Going to New York, what is cheap to buy in comparison to the UK?

Banned 37
Found 4th May 2012
As title says, flying over to New York in the next couple of weeks. Go any ideas on exchange rate bargains I can pick up???

Thanks..

1. Misc
  2. New York
37 Comments

Fast food. oO

Original Poster Banned

PraxxtorCruel

Fast food. oO

Really?
Forgot to mention, I am talking about tech lol.

iPod Touch and much Apple gear
Camera's
clothes too

Its actually cheaper to get on a bus and pay a visit to one of the malls in Outlets. If i remember correctly place i went had all designer stuff, Louis V, Armani, Diesel etc all at half price. Cameras are def cheaper in NY, may have to haggle though. Also certain avenues sell certain things. Much like Tot Crt Road in London

Levi jeans are half price, also converse are quite cheap aswell

Just remember that there is tax to pay on the items

Also I believe there is no sales tax for clothes and shoes under $110, but above that it's an additional 9 percent or thereabouts.

The outlet mentioned is called Woodbury common I think. I went a few years ago. Designer clothes at least 50% off. You get the bus tickets from the sellers in the street and that includes a discount voucher book that you collect at the outlet from customer services.

all apple products. clothes in general. no vat on kids stuff i believe. baby gap etc

Original Poster Banned

Where are these clothes coming from lol?
Appreciate it, but I said tech.

How cheaper are Apple products?

Banned

Hopefully nothing you intend selling here

http://www.hotukdeals.com/for-sale-trade/dell-xps-m1330-13-laptop-red-4gb-ram-250gb-fingerprint-scanner-more-1200062

Original Poster Banned

dimebars

Hopefully nothing you intend selling hereBan-Hammer

What has that got to do with anything?
Boring Friday night eh? Haha

Banned

cejiogu1

What has that got to do with anything?Boring Friday night eh? Haha

You're banned from trading. And rightly so having read the threads

Banned

clothing - branded

Banned

aeropostale
a&f
hollister
etc.

Original Poster Banned

dimebars

You're banned from trading. And rightly so having read the threads

Ok 'Mod' lol, I really appreciate your opinion.
Do you have anything meaningful to actually say? Or are you just going to run your mouth on events you know nothing about?

Oh and FYI, I was in trouble because of listing elsewhere at the same time. Shoot me

Edited by: "cejiogu1" 4th May 2012

Original Poster Banned

cejiogu1

Where are these clothes coming from lol?Appreciate it, but I said … Where are these clothes coming from lol?Appreciate it, but I said tech.How cheaper are Apple products?

faiz123

clothing - branded

Title reads "Going to new york, what is cheaper in comparison to the UK. If you wanted to know about apple, mention it in OP, or an idea may have been to check USA apple site (_;)

Original Poster Banned

narcist

Title reads "Going to new york, what is cheaper in comparison to the UK. … Title reads "Going to new york, what is cheaper in comparison to the UK. If you wanted to know about apple, mention it in OP, or an idea may have been to check USA apple site (_;)

Funny that, I am not just talking about Apple products, hence my mention of tech.

Original Poster Banned

realblender

careful of small independent electronics shops. Some real hard sell in … careful of small independent electronics shops. Some real hard sell in them

What you mean mate?

cejiogu1

Funny that, I am not just talking about Apple products, hence my mention … Funny that, I am not just talking about Apple products, hence my mention of tech.

Funny that, doesn't say tech in the op either. Spammed

Kindles are cheaper in US.

Skylanders. Get hold of the ones that aren't out here yet, Warnado, Wham Shell, Camo, a few others - you'll make a fortune on ebay.

Original Poster Banned

cejiogu1

Where are these clothes coming from lol?Appreciate it, but I said … Where are these clothes coming from lol?Appreciate it, but I said tech.How cheaper are Apple products?

cejiogu1

Really?Forgot to mention, I am talking about tech lol.

narcist

Funny that, doesn't say tech in the op either. Spammed

Okay...

Original Poster Banned

panddda

Skylanders. Get hold of the ones that aren't out here yet, Warnado, Wham … Skylanders. Get hold of the ones that aren't out here yet, Warnado, Wham Shell, Camo, a few others - you'll make a fortune on ebay.

Will have a look at that mate. Thanks.

sickly sweet

Kindles are cheaper in US.

Thanks sickly sweet, forgot about them.
From what I remember, our prices in pounds are what they pay in dollars.

when are you going? as im flying out from manchester on the 2nd of june for 8days

also ive been told if you save all your receipts, you can claim some tax back or something and if you show your passport you get 10% off for visiting the country
also if you buy clothes then take the tags off then they wont be able to say you bought from there so you wont have to pay for tax

so ive been told

Customs know what goes on, just don't take the piff init.

For apple products, visit the apple us store, do the same for others. Like amazon us etc.

get the bus from penn station to woodbury common, huge outlet centre, ralph lauren, tommy, burberry, gucci, dior, timberland, all the high end brands that are already cheaper than the uk, but have a look in the sale sections, picked up timberland camel boots for $30 all the family got timberland bit that christmas, lol. not so sure on electrical stuff though, have fun

Banned

cejiogu1

Ok 'Mod' lol, I really appreciate your opinion.Do you have anything … Ok 'Mod' lol, I really appreciate your opinion.Do you have anything meaningful to actually say? Or are you just going to run your mouth on events you know nothing about?Oh and FYI, I was in trouble because of listing elsewhere at the same time. Shoot me

Mental note. Do not trade with this member

Once you've factored in the cost of flights and the hassle of getting over there, it's cheaper to buy the stuff you want over here.

Original Poster Banned

mr.potato_head

Once you've factored in the cost of flights and the hassle of getting … Once you've factored in the cost of flights and the hassle of getting over there, it's cheaper to buy the stuff you want over here.

I am not going their specifically to buy things, going away on business.

Original Poster Banned

dimebars

Mental note. Do not trade with this member

Wow really? Strange thing is, I have more positive trading feedback than you? Hmmmm.
Mental note: Get a life.

GandalfNeedsARazor

Also I believe there is no sales tax for clothes and shoes under $110, … Also I believe there is no sales tax for clothes and shoes under $110, but above that it's an additional 9 percent or thereabouts.

there is no sales tax on anything if you show you are a visitor

if you buy a camera iPad etc and are intending keeping it not trying to sell on for a profit just bin the boxes and say you bought them with you

Original Poster Banned

mini0ne

there is no sales tax on anything if you show you are a visitor :)if you … there is no sales tax on anything if you show you are a visitor :)if you buy a camera iPad etc and are intending keeping it not trying to sell on for a profit just bin the boxes and say you bought them with you

Thanks for that.
Is it likely being stopped by customs on the way back from New York? I thought it was just a case of selecting 1 out of many.

cejiogu1

Thanks for that. Is it likely being stopped by customs on the way back … Thanks for that. Is it likely being stopped by customs on the way back from New York? I thought it was just a case of selecting 1 out of many.

I'm the wrong person to ask mate I've never been abroad let alone new york

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions