Groups

Good home security camera system

Been thinking about getting a home security camera system that I can use with my smartphone, seen a few, do not know which one to invest in, anyone have any recommendations please?

7 Comments

What's your budget? How many cameras?

The Swann range are pretty good and most come with lifetime support. If you don't mind cables, then the BNC type connectors are cheapest, but there's wires everywhere (power, video, audio) for each camera.

You can get systems that only use 1 cable (standard ethernet) which does all of the above but they tend to be more pricey. These are known as NVR (networked video recorder).

Prices range from £200-500 for a 1080p BNC (depending on number of cameras)
    Prices range from £350-800 for NVR kits, but you tend to get better cameras too (1080p, 2mp, 4mp etc...) Again depending on number of cameras.

My parents purchased a BNC kit a few years back, and while the quality is very good (they're 2mp cameras), the cabling just looks obscene, no matter how tidy you make it look.

Swann are just relabelled chines knock offs.
    Get a cheap £70 job from eBay, put your own hard drive in and get up a ladder and fit.
    You're right about the cables though, mikes of the stuff.
    Edited by: "thedvdmonster" 9th Jul

Hikvision all day long

Original Poster

Budget £500 Min of 3 camera's, thanks I will look into your suggestions

SamuraiHQ

What's your budget? How many cameras?The Swann range are pretty good and … What's your budget? How many cameras?The Swann range are pretty good and most come with lifetime support. If you don't mind cables, then the BNC type connectors are cheapest, but there's wires everywhere (power, video, audio) for each camera.You can get systems that only use 1 cable (standard ethernet) which does all of the above but they tend to be more pricey. These are known as NVR (networked video recorder).Prices range from £200-500 for a 1080p BNC (depending on number of cameras)Prices range from £350-800 for NVR kits, but you tend to get better cameras too (1080p, 2mp, 4mp etc...) Again depending on number of cameras.My parents purchased a BNC kit a few years back, and while the quality is very good (they're 2mp cameras), the cabling just looks obscene, no matter how tidy you make it look.

Original Poster

Thanks, but, I'm useless at diy stuff.

thedvdmonster

Swann are just relabelled chines knock offs. Get a cheap £70 job from … Swann are just relabelled chines knock offs. Get a cheap £70 job from eBay, put your own hard drive in and get up a ladder and fit. You're right about the cables though, mikes of the stuff.

Original Poster

I'll take a look thanks, never heard of them tbh, but I can see lots of stars on Amazon, so must be good.

Se10ery241

Hikvision all day long

deard69

I'll take a look thanks, never heard of them tbh, but I can see lots of … I'll take a look thanks, never heard of them tbh, but I can see lots of stars on Amazon, so must be good.

Very good but not the cheapest. Watch you don't get fooled some fakes about
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382
      2. word association Game74044544
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2468
      4. Spotify Family Premium share721

See more discussions