Good Gaming Desktop PC under £600?

Found 18th Jul 2011
Hey HUKD.,

I'm interested in getting in to gaming on the PC as I'm getting fed up with the xbox and PS3.

Now, apparently RAM and graphics card are important for gaming. I have been looking and the Intel i3 2120 with 3.30 GHZ which seems like a good processor.

I want to be able to run games such as GTA with Graphic mods with high detail graphics and also run games such as Battlefield and Call of Duty smoothly. If this is possible for under £600 then great but I am maybe willing to add an extra £50 or so if needed

Thanks alot in advance for the help
Community Updates
MiscDesktopPC
32 Comments
Maybe you should Goog-le it X)
Have a look at cyberpower systems uk
Original Poster
Thanks alot! I'll check it out
Hi dcx_badass,
How much would you charge to put a gaming pc together?
Original Poster
donaldduck2

Hi dcx_badass,How much would you charge to put a gaming pc together?

It's actually quite simple to build the PC yourself. There are lots of video and text tutorials on the internet and most of it is just Place and screw!
Thanks for the advice. I have heard the phrase "cable management" used before. How easy is it to fit in the various cables?
Thank you, will have a look on the internet for some more information.
dcx_badass

Build you're own, easy to do for £600, here's one I did for someone on … Build you're own, easy to do for £600, here's one I did for someone on here about a month ago. PRobs get it a little cheaper now.The 2500 is much better than that crappy 2120.

Yes can rec this one son is loving his gaming on it, no lag on any of the games

Cheers dcx
ps3 is the best
How easy is it to build a computer? Ive been looking for a new desktop with around £500ish to spend. I got my last one from Dino pc but would love to have a go at building my own. I can change ram,cd drives and easy stuff like that but never really tried anything else. Only really need it for Football manager so lots of ram needed?
Edited by: "SteJosh" 18th Jul 2011
Sloth/Mod
SteJosh

How easy is it to build a computer? Ive been looking for a new desktop … How easy is it to build a computer? Ive been looking for a new desktop with around £500ish to spend. I got my last one from Dino pc but would love to have a go at building my own. I can change ram,cd drives and easy stuff like that but never really tried anything else. Only really need it for Football manager so lots of ram needed?

I have a SandyBridge i7 with 8gb ram and i can finally run all leagues X)
Syzable

I have a SandyBridge i7 with 8gb ram and i can finally run all leagues X)

Lol, living the dream!. Im jealous.

Hi dcx_badass, I happened on this thread looking for a cheap desktop deal. Initially, I'd intended to go for lower spec ready-build but having built desktops in the past I'm tempted by the above. I'm currently using an i5 laptop but using the computer for audio (DAW) it would make more sense to have a dedicated desktop and kill all birds with one stone if gaming ever tempts me.

A couple of questions...

Regarding audio, noise is a major issue. Does this system run quiet - at least when the cpu is not too loaded - or are the fans constant speed? Just one fan?
(edit: I was forgetting the graphics card! An extra fan and lot's more noise maybe?)

Would you say this is a good bang-for-buck compromise or - with gaming not a priority - could one save a significant chunk using perhaps a slightly slower cpu.

- many thanks if you can help...
Edited by: "bristle" 18th Jul 2011
SteJosh

How easy is it to build a computer? Ive been looking for a new desktop … How easy is it to build a computer? Ive been looking for a new desktop with around £500ish to spend. I got my last one from Dino pc but would love to have a go at building my own. I can change ram,cd drives and easy stuff like that but never really tried anything else. Only really need it for Football manager so lots of ram needed?

Remember when you where at Nursery & you tried to hammer the Star shape in to the Square shape & no matter how hard you tried it would just never fit :-/

Fitting hardware to a PC is idiot proof & I'm proof of that.
Once you have it all connected up you then turn it on insert your Windows disc & install windows that also give you step by step.........It's so easy you will wished you started building them years ago & of course any probs you can always post on here for a member to help.
bristle

Hi dcx_badass, I happened on this thread looking for a cheap desktop … Hi dcx_badass, I happened on this thread looking for a cheap desktop deal. Initially, I'd intended to go for lower spec ready-build but having built desktops in the past I'm tempted by the above. I'm currently using an i5 laptop but using the computer for audio (DAW) it would make more sense to have a dedicated desktop and kill all birds with one stone if gaming ever tempts me.A couple of questions...Regarding audio, noise is a major issue. Does this system run quiet - at least when the cpu is not too loaded - or are the fans constant speed? Just one fan?Would you say this is a good bang-for-buck compromise or - with gaming not a priority - could one save a significant chunk using perhaps a slightly slower cpu (maybe quieter too). - many thanks if you can help...

The quieter a PC is often more expensive & that's why people are moving to SSD & also buying more expensive PSU's Bronze being the nosier,Silver being decent & gold being the best.

You will need a decent case & you would also be looking to buy a water cooler & decent Graphics card.Read reviews when buying & I find amazon good for reviews & also another site that's banned on here called O.v.e.r.c.l.o.c.k.e.r.s.
WheresMeNuts

The quieter a PC is often more expensive & that's why people are moving … The quieter a PC is often more expensive & that's why people are moving to SSD & also buying more expensive PSU's Bronze being the nosier,Silver being decent & gold being the best.You will need a decent case & you would also be looking to buy a water cooler & decent Graphics card.Read reviews when buying & I find amazon good for reviews & also another site that's banned on here called O.v.e.r.c.l.o.c.k.e.r.s.

That's not true at all, you don't need an expensive case, ssd drives and water cooling to have a quiet system,

A decent quality case yes, spending over the odds? nope.
SSD drives give performance increase, not audible increase, unless drive reading is something that ticks you off.
A thermaltake silver arrow cpu cooler will destroy any pre built water cooling loops, is cheaper, and virtually silent.
Then of course you need to make sure your motherboard actually supports PWM, because if it doesn't, or your cpu fan is 3pin instead of 4, then the fan will run and full rpm, generating a fair bit of noise.
The one thing I would add to all of the above is buy a better CPU cooler and replace the stock one Hyper 212 + are good for the money and if you don't want to play around with backplates try the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 CPU Cooler
- thanks fruman23, my existing home-build is circa 2004 so there's some catching up to do on components.

A decent audio workstation needs a punchy cpu but makes very little demand on graphics. Are these more powerful graphics cards a noise source in themselves?

I've looked up the themaltake, it looks impressive, and I take your point about the motherboard catering for PWM...
bristle

Hi dcx_badass, I happened on this thread looking for a cheap desktop … Hi dcx_badass, I happened on this thread looking for a cheap desktop deal. Initially, I'd intended to go for lower spec ready-build but having built desktops in the past I'm tempted by the above. I'm currently using an i5 laptop but using the computer for audio (DAW) it would make more sense to have a dedicated desktop and kill all birds with one stone if gaming ever tempts me.A couple of questions...Regarding audio, noise is a major issue. Does this system run quiet - at least when the cpu is not too loaded - or are the fans constant speed? Just one fan?(edit: I was forgetting the graphics card! An extra fan and lot's more noise maybe?)Would you say this is a good bang-for-buck compromise or - with gaming not a priority - could one save a significant chunk using perhaps a slightly slower cpu. - many thanks if you can help...

Noise isn't really an issue with DAWs. Firewire, DVI and USB cables are all good up to (and often over) 5meters in length and microphone cables can be fairly lengthy too before any signal degradation, so there's no real reason to have your desktop anywhere near your microphones.
fruman23

That's not true at all, you don't need an expensive case, ssd drives and … That's not true at all, you don't need an expensive case, ssd drives and water cooling to have a quiet system, A decent quality case yes, spending over the odds? nope.SSD drives give performance increase, not audible increase, unless drive reading is something that ticks you off.A thermaltake silver arrow cpu cooler will destroy any pre built water cooling loops, is cheaper, and virtually silent.Then of course you need to make sure your motherboard actually supports PWM, because if it doesn't, or your cpu fan is 3pin instead of 4, then the fan will run and full rpm, generating a fair bit of noise.

SSD cards being quieter than HDD cards as stated in many reviews & I've also noticed it on one of my netbooks & so does make a difference.

The CoolIT ECO A.L.C Water Cooler will be quieter than the thermaltake silver arrow cpu cooler you suggested...........In my opinion.
bristle

- thanks fruman23, my existing home-build is circa 2004 so there's some … - thanks fruman23, my existing home-build is circa 2004 so there's some catching up to do on components.A decent audio workstation needs a punchy cpu but makes very little demand on graphics. Are these more powerful graphics cards a noise source in themselves?I've looked up the themaltake, it looks impressive, and I take your point about the motherboard catering for PWM...

Looking at graphics cards it depends what you want, go for something with an aftermarket cooler, rather than a reference card/cooler

Got an msi hawk 6870 which is highy oc'ed and the fan is so good it hits 40% on load and is virtually silent.
WheresMeNuts

SSD cards being quieter than HDD cards as stated in many reviews & I've … SSD cards being quieter than HDD cards as stated in many reviews & I've also noticed it on one of my netbooks & so does make a difference.The CoolIT ECO A.L.C Water Cooler will be quieter than the thermaltake silver arrow cpu cooler you suggested...........In my opinion.

That's not my point though, if you wan't to reduce noise, recommending stupidly overpriced ssd's aren't the way to go.

And as for the eco? I've had one and it was pretty loud, thats including limiting the rpm of the fan.
The silver arrow will destroy it every time.

Like i said, even the motherboard has to be taken into account, so you can't just recommend one or two things.
Edited by: "fruman23" 18th Jul 2011
Just buy a decent case, a half decent case will block out a lot of noise.
fruman23

That's not my point though, if you wan't to reduce noise, recommending … That's not my point though, if you wan't to reduce noise, recommending stupidly overpriced ssd's aren't the way to go.And as for the eco? I've had one and it was pretty loud, thats including limiting the rpm of the fan.The silver arrow will destroy it every time.

I agree SSd's are way over priced,but buyer may not have a money issue when it comes to wanting quieter.
Anyone else agree that the silver arrow is quieter than the CoolIT ECO A.L.C, because I have one & can't hear a thing from it.
WheresMeNuts

I agree SSd's are way over priced,but buyer may not have a money issue … I agree SSd's are way over priced,but buyer may not have a money issue when it comes to wanting quieter.Anyone else agree that the silver arrow is quieter than the CoolIT ECO A.L.C, because I have one & can't hear a thing from it.

It could be nothing in your system giving it enough of a push to actually stress it?

I tend to find air coolers better overall, or a full watercooling setup than a pre installed loop.
Original Poster
What about this combo? Seems great and in my budget:

Intel i5 2500K unlocked 3.3 ghz - £163.00 (Amazon)
ASUS GeForce GTX 560 1GB Graphics card - £148.00 (Ebay)
Corsair DDR3 1333MHz 2 x 4GB - £51.33 (Amazon)
Samsung Sata II 1TB - £42.16 (Amazon)
ASUS P8P67 Motherboard - £75.47 (Amazon)
BeQuiet! Pure power 530w Power - £44.99 (Scan - Free delivery

Total - £524.95

Also, does it matter what case I buy? I have been looking and the only difference I can see is than some have fans and some don't. Do I need to buy a specific one for my Hardware or am I just being stupid? Hahaha

I can also then buy Windows 7 within my budget aswell!

So what do you think?

Edited by: "MasterJenkins" 18th Jul 2011
MasterJenkins

What about this combo? Seems great and in my budget:Intel i5 2500K … What about this combo? Seems great and in my budget:Intel i5 2500K unlocked 3.3 ghz - £163.00 (Amazon)ASUS GeForce GTX 560 1GB Graphics card - £148.00 (Ebay)Corsair DDR3 1333MHz 2 x 4GB - £51.33 (Amazon)Samsung Sata II 1TB - £42.16 (Amazon)ASUS P8P67 Motherboard - £75.47 (Amazon)BeQuiet! Pure power 530w Power - £44.99 (Scan - Free deliveryTotal - £524.95Also, does it matter what case I buy? I have been looking and the only difference I can see is than some have fans and some don't. Do I need to buy a specific one for my Hardware or am I just being stupid? HahahaI can also then buy Windows 7 within my budget aswell!So what do you think?

Ive been looking for something around that spec aswell. dinopc.com/sho…006
looks good, dont think i could build my own lol.
Original Poster
Hahaha You should try it's really not that difficult! Also, is that dinopc.com website reliable. I'm quite interested as the price seems very reasonable seeing as they construct it for you!
MasterJenkins

Hahaha You should try it's really not that difficult! Also, is that … Hahaha You should try it's really not that difficult! Also, is that dinopc.com website reliable. I'm quite interested as the price seems very reasonable seeing as they construct it for you!

Ive used them in the past, still using one of their comps now. Had no problems just its getting old now....

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/2391/dinopcorder.png

Original Poster
SteJosh

Ive used them in the past, still using one of their comps now. Had no … Ive used them in the past, still using one of their comps now. Had no problems just its getting old now....

Hahaha just a bit Yes I'm very interested in Dinopc. Would save alot of hassle. Do they offer a warranty or anything like that?
MasterJenkins

Hahaha just a bit Yes I'm very interested in Dinopc. Would save alot … Hahaha just a bit Yes I'm very interested in Dinopc. Would save alot of hassle. Do they offer a warranty or anything like that?

yeah they do, costly tho. Ive never used it so i dont know what they are like.
Original Poster
There are loads of Custom PC's on ebay aswell. Quite cheap with good specs. E.g:

ebay.co.uk/itm…b9d

I'm not sure what to do now! Weither to buy a bundle off ebay or to just build my own. I would probably save about £70 building it myself so it's probably worth just building myself
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions