Groups

Going to Edinburgh - Advice Needed

Hi, going to edinburgh first time.. could someone tell me what is the cheapest way of getting from the airport to the city centre. There are 3 of us going, so I am wondering if anyone knows how much a taxi would cost?

Also, would appreciate advice on things to do and places to visit. We are there for the weekend.

Thank you in advance.

17 Comments

City cab is pretty cheap to the airport. The castle is an obvious must see. Need your age group and if you kids or not to advice on other attractions.

Theres a Lothian Buses Airlink service (bus service number 100) that will take you from airport (right outside the domestic arrivals) to Edinburgh City Centre. It usually runs every 10 minutes. (fare is £3.50 one way or £6 return for an adult).

As for what to do /what to visit - thats up to you - theres loads. I suggest you pop into the tourist information centre near waverley bridge and pick up a guide. If you like walking, then cross the bridges/park from new town, take the steps up to old town, pass the parliment buildings walk up the radical road to Arthurs seat. Or theres art galleries, shopping galore, pubs a plenty and throw in a castle for good luck. Now all you need is to wrap up warm against the wind and cold and don't be tempted to think its warm in mid June.

Edited by: "cyrano" 17th Jun 2011

Banned

Cheapest is the bus to city centre

Advice? Go somewhere else unless you like the English and Aussies. And perhaps the Japanese.

Original Poster

cyrano

Theres a Lothian Buses Airlink service (bus service number 100) that will … Theres a Lothian Buses Airlink service (bus service number 100) that will take you from airport (right outside the domestic arrivals) to Edinburgh City Centre. It usually runs every 10 minutes. As for what to do /what to visit - thats up to you - theres loads. I suggest you pop into the tourist information centre near waverley bridge and pick up a guide. If you like walking, then cross the bridges/park from new town, take the steps up to old town, pass the parliment buildings walk up the radical road to Arthurs seat. Or theres art galleries, shopping galore, pubs a plenty and throw in a castle for good luck. Now all you need is to wrap up warm against the wind and cold and don't be tempted to think its warm in mid June.

Thanks for the tip cyrano.. prepared for the cr*p weather.. supposed to rain a lot..

Original Poster

louise735

City cab is pretty cheap to the airport. The castle is an obvious must … City cab is pretty cheap to the airport. The castle is an obvious must see. Need your age group and if you kids or not to advice on other attractions.

Thanks louise.. all of us in the same age group...

You might get lucky, it might stop for a while. oO

we went for the weekend a cpl of weeks ago - the zoo is pretty decent dungeons waste of money and time , grass market for night out although its not cheap

Take a warm waterproof coat, it is summer after all

Hit up Edinburgh Castle yo

we went last month and had a ball - see here for tips when i asked - hotukdeals.com/dea…661

we had a ball - there are vouchers on cereal packets (as per the post) for the dungeons - we loved it - i thought it was great value for about £8 each. Not suitable for kids, but good fun.

Also i printed off Zavvi 2 for 1's etc for cheap meal.

There are lots of free museums / galleries and the parliament is free to look around too.

Its a beautiful city - have a lovely time (_;)

ps. we got the airlink as above - they were about every 20 minutes and were nice clean buses.

is it this weekend ? you can see Bon Jovi for £25 at Murrayfield here - groupon.co.uk/dea…513

Original Poster

lucerysmum

we went last month and had a ball - see here for tips when i asked - … we went last month and had a ball - see here for tips when i asked - http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal-requests/things-do-edinburgh/936661we had a ball - there are vouchers on cereal packets (as per the post) for the dungeons - we loved it - i thought it was great value for about £8 each. Not suitable for kids, but good fun.Also i printed off Zavvi 2 for 1's etc for cheap meal.There are lots of free museums / galleries and the parliament is free to look around too.Its a beautiful city - have a lovely time (_;)

Thanks so much.. ur link was amazingly helpful..

Scott Monument, Camera Obscura, climb arthurs seat, Royal Botanic Garden, Surgeons Museum - rcsed.ac.uk/sit…spx, Museum Of Childhood. All free apart from the scott monument which I think is about 3.50-£4

For cheap food, go to the student area next to the national museum, when I went in may got a chicken kebab with as much salad as I wanted(salad bar) chips and a drink for £3.95 before 5pm

agmayu

Thanks so much.. ur link was amazingly helpful..

glad to help - it is a lovely city - have fun !

George street good. . . . Expensive, but a treat!!!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …285990
      2. Your dream gaming set up?2659
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846322
      4. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1841

See more discussions