EXPIRED

Good laptop for playing games

Im looking to buy a desktop replacement laptop that can handle vista and run modern games at a reasonable pace: thinking 1.8-2ghz Core 2 duo, 2gb ram, 256mb graphics. Harddrive is irrelevant as i use externals. Any recommendations? Acers are my favourite, wish i hadnt missed out on the currys/tesco deal!!

Also, ive seen this before: "NVidia GeForce Go7600SE supporting 256MB TurboCache ". Does that mean it has 256 of dedicated memory or does it borrow from the system memory?

thanks!! :thinking:

7 Comments

Original Poster

Same quesion: ATI Radeon X1600 supporting 512MB HyperMemory... is that dedicated?

They're all just fancy ways of saying we steal from the system resources, but as it's over the PCI-E bus the performance loss isn't anything like as drastic as the bad old days where shared = crap.

Turbocache: a way of using some dedicated graphics memory and some system resources.

jjmillet

Im looking to buy a desktop replacement laptop that can handle vista and … Im looking to buy a desktop replacement laptop that can handle vista and run modern games at a reasonable pace: thinking 1.8-2ghz Core 2 duo, 2gb ram, 256mb graphics. Harddrive is irrelevant as i use externals. Any recommendations? Acers are my favourite, wish i hadnt missed out on the currys/tesco deal!!Also, ive seen this before: "NVidia GeForce Go7600SE supporting 256MB TurboCache ". Does that mean it has 256 of dedicated memory or does it borrow from the system memory?thanks!! :thinking:

If it is a 256mb card with TurboCache it will likely be 128 dedicated. It is nearly always 50% dedicated and 50% system RAM. I think this is now pretty standard that most cards have this ability.

Original Poster

ok thanks. have been looking round but i seem to be hitting a problem: dell, acer etc are too low spec in terms of graphics (X1600,Go 7600), but the next step up is a huge step right to the very top of the range and price (e.g. Rock extreme).

Anyone able to point me in the direction of a laptop with features somewhere in between these two extremes?

I don't think such a thing exists, if you do find one I'd love to know someone asked me the same question the other day.

hotukdeals.com/for…top

good for gaming..as are the x1600 graphics models on [url]www.pcnextday.co.uk[/url]
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Finally got a Xbox one s44
    2. Rain effect window. The one from FRIENDS! Please help!1011
    3. Best tablet for 100-150? Quid11
    4. Glazing Clay Pots for Drinking22

See more discussions