Good eggs?

Found 4th May
Where can I buy good quality eggs at a fair price?

I know the way chickens are kept in isn't great, even when free range. I wonder what people tend to go for.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I get whatever is the cheapest in a supermarket.
egg is an egg and not much different in taste when compared to free range, organic and what not.
Edited by: "mattsk" 4th May
My next-door neighbour is a good egg in an 1800s Public School kind of way.

She may get laid often, but I could not comment on that.
24 Comments
I get whatever is the cheapest in a supermarket.
egg is an egg and not much different in taste when compared to free range, organic and what not.
Edited by: "mattsk" 4th May
Can't go wrong with chocolate ones.
Not from me, EATING BABY DINO'S YOU SICKO!
Get your own hen to lay egg?
My next-door neighbour is a good egg in an 1800s Public School kind of way.

She may get laid often, but I could not comment on that.
Some out of the way farms sell at decent prices. And they are usually always organic as tou see them running around the yard.
Aldi. I've tried them from all over the place and Nantwich market are the only ones I go for if not using Aldi.
fanpages1 h, 2 m ago

My next-door neighbour is a good egg in an 1800s Public School kind of …My next-door neighbour is a good egg in an 1800s Public School kind of way.She may get laid often, but I could not comment on that.

Someone may ask what her eggs taste like (not me) but it could be taken the wrong way in today's pc climate.
shadey1231 m ago

Someone may ask what her eggs taste like (not me) but it could be taken …Someone may ask what her eggs taste like (not me) but it could be taken the wrong way in today's pc climate.

I suppose it depends on where you've been recently, but I'd be very surprised if eggs did taste like you.
MonkeysUncle1 h, 33 m ago

Some out of the way farms sell at decent prices. And they are usually …Some out of the way farms sell at decent prices. And they are usually always organic as tou see them running around the yard.

Local farm near us is one of those training places that work with the mentally challenged in a support scheme, they sell trays of 30 for £2 proper free range too as they had loads of space to roam - best eggs we've had with the exception of when we had our own chooks (we had to give them up when we moved due to smaller garden, but I miss having them - they make great pets, the little aracauna we had used to jump into your arms when you got near her then position herself on her back for belly rubs and sort of purr like a cat or sometimes sit on your shoulder!.
The best I've tried recently are Happy Eggs, very rich yolk colour and pleasant taste.

thehappyegg.co.uk/abo…us/
jaketheplumber28 m ago

The best I've tried recently are Happy Eggs, very rich yolk colour and …The best I've tried recently are Happy Eggs, very rich yolk colour and pleasant taste.https://thehappyegg.co.uk/about-us/

It's a shame the chickens aren't rearlly happy.... Unhappy Chickens
steve.t1 h, 48 m ago

It's a shame the chickens aren't rearlly happy.... Unhappy Chickens

The OP was asking about egg quality, I just gave an opinion based on personal taste. We all know that spurious advertising by big producers makes it a minefield out there trying to source ethically produced food. When eggs are described as free range we take it for granted that the hens are free to roam for most of their lives, not just a matter of a few weeks. Same goes for outdoor bred pork, the pigs are born out of doors but are only left with the sow for a few weeks and then put indoors like the majority of food animals. We do the best we can as shoppers to try and find ethically produced food but we are constantly being misled so have to take all claims made by producers with a very large pinch of salt.
Organic are supposed to be the best as far as how the hens are kept.

I buy free range... just pennies more expensive than caged but at least the hens are not mistreated as much and have a little more room.
Reason i like local farm eggs is because you simply cant buy the equivalent in shops. I reguarly get double yolkers, and the colour is really rich.
You could also try asking about if you see delivery vans to cafe's if they arent the branded ones. So usually white van or something sounding local.. A guy delivers to a cafe near me who does trays of farm eggs at crazy prices and makes his own sausages. A bit like going down the coast when fishing boats are coming in, just buy direct from the boat.
So how much do these farm eggs cost?
hearts222 h, 14 m ago

Organic are supposed to be the best as far as how the hens are kept.I buy …Organic are supposed to be the best as far as how the hens are kept.I buy free range... just pennies more expensive than caged but at least the hens are not mistreated as much and have a little more room.

...during daylight hours.
fanpages1 h, 16 m ago

...during daylight hours.

Yes, I'm not deluding myself that they are roaming freely all the time lol. It's just a bit better than caged, which is the absolute most horrible condition. For the small difference in price I'd rather get free range at a minimum.
Edited by: "hearts22" 4th May
Buy from the local farm 30 eggs for 2.50
harlzter4th May

Local farm near us is one of those training places that work with the …Local farm near us is one of those training places that work with the mentally challenged in a support scheme, they sell trays of 30 for £2 proper free range too as they had loads of space to roam - best eggs we've had with the exception of when we had our own chooks (we had to give them up when we moved due to smaller garden, but I miss having them - they make great pets, the little aracauna we had used to jump into your arms when you got near her then position herself on her back for belly rubs and sort of purr like a cat or sometimes sit on your shoulder!.

That sounds really great. I live in London so there probably aren't farms like that around but will try and research it. Thanks
chance18910 m ago

That sounds really great. I live in London so there probably aren't farms …That sounds really great. I live in London so there probably aren't farms like that around but will try and research it. Thanks

Yeah my oldest lads got to do work experience through school and i arranged him a place there, its a chance to work with animals which he is great with plus to work with vulnerable and special needs young adults which will be a good experience for him as for a lad who loves the rough of the Army cadets (he is currently on a 3 day 50 mile hike/camp) he is also a caring soul who makes us proud to be his parents.
chance1893 h, 25 m ago

That sounds really great. I live in London so there probably aren't farms …That sounds really great. I live in London so there probably aren't farms like that around but will try and research it. Thanks

Quite a few 'urban farms' in and around London - Vauxhall, Hackney, Hounslow, Surrey Docks, Deen City... and many are free to visit and have a look around too, with good quality eggs sold in the gift shops
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants