Going to Liverpool tomorrow, what should I do?

Found 15th Feb 2010
Going for a university interview at Liverpool Uni and I've never been to Liverpool before. I'm from Yorkshire (Barnsley) and I have a pretty strong accent, should I try and cover it up while in Liverpool? My mum also advises me to put some money in my shoe, is it really that bad?

To anyone who knows Liverpool well, is the area around the uni/ Liverpool Lime Street station bad?

Any help and useful tips would really help me out

Cheers.

40 Comments

Turn 180 degrees and continue walking for several miles?

Original Poster

Oh and I'm not trying to insinuate that Liverpool is bad, Just never been anywhere other than Leeds-Barnsley-Sheffield so it's a new experience for me

Original Poster

DarkKnight;7854142

Turn 180 degrees and continue walking for several miles?

Lol?

wear zip up pockets

Liverpool isnt bad...not the city centre during the day anyway. Used to live there and never got bothered once. My sister goes Liverpool uni doing a maths degree thing and she takes laptop back and to and has never had problems.

Oh and money in your shoes is daft...they'll just rob them :thumbsup:

Don't make eye contact with anyone.

Banned

Albert docks

Shopping isn't too bad in liverpool

About the accent don't be worried. Liverpool is full of students from all over the country, so accents are no problems. Like any other city if your on about people trying to pick pocket, keep an eye on those around you an make sure your pockets cannot be easily dipped into.

Which part of Liverpool Uni have you got to go to?

Original Poster

davidn84;7854167

Liverpool isnt bad...not the city centre during the day anyway. Used to … Liverpool isnt bad...not the city centre during the day anyway. Used to live there and never got bothered once. My sister goes Liverpool uni doing a maths degree thing and she takes laptop back and to and has never had problems.Oh and money in your shoes is daft...they'll just rob them :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help, but now I'm brickin' it, is Lime street the centre?

angelfairee;7854170

Don't make eye contact with anyone.

REALLY?

DLM;7854181

Albert docksShopping isn't too bad in liverpool

I'm there for an interview not to shop :-D:-D

Banned

Lost Symphonies;7854202

I'm there for an interview not to shop :-D:-D

Always time to shop.

It is a city, so it has good and bad

you'll be fine lol, it ain't that bad, or anything like, there are some amazing buildings you should check them out, I could spend all day looking at them. I would be aware of pickpockets just the same as I would in any city centre, been to liverpool many times, with the kids too and never had any trouble or problems. Albert dock worth a look as mentioned before, if you've time to kill take the mersey ferry.

nah its fine. Lime street isnt so much the centre, its the main station but there's still few mins walk to the actual city centre.

We are going to Liverpool also tomorrow and will be there a few days. I have parked my car central city at numerous places no problem. If Liverppool was that bad the place would be empty and it cetainly is not that.

Liverpool is fine!! And im from manchester. Scousers and friendly helpful people.

Original Poster

anthonyt;7854198

About the accent don't be worried. Liverpool is full of students from all … About the accent don't be worried. Liverpool is full of students from all over the country, so accents are no problems. Like any other city if your on about people trying to pick pocket, keep an eye on those around you an make sure your pockets cannot be easily dipped into.Which part of Liverpool Uni have you got to go to?

It says the School of Music area, I've checked Google maps and it says the uni is only a short walk from uni, so I might just taxi over there.

DLM;7854214

Always time to shop.It is a city, so it has good and bad

I suppose, It depends how I feel really :thumbsup:

juiceblaster;7854219

you'll be fine lol, it ain't that bad, or anything like, there are some … you'll be fine lol, it ain't that bad, or anything like, there are some amazing buildings you should check them out, I could spend all day looking at them. I would be aware of pickpockets just the same as I would in any city centre, been to liverpool many times, with the kids too and never had any trouble or problems. Albert dock worth a look as mentioned before, if you've time to kill take the mersey ferry.

Not left much time, maybe half an hour before the interview, I suppose there is always after :-D

davidn84;7854234

nah its fine. Lime street isnt so much the centre, its the main station … nah its fine. Lime street isnt so much the centre, its the main station but there's still few mins walk to the actual city centre.

Thanks for the info :):thumbsup:

bluebindy123;7854235

We are going to Liverpool also tomorrow and will be there a few days. I … We are going to Liverpool also tomorrow and will be there a few days. I have parked my car central city at numerous places no problem. If Liverppool was that bad the place would be empty and it cetainly is not that.

Well yeah I suppose you're right, if there was so much crime then there would be noone wanting to go there.

get ur running shoes on

It's a city FFS, grow a pair and just treat it like any other city. I'm from Liverpool but lived away for many years and spent time in many cities. Just act natural and you will be fine.

If you go looking for trouble you will probably find it but if you just do what you need to do then you will be fine. If you actually get a place and move there then just go along with other students and you will learn the ropes. If you handle it in an open manner you will have a ball - if you are terrified all the time then you need to go somewhere else.

Lost Symphonies;7854312

It says the School of Music area, I've checked Google maps and it says … It says the School of Music area, I've checked Google maps and it says the uni is only a short walk from uni, so I might just taxi over there.

You will be fine you know. Lime Street is right next to John Moores Student halls so plenty of students about. Also the Street that part of the uni is located on is the main area for John Moores and Liverpool Uni. Be about 20mins walk max.

I go to John Moores, just put headphones in and walk, no one will bother you.

Let us all know how you got on, presuming you make it out alive...

This is putting me off our planned shopping trip in a few months time!! Think i'll stick with the metro centre!

Original Poster

Lulu'sMammy;7854506

This is putting me off our planned shopping trip in a few months time!! … This is putting me off our planned shopping trip in a few months time!! Think i'll stick with the metro centre!

Think it's putting me off a 3 year music degree course as well....

Banned

Lulu'sMammy;7854506

This is putting me off our planned shopping trip in a few months time!! … This is putting me off our planned shopping trip in a few months time!! Think i'll stick with the metro centre!

It is great for shopping.

Lost Symphonies;7854548

Think it's putting me off a 3 year music degree course as well....

Where else can you go?

When i was in the Royal navy (reserves) some of the best fun i had (not that kind) was with the scouse guys when on joint deployments,and i'm a jock. lol.
Was down there recently,staying in a travellodge & no hassle at all,even when out buying takeaway late at night in 'less desirable'part of town.:thumbsup:
Good luck with interview & at college.

Original Poster

DLM;7854563

Where else can you go?

Well i can stay where I am now and do the degree course there (Leeds College of Music), or Sheffield but they havn't asked me for an interview yet

Banned

Lost Symphonies;7854577

Well i can stay where I am now and do the degree course there (Leeds … Well i can stay where I am now and do the degree course there (Leeds College of Music), or Sheffield but they havn't asked me for an interview yet

Do you like it at Leeds?

The first thing you should do is get a backbone. Once that is completed try grwoing some balls. Jheeez why are you considering going to a uni in liverpool if you are scared to set foot in the city :roll:

As long as u don't go out looking for trouble then u will be fine. At the end of the day it's a busy city like Manchester, London etc and of course their will be idiots but they are few and far between

Original Poster

DLM;7854582

Do you like it at Leeds?

Love it, it's my 1st option

CFC_Mark;7854593

The first thing you should do is get a backbone. Once that is completed … The first thing you should do is get a backbone. Once that is completed try grwoing some balls. Jheeez why are you considering going to a uni in liverpool if you are scared to set foot in the city :roll:

Well I never said I am too scared to set foot in the city, but when the 1st answer and the resulting answers from more experienced and knowledgeable people is "Turn 180 degrees and continue walking for several miles?", dont YOU think that slightly, ever so slightly, that would put you off going to that particular area?

Not that I think you don't have a valid point, just the facts are completely fabricated and the spelling is off :thumbsup:.

Banned

dude ive lived my life around leeds/bradford/wakefield/sheffield/huddersfield - theres no place like it. so easy going.

ive been to the midlands - poor calibre of people

liverpool is farrr worse

stick to leeds - its great

I'm from Birmingham and love Liverpool great shops etc and go beatles museum at albert docks and also the cavern got live music during the day helps if you like beatles but you will not be disappointed great city enjoy

Banned

DLM;7854582

Do you like it at Leeds?

everyone loves leeds........a high percentage of students always end up staying within the city

CFC_Mark;7854593

The first thing you should do is get a backbone. Once that is completed … The first thing you should do is get a backbone. Once that is completed try grwoing some balls. Jheeez why are you considering going to a uni in liverpool if you are scared to set foot in the city :roll:

i laughed.....17 year old saying this

Banned

Mate, if you think Sheffield is OK, then you'll have no problem in Liverpool!

just go in disguise :whistling:
http://i10.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/20/2f/48ff_12.JPG

Its fine, I live in Liverpool, the city is filled with naive southern fairy students and they survive so u should be fine

Original Poster

Mallinersha;7854442

Let us all know how you got on, presuming you make it out alive...

Just on the train coming back home now, don't like this 2 and a half hour train journey malarkey.

Had no problems with Liverpool itself, its confusing in comparison to where I have been before because it's a completely different city (OBVIOUSLY). Got a taxi to uni and the driver was a dick which didn't put me in the right frame of mind.

The interview itself was okay I suppose, but while at Leeds theres about 300-400 students (rough guess) with about 100 practise rooms, at Liverpool theres about 270 students sharing about 20 practise rooms, plus the university was old, absolutely no competition to Leeds.

Coming back was hard because I decided to go into the centre to have a gander at the shops. Wow; Liverpool is MASSIVE. which meant it was hard to get back to the station (thank you google maps and android mobile phones :thumbsup:)

Then when I got to the station I knocked into the big issue seller outside, with a laugh from me and a barrage of offenses from him as a result.

dont take anything valuable
make sure you wear a stab proof vest
don't stare at locals.

OMG

Is this the calibre of person thats going to university these days...

GROW SOME BALLS THAT MAN

Gutted to have missed this thread..............:x

http://www.funnypictures.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/sign_7565.gif

Banned

Lost Symphonies;7854648

Love it, it's my 1st option

Hope you get to go to leeds then :thumbsup:

Liverpool is a lovely city and liverpudlians are really friendly people. load of rubbish about pickpockets , the television always makes an example of liverpool. my son went to liverpool uni and made some very good friends from the city. enjoy your day.
Post a comment
@
    Text