Good Estate Car which seats Fold down completely?

Found 28th Jan 2016
Want to swap my minivan for something a bit smaller and much more economical, getting 25mpg and unable to park pretty much anywhere just sucks... I do need it for my business as well where I have to transport large/bulky/long objects Hence I have the minivan which does good job at it.

But started to look at some youtube videos and pretty much every car has messed up the way how their rear seats fold, for 99% of the cars I think they don't fold completely flat and you can't recline the front passanger seat as well so you can't fit in even longer objects in it.
I have a Honda jazz as well which is perfect at this,however a bit too small, see this picture and you will see what kind of seating position I'm after-
i.ytimg.com/vi/…jpg

I had an old rover 75 estate which also had seating like that and it was a mamooth at carrying large stuff but yet to see any estate today which has the same simple function to fold the rear seats completely flat and recline the passanger seat.

Any Ideas?? I'm up for anything BUT French or Vauxhall or ford.
Community Updates
AskCar
16 Comments
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-7DCNzz69pg/maxresdefault.jpg
Maybe this will help.
seven seaters
Removing French, Vauxhall and Ford doesn't leave much other than Land Rover Discovery (one of the least reliable cars on the planet).
We had a look at Korean but like the Zafira and galaxy etc once all the seats are up there's no room for luggage. Maybe there's some Japanese cars about, they'll be more expensive although far more reliable than anything else.
Check out the Honda Civic Tourer, it's like a Tardis.
Volvo V50 folds down flat.
The passenger seat folds fowards on a lot of cars rather than reclining backwards. The civic tourer is a very good car generally but I'm not sure if the passenger seat does fold.

Why not go for a car length minivan/MPV that's 4.8-5m long? Ford Grand Tourneo, Ford Galaxy, VW Sharan. Renault Espace if buying second hand. It won't do the 65mpg that the civic tourer gets or even the 50mpg+ of most estates but a lot of them will hit high thirties which is a significant improvement from your current 25mpg. They will also be perfectly flat instead of having the lump of the passenger seat back like the jazz pictured.

Granted most of them are French or Ford but I'd judge a car on it's own merits rather than that of it's brand. Most of the far eastern brands don't officially sell their MPVs here, but the likes of the Toyota Alphard/Vellfire, Nissan Elgrand and Honda Stepwgn are fairly popular imports.
If before 2005 then the Ford Galaxy is more VW than it is Ford, The 1.9tdi is powered by VW along with the 6 speed gearbox, It was also built by VW. Their was a Ford engined 2.3 petrol but would assume you'd want a diesel.

I had mine remapped, Easily achieve 42mpg as standard, Once remapped get closer to 50mpg, I could squeeze 55mpg on good runs.

The seats don't fold flat into the floor though, They are removable and once removed you can get a fully erected double bed in there.!

If you need seats to fold flat into floor though then why not consider the MK3 Galaxy or Smax? They're pretty well built, Better built than the Galaxy they replaced. They're no less reliable than other diesels.

I've got a 2.0L petrol Smax it does drink fuel 30mpg ish but it drives very nice, Hasn't let me down yet and build quality is very good.
shauneco

If before 2005 then the Ford Galaxy is more VW than it is Ford, The … If before 2005 then the Ford Galaxy is more VW than it is Ford, The 1.9tdi is powered by VW along with the 6 speed gearbox, It was also built by VW. Their was a Ford engined 2.3 petrol but would assume you'd want a diesel. I had mine remapped, Easily achieve 42mpg as standard, Once remapped get closer to 50mpg, I could squeeze 55mpg on good runs.The seats don't fold flat into the floor though, They are removable and once removed you can get a fully erected double bed in there.!If you need seats to fold flat into floor though then why not consider the MK3 Galaxy or Smax? They're pretty well built, Better built than the Galaxy they replaced. They're no less reliable than other diesels.I've got a 2.0L petrol Smax it does drink fuel 30mpg ish but it drives very nice, Hasn't let me down yet and build quality is very good.

If I wanted another old minivan I would go for the Seat alhambra/sharan not the crap galaxy.. and the seats which you must take out SUUUUCKKS big time. For mine they weigh a ton and you need to have 2 people to take them out, and than once you take them out you have nowhere to store them,when you want to use the car as a normal car again you must put them back in... arghhhh.... Friend of mine has pretty new s-max and that car is just not good designed at all as most french/fords/vauxhalls and she doesn't likes the car as well.
229mel

If I wanted another old minivan I would go for the Seat alhambra/sharan … If I wanted another old minivan I would go for the Seat alhambra/sharan not the crap galaxy.. and the seats which you must take out SUUUUCKKS big time. For mine they weigh a ton and you need to have 2 people to take them out, and than once you take them out you have nowhere to store them,when you want to use the car as a normal car again you must put them back in... arghhhh.... Friend of mine has pretty new s-max and that car is just not good designed at all as most french/fords/vauxhalls and she doesn't likes the car as well.

The MK1 and MK2 Galaxy were Exactly the same as the Sharan/Alhambra, Same engine and gearbox etc as I already stated, Only difference were the shape of the lights and the dashboard, They were all built in the same factory using the same parts etc. all had to have the seats removed in the same way etc.. Which admittedly was annoying. So that's a ridiculous brand snobbery comment to make when they're the same car.

The newer from 2007 onwards Sharan/Alhambra are different, They also have sliding doors and the seats fold flat so they might be a good option.

Smax won car of the year with good reason, It's a very nice and well designed car, Drives very nice and the only alternatives really are Zafira, Mazda 5, C4 Grand Picasso, VW Touran.

The Smax is better than all those, Might be some newer options but most are French.
shauneco

The MK1 and MK2 Galaxy were Exactly the same as the Sharan/Alhambra, Same … The MK1 and MK2 Galaxy were Exactly the same as the Sharan/Alhambra, Same engine and gearbox etc as I already stated, Only difference were the shape of the lights and the dashboard, They were all built in the same factory using the same parts etc. all had to have the seats removed in the same way etc.. Which admittedly was annoying. So that's a ridiculous brand snobbery comment to make when they're the same car. The newer from 2007 onwards Sharan/Alhambra are different, They also have sliding doors and the seats fold flat so they might be a good option. Smax won car of the year with good reason, It's a very nice and well designed car, Drives very nice and the only alternatives really are Zafira, Mazda 5, C4 Grand Picasso, VW Touran. The Smax is better than all those, Might be some newer options but most are French.

Yet they still somehow managed to brake down lots more than the VW group counterparts even they were the ''same car'' , did some research on those a couple of years ago.
229mel

Yet they still somehow managed to brake down lots more than the VW group … Yet they still somehow managed to brake down lots more than the VW group counterparts even they were the ''same car'' , did some research on those a couple of years ago.

That's bull, You didn't research them very well, They are the same car, Their were more Galaxy's sold than Sharan's and Alhambra's so logical that more of those would of had issues but they are no more unreliable than Sharans or Alhambras. If you stuck a Ferrari badge on a Fiat would that make it do 200mph?

I have had mk1 and mk2 Galaxy's and a Sharan and done over 120k miles and guess how many times I have broken down in the space of 10 years? Once when a fanbelt snapped and that was on a Sharan. The VW PD engine was pretty much bullet proof, I think that proves they're pretty reliable, Admittedly I'm quite mechanically minded, Maybe I was lucky?.
I have a Toyota rav 4...the seats are removable. Err, can't comment on anything else lol
dharne

Check out the Honda Civic Tourer, it's like a Tardis.

Award winning reliability and 70 m.p.g. on the diesel.
landros1

Award winning reliability and 70 m.p.g. on the diesel.

seems like a cool car, however it's a new model=expensive now at around 12.000 for 1year old, have to wait like 2years before it drops to some £5k
Not cheap but Honda have won the most reliable car for 7 years running.
Still good value compared with German motors.
Edited by: "landros1" 28th Jan 2016
229mel

All that to put a seat of ski's in, my Alfa even has a ski hatch!. Mind you not that I actually ever go skiing though come the weekend I may retract that statement if the forecast is correct!

Volvo V70/XC70/XC90 (excuse the picture but its a lefthand drive incase you wonder wrong seat lol)
[img]encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTU-R9ah9sq5qt3Rppq0w8Cvy07gFBtb6XCgKHc-aXlf-0GHpp[/img]

Skoda Superb Estate​ also very good.

Wild Card of a Fiat 500XL quite nifty storage with two tier hatch compartments if needed (one in showroom had 2 large suitcases on each row) rear then folds flat and the front seat flips over on itself from memory forward creating the space like in the picture you showed. (pic below)
Fiat 500XL pics

I remember seeing one of the Mazda models also in the showroom with full folding like you asked for. Can't remember if it was the CX lineup or the 6 Estate and google pics seems to be no luck with the full seats setup.

Subaru Outback though not one of the more powerful ones as you wouldn't get the MPG's you after the 2.0L D about the best. (work colleague has one)

Honda CRV I think but not totally sure but could check on Saturday if you wish (again work colleague has one)
Hope this helps you any.

Another alt, thought about a Mitsubishi L200 (twin cab) loads of customs can be done on them pretty cheap for some nifty storage.
http://www.firs-garage.com//uploads/used-76-full-1800.jpg

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 29th Jan 2016
Toyota Yaris Verso
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions