Good Budget MP3 player or a cheap phone as an MP3 Player?

Posted 21st Jan 2023
Hi all,

I still have the old aux cable in the car, and was looking to get a good MP3 player, hopefully in future use on a wireless speaker too via Bluetooth.

There seems to be a lot of unknown brands that don't look durable, and the better brands seem a little over priced. I wanted to ask what you all think about a cheap phone in place of an MP3 player maybe?

Many Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I didn't know those existed. Thanks!
    A cheap phone for an MP3 player for a car can also act as an accident recording device (lets you take pictures of an RTA) and of course as an emergency communication device! Win win! It's probably going to be a lot more flexible in terms of audio playback and of course streaming - one of those cheap penny SIM deals would give you access to streaming services, youtube, etc and of course you could also turn it into a WiFi hotspot!
    Built in MP3 Player and FM Radio on this mobile phone according to specifications but note that operating system is Android 12 GO
    hotukdeals.com/dea…453
    There are cheap mp3/4 players on ebay from about £15-20 and up.
    I'd look for an LG v30 or other V series or some G series, they have really nicely sounding quad DAC, expandable memory too
    I have the LG G5 with the Bang & Olufsen add-on that supports 32-bit 384kHz high resolution audio and DSD playback...

whathifi.com/new…dac

CEX are selling the handsets for £50, I can't see any B&O add ons though (edited)
    best thing are the tape with aux cable so I can plug my phone into tape player, magical
    You must be driving a real classic if you've got a car with a cassette player, even my 1982 van was upgraded to a Bluetooth capable sound system sometime before I bought it
    I use lg g5 with no SIM in for podcasts and music.

If this dies I'll buy a cheap android phone.
    Sold all my mp3 players
's avatar
Top Merchants