Good idea to buy leased car?

Edited by:"yay110"Found 16th Dec 2017
Hi, sorry for the confusing title.

My situation is, I found a 3-year-old Ford S-Max. It was leased before for sure, because the dealer showed me the V5C, unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the lease company.

My question is, is it a good idea to buy a previously leased car?
The dealer claimed full service history but I can only see one full service in 2015, several small service later. I thought the lease company would be very restrict on the servicing interval. How did this happen? And is this going to be a problem?
BTW, the suggested service interval is 12.5K miles and the car has 49K mileage now.

Thank you for your time.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

You can probably check with the dealer to see what has been done, but generally leases vehicles are mechanically sound, if the body is good and it drives good then it should be ok.

I would rather buy an ex lease car , some of the ex mobility cars can be a really good deal, they are either ultra low mileage, or beat to death and all mouldy inside through lack of care, either way it should be prettty obvious which way it lies, the same with ex lease cars, some looks after them well and others treat them like trash cans

Original Poster

m4ckys22 m ago

You can probably check with the dealer to see what has been done, but …You can probably check with the dealer to see what has been done, but generally leases vehicles are mechanically sound, if the body is good and it drives good then it should be ok.I would rather buy an ex lease car , some of the ex mobility cars can be a really good deal, they are either ultra low mileage, or beat to death and all mouldy inside through lack of care, either way it should be prettty obvious which way it lies, the same with ex lease cars, some looks after them well and others treat them like trash cans

Thank you m4ckys for the quick reply.

What do you mean by ex lease car? Is it like I described? Sorry I don't quite understand your second paragraph. Are you agree or against previously leased car?

I am all for buying a previously leased car. They are generally either really badly or really well looked after, either way, the servicing is almost always done as the delearship knows it will need the car back at one point so it is in their interest to service it regularly.

Original Poster

m4ckys10 m ago

I am all for buying a previously leased car. They are generally either …I am all for buying a previously leased car. They are generally either really badly or really well looked after, either way, the servicing is almost always done as the delearship knows it will need the car back at one point so it is in their interest to service it regularly.

Yes, the service is what I thought as well. That is why I was very surprised to see there is only one full service on the book. The dealer said it is all demanded by the car computer. If it doesn't tell you to service, it is fine, which I don't quite believe him.

I don't think you can see any mud in the car, I'm sure the dealer would clean in thoroughly beforehand. From the look of the car, it seems quite good. I had a drive for 10 mins, and felt all right.

When you say lease do you mean a hire company like Thrifty? I always think as a lease being for 2-4 years per person.

I bought an ex lease car, all good. No problems :). It had some service history. You might be able to check with Ford when it was last serviced, assuming it would most likely have been serviced by the main dealer. I think most leases require them to be serviced etc.

I know vw do whats called long service life cars now in some situations. So it only needs servicing when the sensors detect the engine oil is getting bad rather then once every X thousand miles.

Not sure if Ford are the same which would account for only one stamp?

My husband had a lease car as part of his company car. He travelled a lot and thus did around 15000 miles a year. Lease company used to send to any old garage for service and were not always available for service at set time i.e. Year or 10000 miles, so service was probably less frequent than should have been.

However.....

His current company car is also a lease car but much less mileage and make garage service. But the current one is own brand company leasing rather than a general leasing company.

If the S-Max you're looking at has the PowerShift gearbox (auto), then these need to have be serviced at the correct intervals.

I understand that even some of the dealers don't do it as part of the service as the oil change for the box is somewhere between £200 - £300. Apparently potential big bills down the line if the box hasn't been looked after.

nomisco14 h, 53 m ago

If the S-Max you're looking at has the PowerShift gearbox (auto), then …If the S-Max you're looking at has the PowerShift gearbox (auto), then these need to have be serviced at the correct intervals.I understand that even some of the dealers don't do it as part of the service as the oil change for the box is somewhere between £200 - £300. Apparently potential big bills down the line if the box hasn't been looked after.

I've never heard anything good about that box, Surely it can't be that bad?.
Post a comment
@
    Text