Groups

Going via cashback sites show higher prices?

Hi all

I just had a look on Lastminute.com for flights to Cyprus and was quote £315.17. So I thought let me go via Topcashback however for the exact same flights and time I was quote £323.52 with 2.2% cashback!!

Hardly worth the hassle going via cashback site

17 Comments

Noticed similar a few times with insurance-related merchants.

hmmm, I'm puzzled how they benefit from paying cashbacks

What I tend to do is shop for the best prices (without going through quidco), get my insurance quotes, etc. Then search on quidco for the merchant and go through that way.

Most of the time the transaction registers and I get a good price

Original Poster

This is the first time I noticed this and makes me wonder if I should be checking prices without going through cashback sites. Seems useless if this is a common practice

If you use a different device (or PC), &/or a different web browser, do you find the prices also change?

AndyRoyd

Noticed similar a few times with insurance-related merchants.

I noticed this too with my car insurance, compare the market was considerably cheaper with Hastings than via cashback quote (_;)

fanpages

If you use a different device (or PC), &/or a different web browser, do … If you use a different device (or PC), &/or a different web browser, do you find the prices also change?

Not been aware of any difference in those scenarios.

sussie0509

hmmm, I'm puzzled how they benefit from paying cashbacks

Referrer is paid additional incentives from the affilliate based on traffic volume, outside of the individual cashback amounts.

fanpages

If you use a different device (or PC), &/or a different web browser, do … If you use a different device (or PC), &/or a different web browser, do you find the prices also change?

AndyRoyd

For your information:

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…081 ]

fanpages

AndyRoyd

Not relevant. The example you quote is manipulation via traffic level (click-throughs / page hits), not device type.

Banned

they do need to pay tcb so its comman sense to try comparing with and without but this didn't happen to me on booking.com.
    keep your eyes peeled

Original Poster

fanpages

That's exactly what I did. I opened it in two browsers just in case it was tracking my history and there was the price difference.

Yes, going through Topcashback does (and more so recently) occasionally increase your purchase price over going directly to a website.
    If you succeed (IF !!!) with the CashBack then the price comes down to the direct website price mostly (yes, I know...why bother risking it going through TCB in the first place). It's a gamble...always double check!

fanpages

If you use a different device (or PC), &/or a different web browser, … If you use a different device (or PC), &/or a different web browser, do you find the prices also change?

AndyRoyd

fanpages

For your information:[ … For your information:[ http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/amazon-co-uk-just-crafty-s-grrr-2485081 ]

AndyRoyd

Not relevant. The example you quote is manipulation via traffic level … Not relevant. The example you quote is manipulation via traffic level (click-throughs / page hits), not device type.

Please read the thread I quoted again.

fanpages

If you use a different device (or PC), &/or a different web browser, … If you use a different device (or PC), &/or a different web browser, do you find the prices also change?

AndyRoyd

fanpages

For your information:[ … For your information:[ http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/amazon-co-uk-just-crafty-s-grrr-2485081 ]

AndyRoyd

Not relevant. The example you quote is manipulation via traffic level … Not relevant. The example you quote is manipulation via traffic level (click-throughs / page hits), not device type.

No need.

fanpages

Please read the thread I quoted again.

AndyRoyd

No need.

Your loss/misunderstanding of the point, then.

OK, we'll move on.

I noticed a while back that its often dearer going through TCB. I was looking for car insurance and then a couple of months later, house insurance. Worked out much cheaper not going through TCB. I always check now, I just purchased a sim only deal and that was worth going through TCB.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Help please - pc issues719
      2. GP Vaccinations: telling patient they are out of stock and go private33
      3. Turning off Best Offer on Ebay Buy It Now listings.22
      4. Apple watch34

See more discussions