Golf vs Scirroco ??

Found 4th Aug 2017
Hi everyone.

Trying to pick a new car and debating between the practically of a golf (either mk6 or mk7) and the style of a scirroco.

Then to make it more confusing unsure which is the best engine to get out of the

1.4 petrol
1.6 diesel
2.0 diesel

I expect to cover approx 12k-15k miles a year mostly motorway miles.

Any advice from owners of them?

Thanks!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
22 Comments

Not sure of the ages you're looking at, but I've had both in the last 24 months.....2 golfs in fact.....I hated the scirocco compared to the Golf. Cramped, much less comfortable, no faster and in the one I had, the Media System used to crash and restart constantly, even though it was supposedly the same as the Golf one, which never crashed. I've had 1.6 and 2.0 diesels and up to 40/50mph you won't notice a difference between them but with mostly motorway miles I'd edge towards the 2.0.
I had the Scirocco for about 2 months. I've had a Golf on 2 occasions for about a month each time, so not a lot of experience to base my opinion on, but there you go - just something to think about.

I had a 2.0 litre (petrol) Audi TT and was sick of the crap MPG, high insurance and road tax. I was really tempted by the Scirroco BUT just couldn't justify the high used prices and once again, the high insurance/tax.
So I opted for a newer 1.4 (mk 7) Golf.

The insurance is almost the same as the TT but the MPG is brilliant (almost 500 miles per tank) and the road tax is £100.

I still miss the looks of the TT and the power of the engine but practicality became the major issue for me.

It all comes down to your own personal preferences really.

Hope this helps

I just dont like the golf it just looks dated and boring to me, i have got a scirocco just a base 1.4, 160 bhp petrol but it still looks stunning only had it for a month so its too early to say regards to problems
Edited by: "ding" 4th Aug 2017

Depends what you want from the car really - I've had a few Golfs, but have always liked the looks of the Scirocco but it's not practical for me. If you're doing mainly motorway miles the 2 litre diesel will be great - on purely motorway runs I'll see 600 miles out of a tank no problem in mine (Mk7). Town driving it's a different matter - a bit thirsty which has me wishing I'd gone for the 1.6. Face lift Mk 7.5 Golf is out now as well so Mk7 prices might be a tad cheaper. Have a drive in all of them if poss and then go for the one that ticks the boxes for you.

I'm not sure I'd buy a sirocco for style, if that's what you want then why not something like an RCZ?

How many seats and doors do you want? That should be the only answers you need to decide as they're basically the same car

Save yourself some wonga and get yourself a Skoda Octavia.

My personal opinion is golf over scirccoco every time. I drive an ed 30 golf. Took a scirocco on a test drive and found it cramped with poor rear visability and road holding lacking. Also rather slow in comparison and only 3 doors.

Read up on the 1.4TSI engine before you buy one!

Original Poster

Thanks guys

for the scirroco i can only pick the 1.4 122bhp

and for the golf its mk6 2.0 or 1.6 or mk7 1.6 or 2.0

Will have passengers sometimes but mostly just front two seats.

currently have a 208 1.2 approx 80 bhp so really bad on the motorway for power

Wadda1 h, 50 m ago

I`ve got one, what are referring to .
Love mine, its the 170 bhp 1.4 tsi automatic and it`s a pleasure to drive.

snoopy182 h, 2 m ago

I`ve got one, what are referring to .Love mine, its the 170 bhp 1.4 tsi …I`ve got one, what are referring to .Love mine, its the 170 bhp 1.4 tsi automatic and it`s a pleasure to drive.

Plenty of horror story's about them

It might John st be me but the sirocco always reminds me of the poo emoji

Original Poster

Have narrowed it down now to

1.4 scirroco 122bhp
1.6 mk6 golf 110bhp
1.6 mk7 golf 110bhp

Im getting there.

Original Poster

999kernow5 h, 21 m ago

My personal opinion is golf over scirccoco every time. I drive an ed 30 …My personal opinion is golf over scirccoco every time. I drive an ed 30 golf. Took a scirocco on a test drive and found it cramped with poor rear visability and road holding lacking. Also rather slow in comparison and only 3 doors.

Thank for that.

I don't really like that the rear passengers won't have any leg room if i get the sirocco. Might have to go any test drive them all.

Btw which model golf did you get and how are you finding it?
Edited by: "hasnainthehotdeal" 4th Aug 2017

Original Poster

Wadda4 h, 58 m ago

Hi have looked into it do you rate the 1.6 diesels as much better?

Have seen for the 1.6 the egr valve problems are also common.

Original Poster

shaundead11 h, 57 m ago

Not sure of the ages you're looking at, but I've had both in the last 24 …Not sure of the ages you're looking at, but I've had both in the last 24 months.....2 golfs in fact.....I hated the scirocco compared to the Golf. Cramped, much less comfortable, no faster and in the one I had, the Media System used to crash and restart constantly, even though it was supposedly the same as the Golf one, which never crashed. I've had 1.6 and 2.0 diesels and up to 40/50mph you won't notice a difference between them but with mostly motorway miles I'd edge towards the 2.0.I had the Scirocco for about 2 months. I've had a Golf on 2 occasions for about a month each time, so not a lot of experience to base my opinion on, but there you go - just something to think about.

Hi mate how did you find the 1.6 on the motorway. Edging towards it as my route usually consists of being stuck in traffic for 30 minutes. Not really much space to use the 2.0 . Did you notice any difference in mpg between the two? Thanks.

I was torn between the scirocco or the astra gtc sri, i could of got a gtc astra 4 years newer for the same price with a better spec than what i paid for the scirocco but glad i went for the scirocco

Wadda12 h, 40 m ago

Plenty of horror story's about them

Errr ok

hasnainthehotdeal18 h, 40 m ago

Thanks guys for the scirroco i can only pick the 1.4 122bhpand for the …Thanks guys for the scirroco i can only pick the 1.4 122bhpand for the golf its mk6 2.0 or 1.6 or mk7 1.6 or 2.0Will have passengers sometimes but mostly just front two seats.currently have a 208 1.2 approx 80 bhp so really bad on the motorway for power

Do you mean the revs it sits at while cruising or it's 50-70 acceleration?

Original Poster

EndlessWaves53 m ago

Do you mean the revs it sits at while cruising or it's 50-70 acceleration?

Both. Takes ages to get up to 70 aswell. Then if I have to drop my speed takes forever getting back up.

I have a mk5 gti ed 30 so 230 up. Only 32 mpg combined but fast . Really roomy inside and great boot space. Just had it mapped so even faster. Good solid car even if you go for basic mk5 you won't be dissapionted
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants