Gonna build a computer :)

Banned 21 replies
Found 21st Mar 2007
hi all. i think im gonna build a computer, just as a little hobby, v low spec, just to see how it works out. if i get it right, im gonna build myself a V high spec 1. is it difficult??? is there any "manuals" that give step by step on how to do it??? not looking to spend more than 100 first time rnd......also, what would i need??

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
22 Comments

A miracle for a hundred or be very good at shop lifting
there are plenty of sites on the web that will help you and even the local library. With my first I used an originally titled "Build your own PC"
The one think to remember is it is actually just assembling components . You buy motherboard ,CPU, hard drive and ram. Assemble them put them in case, add power and a operating system you should be up and running. try ]http//ww…tml or ]http//ww…uk/ and another ]http//ww…f=2

Jase,
I have some old computer bits that may help you on your way if you are interested(mobo,cpu,psu and graphics cards)

Haven't thought about price for 'em yet,it is socket A stuff,so all you would need to source then is some ram and a case.

Let me know if your interested.:)

It's hardly "a miracle for 100", I've built a computer for £18 before by getting my hands on components that were heading for the bin. It's still in use.

Original Poster Banned

muckypup

Jase,I have some old computer bits that may help you on your way if you … Jase,I have some old computer bits that may help you on your way if you are interested(mobo,cpu,psu and graphics cards)Haven't thought about price for 'em yet,it is socket A stuff,so all you would need to source then is some ram and a case.Let me know if your interested.:)

lol im very new to this thing as its my 1st time, so im not really sure about everything i need and how to put it together, but the wierd thing is, i have a case and 256 of ram already so yup im interested

£100 will be not problem, the only problem you will have is getting a legit copy of Windows in that budget.

Of course you will be sourcing all items second hand for that sort of cash. I would advise you to pop over to avforums avforums.com/for…243 and buy second hand stuff as cheap as possible. Always haggle with the sellers as the price they put is normally just a starting point so they always drop down quite a bit.

Here is waht you should expect and at what price range:

Socket 939 Sempron and motherboard about £45
256mb DDR ram about £10
80gb hard drive about £20
case and built in cheap PSU about £20
crt monitor you can get for free, just advertise for one on Freecycle.com and you will get one.
If the motherboard does not have onbaord graphics then a cheap card just to boot up, about £5.
If you need some extra cables then again just advertise on Freecycle and you will probably get an offer.

There is your £100 mate. Oh and you will probably need a kettle lead to power it up.

EDIT:
Flipping heck you lot, there was only one reply before 10-o-clock, as I finished typing this there were loads. You were all just waiting for me weren't you!!!!!

muckypup

Haven't thought about price for 'em yet.....Let me know if your … Haven't thought about price for 'em yet.....Let me know if your interested.:)

The warning sirens are screaming already......

Original Poster Banned

lol guys, i have windows, mouse, keyboard, monitor, case, ram and loads of kettle leads, just the internal stuff i need

Original Poster Banned

CHARLIETHIRTYTWO

lol y

Oh and Jase, finally got your DVD sent today, I left it in my mates car last week and he only just brought it back this morning.

jase159

lol im very new to this thing as its my 1st time, so im not really sure … lol im very new to this thing as its my 1st time, so im not really sure about everything i need and how to put it together, but the wierd thing is, i have a case and 256 of ram already so yup im interested

Well,the cpu is already fixed to the mobo,it's a gigabyte board with onboard sound so you don't need a sound card...you may wish to add one though.
cpu is amd athlon xp2000,the psu is a 300w antec,and the graphics card is a radeon 9550.

I had all this gubbins in my pc a couple of weeks ago,just upgraded and it was working fine.......with 1gb of ram I could play a few games like sims 2 no problems,but it would struggle with demanding fps type games I should imagine.

I shall have a think on price and get back to you if that is ok.

Is your ram DDR? if so that should be fine,though you may want to add another stick,I think the mobo has 4 memory slots but will double check.

Doh!! of course you will need a hard drive.....forgot that bit!!

CHARLIETHIRTYTWO

Discount for new customers:whistling:

CHARLIETHIRTYTWO

:?

Original Poster Banned

beerman1

Oh and Jase, finally got your DVD sent today, I left it in my mates car … Oh and Jase, finally got your DVD sent today, I left it in my mates car last week and he only just brought it back this morning.

lol i 4got about tht, have you had the game yet???

Original Poster Banned

muckypup

Well,the cpu is already fixed to the mobo,it's a gigabyte board with … Well,the cpu is already fixed to the mobo,it's a gigabyte board with onboard sound so you don't need a sound card...you may wish to add one though.cpu is amd athlon xp2000,the psu is a 300w antec,and the graphics card is a radeon 9550.I had all this gubbins in my pc a couple of weeks ago,just upgraded and it was working fine.......with 1gb of ram I could play a few games like sims 2 no problems,but it would struggle with demanding fps type games I should imagine.I shall have a think on price and get back to you if that is ok.Is your ram DDR? if so that should be fine,though you may want to add another stick,I think the mobo has 4 memory slots but will double check.Doh!! of course you will need a hard drive.....forgot that bit!!

lol its just a p[roject for me, so performance doesnt bother me. yea rams ddr, adn hard drive wnt b a prob, il jus buy 1 seperate

duckmagicuk2

:?

I have somewhat of a reputation:whistling:

Some believe me to be a woman of dubious virtue:-D

Yeah mate got it in good time, cheers.

Original Poster Banned

beerman1

Yeah mate got it in good time, cheers.

klkl, if u have time, could you leave feedback??

Erm, how do I leave feedback? I can't find a link.

Forget it I just seen your sig.

beerman1

Erm, how do I leave feedback? I can't find a link.

I found out last week that if someone has already left feedback for that thread it disappears from the drop down menu.....you are talking about FS/FT forum?......if not ignore me!!

muckypup

I have somewhat of a reputation:whistling: Some believe me to be a woman … I have somewhat of a reputation:whistling: Some believe me to be a woman of dubious virtue:-D

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/8822/124207j0pxx8qyluyd0.gif...........http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9825/amazing20but20true20webbk8.jpg

muckypup

I have somewhat of a reputation:whistling: Some believe me to be a woman … I have somewhat of a reputation:whistling: Some believe me to be a woman of dubious virtue:-D

I find that very hard to believe. (so same time and place next week Mucky;-))

Before you start building read post 3 on ]this thread
don't forget stuff like discharging static and or wearing class 100 gloves if you have them available.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3285
    2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226646
    3. Highway code and use of indicators (or lack thereof)4176
    4. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?993251

See more discussions