentham forest monkey forest. You walk through the forest and monkeys … Trentham forest monkey forest. You walk through the forest and monkeys are roaming free. Great day out.

That sounds kl :thumbsup:

Annie1508;5178725

How about getting one of these, fantastic value for money and plenty more … How about getting one of these, fantastic value for money and plenty more for you to do in that area too.http://www.thrillhopper.com/

That seems like a good deal actually - Family Ticket: £125.95 (2 adults and 2 children) for entrance to Alton Towers, Drayton Manor, SnowDome, and Waterworld on any four days excl bank holidays. Repped :thumbsup:

EDIT: Not so good for me after finding that AT and DM are 47 miles apart...

Try Twycross Zoo :thumbsup:

twycrosszoo.com/

Original Poster

Thanks all so far

Will look up about Drayton Manor as it is much too far for us usually (I looked when Thomasland first opened LOL!) Would maybe prefer something other than another themepark though - I am dreading the AT queues already!

I already have AT tickets - we got the ones where you go in February half term and the next visit is free - otherwise I wouldn't be going back! Wanted to sell the tickets and go Chessington instead but the tickets have my name on them :x

Would love to go to the snowdome, is there anything there suitable for my 2 kiddies, being so young?

Waterparks won't be any good for me, I'm afraid.

Would love some more suggestions, please!

Edit: I saw something about a space centre not too far from AT, anyone know what that's about?

Original Poster

mikebike;5179314

Try Twycross Zoo :thumbsup:http://www.twycrosszoo.com/

Thank you - zoo could be an option, was planning to go to Colchester Zoo with my Tesco vouchers

Gonna go on Tesco website now and see if I can use them at Twycross

Edit: No, we can't - can use them for Drayton Manor though :thinking:

I live just down the road from the Snowdome and it's great They have sledges and lots of great stuff and then when you have done you can pop over the road and play a game or two of ten pin bowling!

snowdome.co.uk/

namcoexperience.com/tam…php

PM if you want any more local help

Mrs.Z;5179326

Thanks all so far :)Will look up about Drayton Manor as it is much too … Thanks all so far :)Will look up about Drayton Manor as it is much too far for us usually (I looked when Thomasland first opened LOL!) Would maybe prefer something other than another themepark though - I am dreading the AT queues already!I already have AT tickets - we got the ones where you go in February half term and the next visit is free - otherwise I wouldn't be going back! Wanted to sell the tickets and go Chessington instead but the tickets have my name on them :xWould love to go to the snowdome, is there anything there suitable for my 2 kiddies, being so young?Waterparks won't be any good for me, I'm afraid.Would love some more suggestions, please!Edit: I saw something about a space centre not too far from AT, anyone know what that's about?

There's the National Space Centre in Leicester but that's not too near AT. However, I would give it a miss as we went there a couple of weeks ago with our daughters aged 4 & 8 and both myself and the youngest were bored stupid. My husband and the eldest quite liked it as it's very educational but not much fun (and expensive!!). Try the sledging at the snowdome, we did this at Xscape near Leeds a couple of years ago and the girls LOVED it.

It's hard to recommend something else to do with the kids that isn't a theme park. Are you in the National Trust? If so, visit Belton House near Grantham as the kids play area there is fantastic and my girls enjoyed going around the house too as they got to dress up in Victorian dresses. It's a lovely place for a picnic and we go quite often, only because we're in the National Trust and it's ½hr drive from us in Lincoln.

monkey-forest.com/inf…t=1

found link to the monkey forest, its fairly cheap and no queues.

If you are travelling from London, have you considered somewhere in between the two places rather than in the same area? Maybe like Cadbury World? We stopped there on way back from London one year and the kids loved it, there was loads to see and do.

Banned

You can try and beat my score at Duel, read it and weep

http://www.lumor.co.uk/alton duel.jpg

Original Poster

lumoruk;5180673

You can try and beat my score at Duel, read it and weep

LOL! What's that, a shooting game?

Original Poster

Am really liking the snowdome idea at the moment. When we have arranged a date I will just have to phone the snowdome and check the times and stuff.

The snowdome is 48 miles from Alton Towers, but at least it's inbetween AT and home.

SO can anyone recommend a decent, reasonably priced hotel round abouts? Would it be worth going to the Alton Towers hotel if we aren't doing the waterpark (as in, is there anything special about it?)?

Banned

Mrs.Z;5181430

LOL! What's that, a shooting game?

Your kids will love it, its a ghost train slash shooter

Original Poster

lumoruk;5181695

Your kids will love it, its a ghost train slash shooter

Serious? Where's that?

Banned

Mrs.Z;5183511

Serious? Where's that?

Alton Towers :?

we went at easter, AT is amazing, you can buy large coca cola plastic drinks bottles at the main doors for £4.99 and get them filled up at no extra cost all day long when your there, we used 1 between the 3 of us! great idea! we also visited cadbury world when we were there, that was also fantastic! well worth it for the free chocolate - we used our tesco clubcard tokens to get in there, i think its quite pricey otherwise. hope you have a fab time!

Original Poster

lumoruk;5183567

Alton Towers :?

:oops: Thought you was trying to give me an extra idea of something to do

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5183572

http://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/

Thank you

hocka;5185249

we went at easter, AT is amazing, you can buy large coca cola plastic … we went at easter, AT is amazing, you can buy large coca cola plastic drinks bottles at the main doors for £4.99 and get them filled up at no extra cost all day long when your there, we used 1 between the 3 of us! great idea! we also visited cadbury world when we were there, that was also fantastic! well worth it for the free chocolate - we used our tesco clubcard tokens to get in there, i think its quite pricey otherwise. hope you have a fab time!

Thank you, don't let the kids drink fizzy, though
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition51460
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1515
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums11
    4. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!11

See more discussions