going to ireland but have no passport help needed

Found 27th Nov 2012
i dont have and cant get my first passport in time to go to irelend easily what are my options can i travel with diff form of I.D help me please
Community Updates
24 Comments
Don't need any on the boat.
Ireland, along with the UK, is a member of the Common Travel Area. This means that British Citizens do not require a passport to visit Ireland. However, Irish immigration officers will check the IDs of all passengers arriving by air from the UK and most airlines will not carry passengers to and from Ireland unless they have seen satisfactory photographic ID before boarding. Travellers to Ireland are therefore advised to take their British passports with them.

Other than passports, some carriers may accept other types of photographic ID. For their acceptability, please consult your carrier before travelling. Take care to read any advice they may give when booking tickets on the Internet.

FCO Advice
Edited by: "natversion1" 27th Nov 2012
If you are flying you will almost certainly need a passport to get on a plane...
Original Poster Banned
natversion1

reland, along with the UK, is a member of the Common Travel Area. This … reland, along with the UK, is a member of the Common Travel Area. This means that British Citizens do not require a passport to visit Ireland. However, Irish immigration officers will check the IDs of all passengers arriving by air from the UK and most airlines will not carry passengers to and from Ireland unless they have seen satisfactory photographic ID before boarding. Travellers to Ireland are therefore advised to take their British passports with them.Other than passports, some carriers may accept other types of photographic ID. For their acceptability, please consult your carrier before travelling. Take care to read any advice they may give when booking tickets on the Internet.FCO Advice

i've read that mate thanks what i'm after is some first hand knowledge if poss
Op are you flying? If so you will need a passport.
Original Poster Banned
IamMT

Op are you flying? If so you will need a passport.

all i know is some companies used to allow flights to ireland without a passport as it was or is classed as an internal flight but i'm not sure if thats still the case
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Admin/BkFill/Default_image_group/2011/9/5/1315227906826/David-Walliams-vs-The-Tha-007.jpg
We don't have any official Id in the UK other than a passport, other countries allow people to fly with the government I'd cards internally.
Pretty sure that none allow you on a plane without a passport...
Depends on the airport and the airline OP; I live in Scotland but I'm from N.Ireland so I travel back and forth regularly. Give us the details and we'll see if we can advise
You will be able to get your passport in time, you can do the day service thing?

gov.uk/get…tly
Actually flybe would let you travel according to this flybe.com/fli…htm please check with them directly to make sure!
Last time i went and that was about 4yrs ago, i had to take my passport.
Can you not use a photo ID driving license? I'd speak to the airline involved to make sure either way!
Can you not get an express passport from London, within a few hours?

Have they stopped this service?
None of the airlines will now let you travel without a passport and it will be checked when you arrive in Ireland. Ryanair and Aer Lingus used to let you use a photo driving licence but that changed about 5 years ago.

If you don't want to pay for the fast passport service, then you're either getting the ferry or you're not going.

[source: i'm an expat living in Ireland]
Edited by: "suchafunkymonkey" 27th Nov 2012
suchafunkymonkey

None of the airlines will now let you travel without a passport and it … None of the airlines will now let you travel without a passport and it will be checked when you arrive in Ireland. Ryanair and Aer Lingus used to let you use a photo driving licence but that changed about 5 years ago.If you don't want to pay for the fast passport service, then you're either getting the ferry or you're not going.[source: i'm an expat living in Ireland]

This is for the best. What with the terrorist activities, I for one support this without question.
bencotucker

Afgans can hang on the bottom of a truck to the uk.and u can't manage a … Afgans can hang on the bottom of a truck to the uk.and u can't manage a 20 mile sea crossingthere is no hope!!!

These "Afgans" as you put it, obviously have no respect for their own lives.
mosskeeto

We don't have any official Id in the UK other than a passport, other … We don't have any official Id in the UK other than a passport, other countries allow people to fly with the government I'd cards internally.

With a German ID card that everyone has to have you can also travel anywhere in the EU.
ID cards I think are a brilliant idea.

but yea.. passport or you cant fly.
Depends what the OP classifies as "Ireland". Flights to Northern Ireland are domestic and hence, sone operators let you use drivers licences

corporate.easyjet.com/med…spx
Banned
Went via Ryanair to Dublin in 2009 from Bristol and only needed Photo ID, so used a driving licence. Flew to Belfast 3 months later with Easyjet, again used driving licence.

Best bet is to ring the airline you are travelling with, they will advise you
AndyC1971

Went via Ryanair to Dublin in 2009 from Bristol and only needed Photo ID, … Went via Ryanair to Dublin in 2009 from Bristol and only needed Photo ID, so used a driving licence. Flew to Belfast 3 months later with Easyjet, again used driving licence. Best bet is to ring the airline you are travelling with, they will advise you

Ryanair are now passport *only*. Even for domestics

Also, their helpline was £1 a minute last time I checked!
Edited by: "jaybear88" 27th Nov 2012
Banned
jaybear88

Ryanair are now passport *only*. Even for domestics :(Also, their … Ryanair are now passport *only*. Even for domestics :(Also, their helpline was £1 a minute last time I checked!

Bummer and Bummer, lol.
AndyC1971

Bummer and Bummer, lol.

Tell me about it, I only found out when I turned up for a flight....
Jetpac

With a German ID card that everyone has to have you can also travel … With a German ID card that everyone has to have you can also travel anywhere in the EU.ID cards I think are a brilliant idea.

I don't. It is illegal to leave the house without one and you will get fined if stopped and you fail to produce one. Sort of the same in the Netherlands. You need to carry your passport with you at all times. Police gave my friend a half hour grilling in a cop car because he didn't have his on him - that after he went to the police to give eye witness information after a cabbie was attacked.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants