Expired

Going to Liverpool for 4 days, ideas of what to do anyone?

Found 5th Aug 2017
Hey guys n gals.. I'm going to Liverpool for 4 days as my 14 year old daughter really likes certain stores there that aren't in Hull including the Grand central store. She's an emo (dark and alternative person lol.
We've already been a couple of times before and have visited the maritime museum and the docks.
Im not a huge fan of the Beatles but both my parents were (bit of irrelevant info here, my dad looked the double of John Lennon when he was younger, very cool). So although I wouldn't mind learning a little bit more about them my daughter really wouldn't be interested.
Wondering if anybody has any ideas of other things we could do while we are there that hopefully doesn't cost an arm and a leg.. al suggestions welcome.. thanks fellow hukd ers
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
@themachman One for you
The Beatles exhibition thingy is actually very interesting regardless of whether you are a fan or not. A lot of social history. The dock area is worth a good wander about and the museum of Liverpool is also good and free. Not sure what an emo would think of these things though.
psychobitchfromhell17 m ago

The Beatles exhibition thingy is actually very interesting regardless of …The Beatles exhibition thingy is actually very interesting regardless of whether you are a fan or not. A lot of social history. The dock area is worth a good wander about and the museum of Liverpool is also good and free. Not sure what an emo would think of these things though.

Lol she would like the museums and things like that.. will definitely go around those. And we will go for a wander around the docks again probably, some nice restaurants around there isn't there I'm just wondering if there is anything I've not thought of (I'm sure there will be lots). I'll maybe try the Beatles exhibition thingy lol I'll look into it. She wouldn't mind going, it's just if it goes on and on she will zone out n put her earphones in.. Thanks for the suggestions we went around the Christmas markets there at Christmas and it was very nice old part of town that seemed to have a lot of charm, can't remember where exactly that was but I'll have a look online and maybe go back there too
Few more ideas here
dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/thi…ool
She may be a bit old for some of them. Have a great time. I took my kid to Liverpool last year and we really enjoyed it.
psychobitchfromhell21 m ago

Few more ideas …Few more ideas herehttps://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/north-west/merseyside/liverpoolShe may be a bit old for some of them. Have a great time. I took my kid to Liverpool last year and we really enjoyed it.

That's a great list! Thankyou, already seen about 6 things we could do and enjoy and only looked at the first 2 pages.. the "haunted Liverpool" thing sounds really good but looking for it online I don't think it exists any more which is a shame, my daughter would have loved to do that. Thanks for your tips and we will have a great time
Make sure you got locking wheel nuts
Sambat10 h, 53 m ago

Make sure you got locking wheel nuts

Lol.. what u saying?? They'll be gone?! lol I'm from Hull so that don't scare me!
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 6th Aug 2017
Leahs just off to work, but I'll be back on later tonight with some suggestions
themachman3 m ago

Leahs just off to work, but I'll be back on later tonight with some …Leahs just off to work, but I'll be back on later tonight with some suggestions

Oh that's great thanks. I've got a week off, sorry! lol
Sambat is making me feel home sick. Us scousers have a bad reputation alright, and sometimes deservedly so.

Anyway Leah, I recommend a visit to both of Liverpool's Cathedrals which are located on either end of Hope Street which is not all that far from the main shopping area, on one end is the controversial building of the Catholic cathedral and on the other end is the Anglican cathedral which is built in the style of Gothic Revival architecture. Your daughter should surely like the Anglican cathedral being that she's an emo who I believe are similar to Goths. It is a very impressive building.

And as you’re going for 4 days maybe take a trip to one of Liverpool's famous parks as well, I recommend a trip to Sefton Park. The park was actually quite dilapidated for quite some time during the 1980's till fairly recent too though in 2005 it received provisional approval for a major £5 million Heritage Lottery funded renovation project, and in 2013 was granted the prestigious Green Flag Award for high standards. Apparently it is very impressive too. It’s been quite a few years since I last visited Liverpool, so can’t vouch for that though there has been a massive improvement since I was last there, apparently. I do highly recommend it though.

I also recommend a visit to Sefton Park's Palm House as well. The grounds of the Palm House also feature a replica of the Peter Pan statue, the one that’s in Kensington Gardens.

I was actually brought up in a part of Liverpool called Wavertree, Sefton Park which was our local park where we played as kids, was about 15 minute’s walk away. I also have fond memories of myself and a friend a mine going in to the Palm House one day when we were teenagers and helping ourselves to handfuls of the coins that people threw in the stream located around the inside of the perimeter of the house. Those were the days. We weren’t just typical scousers either, we were typical teenagers. Happy times.

You can also walk down Penny Lane to Sefton Park as well. Penny Lane might be worth a visit though I actually don't recommend the walk to the park from there as it’s just a regular road believe it or not, there’s actually nothing interesting there apart from the fact that it’s Penny Lane. I’m only mentioning this as we used to walk our dog that way when taking her to the park, sadly she’s no longer with us any more unfortunately.

Will you be driving in to Liverpool by the way? If not you’ll need to catch a bus if you do decide to visit Sefton Park that is. Aigburth Drive side would be your best bet to get off if you do have to catch a bus. Ask at the tourist information center for which one to take if you are, they’ll also tell you where to catch it as well, and ask the bus driver where to get off.

You also mentioned something about taking an interest in visiting Haunted Liverpool. Speke Hall is also famous for its haunted rooms, including the famous White Lady who apparently haunts the Tapestry Room. It does look like a bit of a hassle getting there from the city center if you are having to relying on public transport (about an hour’s journey, a train from Lime Street, then a bus, and a 15 minute walk. You can also catch two buses to get there as well though this appears no different) which is a pity as I do recommend it. It’s about a 30 minute drive from the city center otherwise.

liverpool.gov.uk/lei…rk/

visitliverpool.com/thi…als

nationaltrust.org.uk/spe…ate

Anyway, regardless of what you decide to do, and you’ve said you’ve been before though enjoy your stay regardless, no doubt you will, and happy shopping too of course.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 6th Aug 2017
LemonHead2 h, 2 m ago

Sambat is making me feel home sick. Us scousers have a bad reputation …Sambat is making me feel home sick. Us scousers have a bad reputation alright, and sometimes deservedly so. Anyway Leah, I recommend a visit to both of Liverpool's Cathedrals which are located on either end of Hope Street which is not all that far from the main shopping area, on one end is the controversial building of the Catholic cathedral and on the other end is the Anglican cathedral which is built in the style of Gothic Revival architecture. Your daughter should surely like the Anglican cathedral being that she's an emo who I believe are similar to Goths. It is a very impressive building. And as you’re going for 4 days maybe take a trip to one of Liverpool's famous parks as well, I recommend a trip to Sefton Park. The park was actually quite dilapidated for quite some time during the 1980's till fairly recent too though in 2005 it received provisional approval for a major £5 million Heritage Lottery funded renovation project, and in 2013 was granted the prestigious Green Flag Award for high standards. Apparently it is very impressive too. It’s been quite a few years since I last visited Liverpool, so can’t vouch for that though there has been a massive improvement since I was last there, apparently. I do highly recommend it though.I also recommend a visit to Sefton Park's Palm House as well. The grounds of the Palm House also feature a replica of the Peter Pan statue, the one that’s in Kensington Gardens.I was actually brought up in a part of Liverpool called Wavertree, Sefton Park which was our local park where we played as kids, was about 15 minute’s walk away. I also have fond memories of myself and a friend a mine going in to the Palm House one day when we were teenagers and helping ourselves to handfuls of the coins that people threw in the stream located around the inside of the perimeter of the house. Those were the days. We weren’t just typical scousers either, we were typical teenagers. Happy times.You can also walk down Penny Lane to Sefton Park as well. Penny Lane might be worth a visit though I actually don't recommend the walk to the park from there as it’s just a regular road believe it or not, there’s actually nothing interesting there apart from the fact that it’s Penny Lane. I’m only mentioning this as we used to walk our dog that way when taking her to the park, sadly she’s no longer with us any more unfortunately.Will you be driving in to Liverpool by the way? If not you’ll need to catch a bus if you do decide to visit Sefton Park that is. Aigburth Drive side would be your best bet to get off if you do have to catch a bus. Ask at the tourist information center for which one to take if you are, they’ll also tell you where to catch it as well, and ask the bus driver where to get off. You also mentioned something about taking an interest in visiting Haunted Liverpool. Speke Hall is also famous for its haunted rooms, including the famous White Lady who apparently haunts the Tapestry Room. It does look like a bit of a hassle getting there from the city center if you are having to relying on public transport (about an hour’s journey, a train from Lime Street, then a bus, and a 15 minute walk. You can also catch two buses to get there as well though this appears no different) which is a pity as I do recommend it. It’s about a 30 minute drive from the city center otherwise.http://liverpool.gov.uk/leisure-parks-and-events/parks-and-greenspaces/sefton-park/http://www.visitliverpool.com/things-to-do/maritime-and-heritage/liverpool-cathedralshttps://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/speke-hall-garden-and-estateAnyway, regardless of what you decide to do, and you’ve said you’ve been before though enjoy your stay regardless, no doubt you will, and happy shopping too of course.

Wow Thankyou for that.. so much information to take in I may have to read that a few more times for everything to sink in! Lol.. Thankyou.. your typical teenage actions seem like something very similar to things me and my friends did in our local park lol.. kids just don't do anything like we used to, it's a shame.
I don't drive so We are going on the train (hopefully by next year I will be driving). I worry about getting on buses as I'm scared I miss the stop or get on the wrong bus and end up going somewhere total opposite and get lost. I need to be brave I think and just do it. Thanks for all your advice :-) we will have a good time I'm sure. Hopefully in the next couple of years I will be able to afford to go abroad somewhere. Thanks again
Leahs just in from work
Lemonhead has picked some great places there. Speke Hall is a fantastic place to visit,tad expensive to get in, it's not far from my house and people who live withing the boundaries get in for free. All the airport buses ( they all have an A at the end,80A,82A,86A go there and a day rider bus ticket costs £4.30 and you can use it all day on Arriva buses in the Liverpool area.

Well worth a look is the village of Hale too which isnt far from the airport, its a small village where a giant man lived. its a great little place with a few pubs, the church were hes buried and if you walk down theres a lighthouse.

en.wikipedia.org/wik…nt)

the museums are superb in liverpool and theyre all free. the life museum is by the albert dock but the world museum is way better and its not far from the city centre. think they have an Egyptian mummy event going on at the mo.
next door to it are liverpool art gallery which is superb and the liverpool library which has a glass roof and is beautiful.

the shiverpool ghost tours are brilliant where they take you around the city at night showing you ghostly places
shiverpool.co.uk/our…spx

also the parks are superb and theres loads of them,sefton park,calderstones park being the most famous

ferry cross the mersey is a must do along with mathew street

the shop your visiting used to be called quiggins and has a very famous reputation people had a huge pertition to stop it being moved to make way for liverpool 1.

if you get lost dont be afraid to ask anyone,friendliest city in the world

anything else you need to know drop me a mail

excuse the typing but im nodding off now
Edited by: "themachman" 6th Aug 2017
There's also The Walker Art Gallery and Tate Liverpool. There's actually quite a few in the centre that are more or less within walking distance. Tate Liverpool is very interesting, at least it was when I last went, sometime in the late 80's, blimey that's a long time ago. One of my brothers also had an exhibition at the Bluecoat Chambers recently as well, if I have been I can't remember, looks very nice though. It would have been a long time ago if I had though looking at some of the reviews it does look like a nice place to visit, nice garden too apparently, it's about 12 minutes walk from the Walker Art Gallery.

I suppose the prices of the buses are normal for most cities from what themachman has pointed out though we are spoilt here in London thanks to Sadiq Khan, catching two buses within one hour costs only £1.50, makes other places look very expensive. You can also go as far as you like within the boundaries of London as well. £4.50 isn't bad though for catching more than one bus within a 24 hour period.

Also worth a visit is the Eleanor Rigby statue in Stanley Street, designed and made by Tommy Steele. Stanley Street is just off Whitechappel, within walking distance from The Walker Art Gallery. Check Google Maps, other maps are available of course.

And how's this for name dropping, Tommy Steele used to be my neighbour as well, he used to live on Petersham Road in Richmond, very nice man according to one of the women who use to work for him as a house keeper. She used to work in the same place as me, that's how I found out. Well that's my claim to fame. According to Wikipedia the commission for the Eleanor Rigby statue was only 3p as well. The offer was accepted by the Council as well. Just goes to show, looks like the woman that worked in the same place as me must have been right after all.

And you mustn't miss the Hillsborough memorial sculpture just outside Lime Street Station. Definitely worth pausing for for a few minutes before heading to the cities main attractions.

Yeah, and how can I forget the Ferry across the Mersey. Which brings to mind two books, one of which I read when I was a teenager; Twopence to Cross the Mersey, a very sweet and innocent book by Helen Forrester, and Her Benny which is the most famous of the two by Silas Hocking, a book about Liverpool street children, published 1879. Her Benny is also interlaced with Scouse words and phrases, so may be a bit tricky to read for some though a highly recommended book all the same.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 7th Aug 2017
themachman16 h, 2 m ago

Leahs just in from work Lemonhead has picked some great places there. …Leahs just in from work Lemonhead has picked some great places there. Speke Hall is a fantastic place to visit,tad expensive to get in, it's not far from my house and people who live withing the boundaries get in for free. All the airport buses ( they all have an A at the end,80A,82A,86A go there and a day rider bus ticket costs £4.30 and you can use it all day on Arriva buses in the Liverpool area.Well worth a look is the village of Hale too which isnt far from the airport, its a small village where a giant man lived. its a great little place with a few pubs, the church were hes buried and if you walk down theres a lighthouse.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Middleton_(giant)the museums are superb in liverpool and theyre all free. the life museum is by the albert dock but the world museum is way better and its not far from the city centre. think they have an Egyptian mummy event going on at the mo.next door to it are liverpool art gallery which is superb and the liverpool library which has a glass roof and is beautiful.the shiverpool ghost tours are brilliant where they take you around the city at night showing you ghostly placeshttp://www.shiverpool.co.uk/our-tours.aspxalso the parks are superb and theres loads of them,sefton park,calderstones park being the most famousferry cross the mersey is a must do along with mathew streetthe shop your visiting used to be called quiggins and has a very famous reputation people had a huge pertition to stop it being moved to make way for liverpool 1.if you get lost dont be afraid to ask anyone,friendliest city in the world anything else you need to know drop me a mailexcuse the typing but im nodding off now

Nie one themachman
Oh forgot to add you must see thesuperlambabnana a great sculpture and youll see them dotted around liverpool but the main one is in tithebarn street
31638577-BvXke.jpg
themachman6th Aug

Leahs just in from work Lemonhead has picked some great places there. …Leahs just in from work Lemonhead has picked some great places there. Speke Hall is a fantastic place to visit,tad expensive to get in, it's not far from my house and people who live withing the boundaries get in for free. All the airport buses ( they all have an A at the end,80A,82A,86A go there and a day rider bus ticket costs £4.30 and you can use it all day on Arriva buses in the Liverpool area.Well worth a look is the village of Hale too which isnt far from the airport, its a small village where a giant man lived. its a great little place with a few pubs, the church were hes buried and if you walk down theres a lighthouse.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Middleton_(giant)the museums are superb in liverpool and theyre all free. the life museum is by the albert dock but the world museum is way better and its not far from the city centre. think they have an Egyptian mummy event going on at the mo.next door to it are liverpool art gallery which is superb and the liverpool library which has a glass roof and is beautiful.the shiverpool ghost tours are brilliant where they take you around the city at night showing you ghostly placeshttp://www.shiverpool.co.uk/our-tours.aspxalso the parks are superb and theres loads of them,sefton park,calderstones park being the most famousferry cross the mersey is a must do along with mathew streetthe shop your visiting used to be called quiggins and has a very famous reputation people had a huge pertition to stop it being moved to make way for liverpool 1.if you get lost dont be afraid to ask anyone,friendliest city in the world anything else you need to know drop me a mailexcuse the typing but im nodding off now

Thankyou very much for all that information.. we are at the mercure near the docks so some of the museums very nearby.. so far we've been in a few old buildings and lottttttttss of shopping, I have no money now for Christmas lol museums will be good tomorrow.. thanks again for all your information
ps what are those lamabanana things about?! Lol saw some mini ones in a shop but not seen any big ones yet
LeahsMintytoutou3 h, 14 m ago

Thankyou very much for all that information.. we are at the mercure near …Thankyou very much for all that information.. we are at the mercure near the docks so some of the museums very nearby.. so far we've been in a few old buildings and lottttttttss of shopping, I have no money now for Christmas lol museums will be good tomorrow.. thanks again for all your information ps what are those lamabanana things about?! Lol saw some mini ones in a shop but not seen any big ones yet

Its a famous sculpture in Liverpool but it caused lots of commotion when it was first made.people saying it was horrible. others saying it was a waste of money, but it's become very iconic and embraced by Liverpool Theres loads of different patterned ones and have become very collectible. you can buy mini ones ( official) from a lot of tourist centres.
Youre not too far from the main one which is worth seeing on tithebarn street
Edited by: "themachman" 8th Aug 2017
themachman8 h, 46 m ago

Its a famous sculpture in Liverpool but it caused lots of commotion when …Its a famous sculpture in Liverpool but it caused lots of commotion when it was first made.people saying it was horrible. others saying it was a waste of money, but it's become very iconic and embraced by Liverpool Theres loads of different patterned ones and have become very collectible. you can buy mini ones ( official) from a lot of tourist centres. Youre not too far from the main one which is worth seeing on tithebarn street

Ahh right ok, I don't think it's ugly at all. I think it's quite cute in a massive kind of way lol.. Thanks, I'll definitely be going to have a look at that today. Going to look at museums (which I think have more of those lamabanana sculptures but painted and other touristy places today
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants