Groups

Going to New York

I will be in New York this time in 3 weeks.
    Apart from buying a UK > USA travel adapter, would i need a voltage converter? I would need to charge things like my mobile, laptop, camera, ect and also would also need to use my hair straightners.
    As i have never been to the USA before i have no idea!

15 Comments

Have a look at the plugs, power packs etc for your equipment. If they say 110v-230v or 110v-240v then you'll be fine, as the power pack will adapt to the lower voltage out in the states automatically :thumbsup:

Mind and take a normal uk 4 way adapter saves you trying to plug in all your stuff into one socket :thumbsup:
    Oh and wrap up very well indeed

don't forget to let the foreign office know,
    or ya might not be let in.

owlass;4101080

don't forget to let the foreign office know, or ya might not be let in.

Aye think you have to fill in a form online now , is this right?

esq3585;4101160

Aye think you have to fill in a form online now , is this right?

don't know about it being online , i posted mine but that was a few years ago

Banned

hair straighteners and hair clippers sometimes do not work so double check on those kinds of items....
    the rest should be ok....

oohhh, i'm there in 3 weeks too. never had a problem charging stuff with an a plug adapter, never used a voltage one.
    you can fill that new form online, only take 5 mins or so.
    take something warm, it's going to be cold!

owlass;4101212

don't know about it being online , i posted mine but that was a few years … don't know about it being online , i posted mine but that was a few years ago

it's a new system, you have to fill in an online form before you leave

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

Banned

sharon_uk;4101302

it's a new system, you have to fill in an online form before you … it's a new system, you have to fill in an online form before you leavehttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7822794.stm

I didn't have to fill this in? :thinking:

I went for business... would that make it different or did my company take care of it for me?

Only compulsory after January 12th,Before this it was voluntary
    esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

One thing to be wary of is if you (like Me!) need to use GHD's - they don't heat up to full temeperature properly - they do work but not to full capacity.
    Just a warning cos I wish someone had told me!!
    Have a fab time!

Original Poster

Thanks for all your replys. My phone charger says 110v-240v, but my hair straightners only say 240v.

Original Poster

vannus;4102148

Only compulsory after January 12th,Before this it was … Only compulsory after January 12th,Before this it was voluntaryhttps://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

I filled this in a month or so ago. Straight forward, was done in 5 mins.

sharon_uk;4101302

it's a new system, you have to fill in an online form before you … it's a new system, you have to fill in an online form before you leavehttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7822794.stm

:w00t: ....didn't know about it , was trying to wind her up ... doh :oops:

Original Poster

owlass;4104484

:w00t: ....didn't know about it , was trying to wind her up ... doh :oops:

Lol! :-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764206
      2. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio44
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846165
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?31136

See more discussions