Good 1060/1070 Laptop

Found 23rd Jun 2017
Hi Guys

I wonder if I could get your help with finding a laptop
Im currently running a XPS sandbridge i7 with 1tb hd and a pretty old GPU. Now that ive sold my PS4 and want to get back into laptop gaming, im looking to upgrade and have been pretty loyal to dell with my previous purchases but after a bit of research, it seems that they only have 1060/1070 GPU's in alienware.
I'd prefer a XPS but their gaming range only seems to have 1050ti's which i think might struggle a bit with future games and i generally play wildlands and witcher so im looking for a 1060 or 1070 (ideally)
Can anyone recommend a good laptop ??
I've been looking at the acer predator because the thermals are a bit better then the alienware, particularly with the frost cd fan thing?

Ideally I'd want a i7, min of 8gb ram and a small ssd/m.2 with mechanical hd as well.

Thanks in advance!
Oh and im a student too thanks to hukd so i think i can take advantage of the dell student discount but i cant seem to find a similar deal for acer predator. Looking for the best / most affordable and ideally a 1070.
The screen doesnt have to be 4k but IPS certainly
Community Updates
AskLaptopGTX 1070GTX 1060
12 Comments
What's your budget? Preferred display size?
ElGofre

What's your budget? Preferred display size?

ah sorry, i forgot to say
15 inch
budget - as cheap as possible for a new machine. I get a little worried with dell outlet because of the issues im having now with overclocking and thermals. I've pasted mine twice and still having overheating problems.

I think thats why i was perhaps considering the predator, but i find the bezel on the screen of both the alienware and predator.... horrid! The xps infinity display looks much nicer - but i dont think i can find any 1070 setups in a case like that due to the thermals.
havent had experience with MSI but a friend told me to avoid because of their customer services (anecdotal evidence at its best)
Edited by: "dasachmo" 23rd Jun 2017
dasachmo

ah sorry, i forgot to say15 inchbudget - as cheap as possible for a new … ah sorry, i forgot to say15 inchbudget - as cheap as possible for a new machine. I get a little worried with dell outlet because of the issues im having now with overclocking and thermals. I've pasted mine twice and still having overheating problems. I think thats why i was perhaps considering the predator, but i find the bezel on the screen of both the alienware and predator.... horrid! The xps infinity display looks much nicer - but i dont think i can find any 1070 setups in a case like that due to the thermals.havent had experience with MSI but a friend told me to avoid because of their customer services (anecdotal evidence at its best)

This Asus machine is the cheapest laptop I can find that meets your criteria.
saveonlaptops.co.uk/GL7…tml
dasachmo

ah sorry, i forgot to say15 inchbudget - as cheap as possible for a new … ah sorry, i forgot to say15 inchbudget - as cheap as possible for a new machine. I get a little worried with dell outlet because of the issues im having now with overclocking and thermals. I've pasted mine twice and still having overheating problems. I think thats why i was perhaps considering the predator, but i find the bezel on the screen of both the alienware and predator.... horrid! The xps infinity display looks much nicer - but i dont think i can find any 1070 setups in a case like that due to the thermals.havent had experience with MSI but a friend told me to avoid because of their customer services (anecdotal evidence at its best)

​I have the MSI Apache Pro GE62VR 15.6" Very good laptop. 16gb ram, 1tb HDD and 128gb SSD, Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ processor, GTX 1060 6gb
I believe it's currently £1399 on Curry's. Had mine almost a year and I can run any game at max and run a VR headset.
Bear in mind that nVidia adjusted all their naming up one tier for this generation, so for 1050ti think 965M etc. and for 1060 think 970M etc.
do you know if you have a thunderbolt port on your XPS? since you have a sandybridge CPU, I doubt the case.
The reason I asked is that you can get a eGPU box like the Gigabyte Aorus gamebox which comes with a 1070, but if you are looking for a new laptop, I guess you just want a 1060/1070 laptop. Beat in mind that you can upgrade the gfx card with a eGPU box, but you lose the portability.
EDEN188

do you know if you have a thunderbolt port on your XPS? since you have a … do you know if you have a thunderbolt port on your XPS? since you have a sandybridge CPU, I doubt the case.The reason I asked is that you can get a eGPU box like the Gigabyte Aorus gamebox which comes with a 1070, but if you are looking for a new laptop, I guess you just want a 1060/1070 laptop. Beat in mind that you can upgrade the gfx card with a eGPU box, but you lose the portability.

That was an option actually... If I buy a new xps, but will the motherboard / cpu be compatible and able to deal with a 1070 through thunderbolt.?

Just played a bit of warframe. Had to use laptop cooling pad and all settings on low... And that's after artic mx my laptop last week so I think it's time for a new one.
I checked out that msi... But leaning towards acer predator or alienware.
The predator helios looks good but can't find it in UK.
Maybe I should wait for a Dell deal?
I got my current xps from Dell from a link on here! Lots of codes were staking but don't seem to see that anymore... More the outlet stuff
I bought my 9560 from the outlet using a code, it does have thunderbolt port, however, it has been confirmed to only have 2 PCI-e lanes instead of 4, it will still be ok, but quite a bit performance lost if playing using your laptop screen.
eGPU performance is about 10-15% less performance than a desktop.
Dell is currently looking at their laptops to be 'certified' with (can't remember which) thunderbolt or eGPU compliance. i can't find another 15" as good as the 9560 for now, hence I got one, but will likely to get a eGPU box later, I only play occasionally gaming.
Dell outlet. Esp when they have random 10,15 or 20% vouchers. Check daily after 3 ish for alienware laptops.
ElGofre

This Asus machine is the cheapest laptop I can find that meets your … This Asus machine is the cheapest laptop I can find that meets your criteria. https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/GL702VM-GC003T-ASUS-ROG-Strix-GL702VM-GC003T_2008249.html

This is also the laptop I'm probably going to buy. It's easily the best for the price.
EDEN188

I bought my 9560 from the outlet using a code, it does have thunderbolt … I bought my 9560 from the outlet using a code, it does have thunderbolt port, however, it has been confirmed to only have 2 PCI-e lanes instead of 4, it will still be ok, but quite a bit performance lost if playing using your laptop screen.eGPU performance is about 10-15% less performance than a desktop.Dell is currently looking at their laptops to be 'certified' with (can't remember which) thunderbolt or eGPU compliance. i can't find another 15" as good as the 9560 for now, hence I got one, but will likely to get a eGPU box later, I only play occasionally gaming.

What graphics card does that have?
Can I just ask about the Dell outlet.
Are they all second hand.... And what's the difference between scratch and dent vs refurbished.
I read some are literally new... But some can be used for like a year. Considering alienware now because YouTube reviews show a 1050ti struggles with games at 1080p above medium which is worrying.
Could do a egpu and stick with a xps which looks amazing with that infinity display!
dasachmo26th Jun

What graphics card does that have? Can I just ask about the Dell outlet. …What graphics card does that have? Can I just ask about the Dell outlet. Are they all second hand.... And what's the difference between scratch and dent vs refurbished. I read some are literally new... But some can be used for like a year. Considering alienware now because YouTube reviews show a 1050ti struggles with games at 1080p above medium which is worrying. Could do a egpu and stick with a xps which looks amazing with that infinity display!

Sorry for late reply, only just saw this. My 9560 arrived in the usual gray box, well packaged and the laptop is as good as new.

This one has the 1050 GPU as well as the integrated GPU, so light gaming is possible.

Afaik about scratch and dented Vs refurbished is no different, as I have bought other Dell outlet laptops, almost all were refurbished, I have had a couple came slightly dented, which I was not pleased and they did replace.

I would definitely consider buying the egpu box, likely the Gigabyte Aorus game box as that comes with a 1070 built in. It's the mini size GPU card, so unlikely to be easily upgradable, but I don't game seriously.

A bit of bad news with my 9560 though, been having quite a few bsod, about 7 in 1 month of ownership, contacted Dell and they are due to replace pretty much the whole gut!! Have googled and seems like others have had issues with theirs also, so you may want to do a bit of research about this particular model.

However, I can't think of another laptop as good as this, so hope they will get my problem sorted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions