good heating system cleaner

Found 29th Jul 2017
Hi, I am going to install a magnaclean filter soon and I will be draining the system but was wondering whats the best heating system cleaner to use. I bought this house back in April and I am not sure what type of inhibitor is in the system.
I was thinking if putting the cleaner in now and let it circulate for a couple of weeks before installing the magnaclean. Does that sound like a good idea ?
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
I think you need to chemical clean or powerflush before installing them. Inhibitor is only any good if you have an air sealed system. I have that crappy plastic piping without a membrane so it was a chemical flush with no inhibitor.
Buy the Magnaclean with their cleaner, usually works out cheaper than equivalent Fernox/Sentinel.

You will want to be running the heating with cleanser circulating, i would wait till winter, although fit the filter now. Don't bother with inhibitor for the interim.
Sentinel x400
But as other poster says boiler needs to be running , for about a month
Edited by: "snoopy18" 29th Jul 2017
I used Fernox - cleaner then inhibitor - worked well, removed a lot of sludge to begin with then, constantly draining and cleaning the Magnaclean. Bought the stuff from ebay.

I'd fit the Magnaclean now - I think you can do a good part of the cleaning in the summer - just circulate the water (without the cleaner) through the radiators with the boiler thermostat turned off so you get the flowrate but no heat. I closed radiator valves so had all the flow through one radiator at a time - the turbulence in the system will flush the cr*p out. Just keep doing it until there is negligible material in the Magnaclean.

Then add the cleaner in the late autumn.

I wouldn't bother with a powerflush - I think they are a big con! If really want to do this just use a mains hose pipe to flush to a drain - same effect!
kester76

I think you need to chemical clean or powerflush before installing them. … I think you need to chemical clean or powerflush before installing them. Inhibitor is only any good if you have an air sealed system. I have that crappy plastic piping without a membrane so it was a chemical flush with no inhibitor.

I always thought the inhibitor acted as a rust deterrent same as the coolant in your car so shouldn't make any difference whether it's a sealed system or not.
Smartguy1

I always thought the inhibitor acted as a rust deterrent same as the … I always thought the inhibitor acted as a rust deterrent same as the coolant in your car so shouldn't make any difference whether it's a sealed system or not.

From what the plumber told me was that it works my removing the oxygen from the water or prevent it from forming rust. My pipes allow oxygen in so the inhibitor just wears out very quickly, with a copper piped system this isn't an issue unless you have micro leaks. It just means I need to swap out radiators every 10 years or so which is cheaper that £4k to replumb the whole house.
Pretty sure your radiator on your car is a sealed system or it would bubble out.
Edited by: "kester76" 29th Jul 2017
Wickes , Sentinel wickes.co.uk/Sen…636 . Give it a few days on and off then drain and refill . Don't need the heating on all the time ,just enough to move it round . Don't forget to put inhibitor in afterwards .
rogparki1 h, 49 m ago

Wickes , Sentinel …Wickes , Sentinel http://www.wickes.co.uk/Sentinel-x-800-Jetflo-Cleaner-1L/p/227636 . Give it a few days on and off then drain and refill . Don't need the heating on all the time ,just enough to move it round . Don't forget to put inhibitor in afterwards .

What's the difference between the x400 and the x800 ? Which is better ?
Van1973

I used Fernox - cleaner then inhibitor - worked well, removed a lot of … I used Fernox - cleaner then inhibitor - worked well, removed a lot of sludge to begin with then, constantly draining and cleaning the Magnaclean. Bought the stuff from ebay.I'd fit the Magnaclean now - I think you can do a good part of the cleaning in the summer - just circulate the water (without the cleaner) through the radiators with the boiler thermostat turned off so you get the flowrate but no heat. I closed radiator valves so had all the flow through one radiator at a time - the turbulence in the system will flush the cr*p out. Just keep doing it until there is negligible material in the Magnaclean.Then add the cleaner in the late autumn.I wouldn't bother with a powerflush - I think they are a big con! If really want to do this just use a mains hose pipe to flush to a drain - same effect!

Think you mean then add the inhibitor in the autumn
mahmouddiaa

What's the difference between the x400 and the x800 ? Which is better ?

x800 is the better option - acts like a light powerflush without the associated risks of a prower flush.

best to do in winter - add a bottle of X800 and run the system flat out for a few hours then drain while dtill hot. Leave system to cool then fill up and add x100 inhibitor.

Been doing the same with my system for years and no issues - and my magnaclean hardly gets any "fur" in it after it's annual clean

EliTom
Edited by: "elitom" 30th Jul 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants