going to us, need mobile phone advice!

4 replies
Found 18th Jun 2009
I'm going to the States in August for a week or two, and I'll need a mobile phone to call people both in the US and back home. What would be the best way of going about this?
Are there any UK sim cards that will let me call cheaply within the US? or will I have to buy a new phone when I get there?

Thanks!

4 Comments

Pick up a virgin payg phone in walmart for $20 and use that for USA calls. Prepaid calling cards are usually the best for calling to the UK and you can use the Virgin phone for that too, it will only use your USA minutes and of course the minutes from your calling card.

There are so many available and usually for sale at the airport when you arrive

You need to get a quad band phone

tri-band will also do as far as I am aware

I went to Radioshack, bought a phone for $15 and $25 of credit. I haven't a clue the charges per minute etc but I made phone calls more or less every day and several texts per day for a month and I topped up once with $10. But it did charge me for incoming texts and calls answered to (which is kinda common in the states).

if you have access to the internet you can call the uk really cheaply using yahoo or msn.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Spotify family22
    2. Gala Bingo/Games. Deposit £5 get £40 cashback. Quidco - new Gala members11
    3. Has the amount of Apple fanboys increased on the site after the redesign?11
    4. Urgent help needed with travel agent56

See more discussions