Groups

Good i7 laptop for uni?

Hi, can someone point me to a good i7 laptop for uni? My brother is going to start uni in about 2 weeks. Suggestions welcome

13 Comments

Why i7 what they doing?

Why does it have to be i7?

What is he going to be doing at Uni? Has the university specified any requirements for the course

What is the budget?

What are his requirements? Screen size, battery life, portability, what other uses outside of coursework will he need it for? Your post needs a lot more detail for people to post a specific and useful range of suggestions, as it stands you're going to just get a scatter gun of suggestions that have i7 processors (which being honest some are rubbish and some not).

Original Poster

Astec123

Why does it have to be i7?What is he going to be doing at Uni? Has the … Why does it have to be i7?What is he going to be doing at Uni? Has the university specified any requirements for the courseWhat is the budget?What are his requirements? Screen size, battery life, portability, what other uses outside of coursework will he need it for? Your post needs a lot more detail for people to post a specific and useful range of suggestions, as it stands you're going to just get a scatter gun of suggestions that have i7 processors (which being honest some are rubbish and some not).

jimhuf

Why i7 what they doing?

He is doing medicine. Screen shouldn't be too big - probs 15inch max. (13 to 14 inch ideal)

Budget is upto £700.

No other requirements

A medic doesn't need an i7 just get an i5 and with that budget he will benefit from the trade off. Just make sure it has an ssd and you can't go wrong.

Astec123

Why does it have to be i7?What is he going to be doing at Uni? Has the … Why does it have to be i7?What is he going to be doing at Uni? Has the university specified any requirements for the courseWhat is the budget?What are his requirements? Screen size, battery life, portability, what other uses outside of coursework will he need it for? Your post needs a lot more detail for people to post a specific and useful range of suggestions, as it stands you're going to just get a scatter gun of suggestions that have i7 processors (which being honest some are rubbish and some not).

jimhuf

Why i7 what they doing?

In that case forgo the i7 requirement it's a pointless extra cost that won't add any benefits.

shop.lenovo.com/ukr…rue

Code to access is !lenovorewards!

Specify this option as follows for £650.51 and you get good performance, high resolution screen, 10 hours battery life for web browsing and a semi rugged machine that should last the duration of his course and put up with being thrown in a bag on a daily basis.

Processor
    Intel Core i5-6200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.80GHz)
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64
    Operating System Language
    Windows 10 Home 64 WE (EN/FR/DE/NL/IT)
    Display
    14.0 FHD(1920x1080) IPS Non-Touch
    Memory
    8GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600MHz ( 2 SODIMM )
    Graphics
    AMD Radeon R5 M330 2GB
    Security Chip
    Software TPM & Hardware dTPM
    Keyboard
    Keyboard - UK English
    Fingerprint Reader
    UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
    TPM Setting
    Software TPM Enabled
    Camera
    720p HD Camera
    First Hard Drive
    256 GB Solid State Drive, SATA3 OPAL2.0 - Capable
    Rear Battery
    ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (72Wh) Cyl HC Rear
    Power Cord
    65W AC Adapter - UK(3pin)
    Wireless
    Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC(2x2) 8260, Bluetooth Version 4.1 vPro
    Integrated Mobile Broadband
    Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable

notebookcheck.net/Len…tml

A good in depth review of this model is available in the above link. I'm sure some others will chime in with other options.
    Edited by: "Astec123" 4th Sep 2016

Is there any reason why he shouldn't just get a cheap chromebook or a lightweight budget windows laptop?
    For that budget I'd be tempted to buy a convertible windows 10 tablet/laptop for around £120 to take to lectures and then spend the rest on something they'd actually need. I bought a Lenovo Miix 300 for around that price and it does everything i'd need for that.

Original Poster

Astec123

In that case forgo the i7 requirement it's a pointless extra cost that … In that case forgo the i7 requirement it's a pointless extra cost that won't add any benefits.http://shop.lenovo.com/ukrewards/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/l-series/l460/?__followRobots=true#SYSTEMCode to access is !lenovorewards!Specify this option as follows for £650.51 and you get good performance, high resolution screen, 10 hours battery life for web browsing and a semi rugged machine that should last the duration of his course and put up with being thrown in a bag on a daily basis. Processor Intel Core i5-6200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.80GHz)Operating System Windows 10 Home 64Operating System Language Windows 10 Home 64 WE (EN/FR/DE/NL/IT)Display 14.0 FHD(1920x1080) IPS Non-TouchMemory 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600MHz ( 2 SODIMM )Graphics AMD Radeon R5 M330 2GBSecurity Chip Software TPM & Hardware dTPMKeyboard Keyboard - UK EnglishFingerprint Reader UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint ReaderTPM Setting Software TPM EnabledCamera 720p HD CameraFirst Hard Drive 256 GB Solid State Drive, SATA3 OPAL2.0 - CapableRear Battery ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (72Wh) Cyl HC RearPower Cord 65W AC Adapter - UK(3pin)Wireless Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC(2x2) 8260, Bluetooth Version 4.1 vProIntegrated Mobile Broadband Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradablehttp://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-L460-20FVS01400-Notebook-Review.161234.0.htmlA good in depth review of this model is available in the above link. I'm sure some others will chime in with other options.

Thanks! I'll also look at other i5's! (btw he's not paying for the laptop. My dad said he will )
    Edited by: "ibzhayat1233" 4th Sep 2016

Agaeti

Is there any reason why he shouldn't just get a cheap chromebook or a … Is there any reason why he shouldn't just get a cheap chromebook or a lightweight budget windows laptop?For that budget I'd be tempted to buy a convertible windows 10 tablet/laptop for around £120 to take to lectures and then spend the rest on something they'd actually need. I bought a Lenovo Miix 300 for around that price and it does everything i'd need for that.

Well everyone have their own ways to show off and budget.

Some one can also argue on a young couple only need a studio to live on why they are buying a 2 bed end of terrace house.

Palwan

Well everyone have their own ways to show off and budget.Some one can … Well everyone have their own ways to show off and budget.Some one can also argue on a young couple only need a studio to live on why they are buying a 2 bed end of terrace house.

True but I imagine that if they got a £200 laptop that does everything they need then that £500 could be very useful. I know when I started uni and lived on £3 a week for my food budget (I was very poor and practiced the sleeping for dinner diet) I'd have appreciated £500 extra to go on other things I needed.

Original Poster

Agaeti

True but I imagine that if they got a £200 laptop that does everything … True but I imagine that if they got a £200 laptop that does everything they need then that £500 could be very useful. I know when I started uni and lived on £3 a week for my food budget (I was very poor and practiced the sleeping for dinner diet) I'd have appreciated £500 extra to go on other things I needed.

Hi, my dad said he would buy the laptop as a present so my brother is not really paying anything.
    Edited by: "ibzhayat1233" 4th Sep 2016

ibzhayat1233

Hi, my dad said he would buy the laptop as a present so my brother is not … Hi, my dad said he would buy the laptop as a present so my brother is not really paying anything.

True, well for £700 I think that he'll get a lot more laptop than he needs, perhaps the extra money might go to another gift that might be helpful?

Original Poster

Astec123

In that case forgo the i7 requirement it's a pointless extra cost that … In that case forgo the i7 requirement it's a pointless extra cost that won't add any benefits.http://shop.lenovo.com/ukrewards/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/l-series/l460/?__followRobots=true#SYSTEMCode to access is !lenovorewards!Specify this option as follows for £650.51 and you get good performance, high resolution screen, 10 hours battery life for web browsing and a semi rugged machine that should last the duration of his course and put up with being thrown in a bag on a daily basis. Processor Intel Core i5-6200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.80GHz)Operating System Windows 10 Home 64Operating System Language Windows 10 Home 64 WE (EN/FR/DE/NL/IT)Display 14.0 FHD(1920x1080) IPS Non-TouchMemory 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600MHz ( 2 SODIMM )Graphics AMD Radeon R5 M330 2GBSecurity Chip Software TPM & Hardware dTPMKeyboard Keyboard - UK EnglishFingerprint Reader UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint ReaderTPM Setting Software TPM EnabledCamera 720p HD CameraFirst Hard Drive 256 GB Solid State Drive, SATA3 OPAL2.0 - CapableRear Battery ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (72Wh) Cyl HC RearPower Cord 65W AC Adapter - UK(3pin)Wireless Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC(2x2) 8260, Bluetooth Version 4.1 vProIntegrated Mobile Broadband Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradablehttp://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-L460-20FVS01400-Notebook-Review.161234.0.htmlA good in depth review of this model is available in the above link. I'm sure some others will chime in with other options.

The laptop specs are very good but the design looks okay/standard. Are there any better deals out there or is this the best?

Original Poster

Astec123

I found this johnlewis.com/len…ver

This also looks good and only weighs 1.1kg!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767475
      2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691425
      3. word association Game74044579
      4. One thing you've forgotten911

See more discussions