Going to view a cottage tonight! Any good questions?

23 replies
Found 26th May 2009
Pretty much what the title says, me and the boyf are going to look at this cutest cottage and seeing as I already love it I'm worried I'm going to forget all the good questions!
so far i have: am i allowed a cat? (v.important!)
what tax band?
is there parking?
is central heating gas?
latest move in date?
Can you think of any more sensible ones?
This is the cottage: portsmouth.gumtree.com/por…tml Soo cute!
Forgot to say, renting not buying!!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
23 Comments

what a gorgeous cottage. Snap it up before someone else does x x

hmmm not cottage related but ask about things that are local like parks, ect? dunno?

Pets are often a no-no for owners who rent. Tread carefully if the place is in demand. I have both rented off others and to others. In all cases, no pets was written into the contracts.

Original Poster

Thanks hun, I love the look of it, just hope it is as lovely in real life!!

ClarityofMind;5321588

what a gorgeous cottage. Snap it up before someone else does x x

Original Poster

Cheers for the advice, I'll be careful with how I broach the subject. As it stands we don't have the cat YET but we're hoping to get one so if they said no I wouldn't know what to do!

Liddle ol' me;5321632

Pets are often a no-no for owners who rent. Tread carefully if the place … Pets are often a no-no for owners who rent. Tread carefully if the place is in demand. I have both rented off others and to others. In all cases, no pets was written into the contracts.

Banned

yeah any rough neighbours ..
and if they don't like cats tell em to stick it

torapoole;5321661

Thanks hun, I love the look of it, just hope it is as lovely in real … Thanks hun, I love the look of it, just hope it is as lovely in real life!!

I'd so go for something like that myself sweetie, loads of character and at 550 a good price x x

Original Poster

Haha, unfortunately it's Portsmouth, rough neighbours a plenty!!!

dog_cop;5321676

yeah any rough neighbours ..and if they don't like cats tell em to stick … yeah any rough neighbours ..and if they don't like cats tell em to stick it

Banned

torapoole;5321704

Haha, unfortunately it's Portsmouth, rough neighbours a plenty!!!

ewwwwwww.. a no no then I hated living in Pompey .. dump :thumbsup:

What about double glazing?

I'm renting a flat with my girlfriend atm and we have a problem with mold in the corner of the bedroom >_>

Original Poster

True, but it's all we can afford atm I'd like to move back to Chichester but wouldn't be do-able with the commute money added in! STILL, not a bad little place for somewhere in Pompey I think, that's why I'm so excited!

dog_cop;5321720

ewwwwwww.. a no no then I hated living in Pompey .. dump :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Good one, thanks!! :thumbsup:

rwm24;5321751

What about double glazing?I'm renting a flat with my girlfriend atm and … What about double glazing?I'm renting a flat with my girlfriend atm and we have a problem with mold in the corner of the bedroom >_>

Banned

torapoole;5321810

True, but it's all we can afford atm I'd like to move back to … True, but it's all we can afford atm I'd like to move back to Chichester but wouldn't be do-able with the commute money added in! STILL, not a bad little place for somewhere in Pompey I think, that's why I'm so excited!

but if you cant have your cat.. no point in getting excited

Original Poster

I know, I'm trying to contain myself but I'm rubbish once I get excited about something, and as my flatmate's told me, it's unlikely I'll get furnished AND pet-friendly.
The viewing is at 7 though so I will let you all know how we get on. I may be feeling sad if I love it and no pets allowed!! Also my boyfriend doesn't know I've booked the viewing and I can't get hold of him at work so I might be sad AND in trouble with him!! Fingers crossed though eh!

dog_cop;5321823

Original Poster

PS, you sound like the voice of reason just like my boyfriend!

dog_cop;5321823

Banned

torapoole;5321871

PS, you sound like the voice of reason just like my boyfriend!

cats are a very serious business:thumbsup:

Any damp?
Rules on redecoration.
How are utilities paid for - metered water? Sewerage charges? Electricity supply?
Any shared facilities - like garden , parking spaces?
Need to be clear on any fees and the reasons that they might dock your deposit. What's the system they have in place for repairs?

Original Poster

This is true, I like your thinking!

dog_cop;5321878

cats are a very serious business:thumbsup:

All helpful and noted, thankyou!

chesso;5321911

Any damp?Rules on redecoration.How are utilities paid for - metered … Any damp?Rules on redecoration.How are utilities paid for - metered water? Sewerage charges? Electricity supply?Any shared facilities - like garden , parking spaces?Need to be clear on any fees and the reasons that they might dock your deposit. What's the system they have in place for repairs?

just casually ask about pets. don't mention your cat. your landlard will never know you have got one anyway, just hid the food bowl when/if they come to fix or inspect.

You need to know how much the deposit and ALL the fees are to start off with and how long the contract is?
It will probably be a years contract but if it hasn't got 1 already, insist on a 6 month get out clause.
It may look lovely, be a good price and exactly what ur after but u don't wanna move in n then find out for example, uve got the neighbours from hell and be tied into a contract for a whole year!

Visit the area later on at night before agreeing to let, you might spot any unruly neighbours who love to play there music loud! If it is currently let out go back and talk to the tenants without the landlord (why are they moving etc, any break ins) You could always talk to the neighbours if property has no tenants.

If it has Gas, make sure it has its gas safety certificate, should be done yearly.

It might be a cute little cottage but you must look for things like mould in all rooms, rotting window sills, draughts, leaking, open up cupboards & windows - have a good rummage around!

If you're putting down a deposit it must be held in a deposit protection scheme, find out which one.

check there are no restrictions on the property, not just listing, but english heritage, restrictive covenants anything like that. They can be a real nightmare, trust me I found out the hard way...! Took me a year and a half to get sky and that is on a 20ft pole in the garden :x

Original Poster

Hi everyone, just an update- we viewed the cottage and it was LOVELY- we're allowed a kitten, and have put the deposit down. Move in on the 15th!! Thanks for all your advice/comments xxx
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition69762
    2. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…66
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines54
    4. Win 1 of 30 Gin Festival, Eastbourne Pairs of Tickets (Value £30 per pair)11

See more discussions