Groups
    EXPIRED

Good Laptop up to £500

I am looking for a laptop for my basic everyday needs. These include internet browsing, browsing photos, music, microsoft office etc... 2 brands that I prefer are Dell & Toshiba. I want it to have at least Duo Celeron processor, min. 1024 MB RAM, min. 80GB hard drive and 15' screen. Do you know any good offers in online shops? The price that I prefer is up to £500:p

Could you help me with this choice?

28 Comments

Keep an eye on the forum dell deals on Thursday morning, thats when hopefully dell update the deals available and I will post whats hot then.

Original Poster

MikeT

Keep an eye on the forum dell deals on Thursday morning, thats when … Keep an eye on the forum dell deals on Thursday morning, thats when hopefully dell update the deals available and I will post whats hot then.

Thanks for fast reply:thumbsup: I will wait for dell's update on thursday but which one would you suggest to me?

onlybarca

Thanks for fast reply:thumbsup: I will wait for dell's update on thursday … Thanks for fast reply:thumbsup: I will wait for dell's update on thursday but which one would you suggest to me?

a Dell 6400 would be my choice ..preferably with a Intel Core 2 CPU...not the core duo..should get one of that spec for £500 but lets see what Thursday brings.

MIKET:
    Im toying with the InspironTM 1501 (N06153A) £470.07 you posted last week.

Ive been out the loop for a while but would these type of notebooks have the facility to plug into my tv to play a dvd?

Also I dont understand how you get more money off with quidco though?

first post by the way:whistling:

cheers:thumbsup:

Onlybarca, I would go for a 6400 over the 1501 if funds allow, better machine imo.
    surfstak, welcome to the forums, you too would need to look for a 6400 as the 1501 doesnt have the outputs needed for connecting to your TV. The 6400 has svideo and of course audio out, plus it has firewire which the 1501 doesnt have and is handy for video cam transfer.
    Quidco works by getting you as a member a % off the product price. Go to Quidco for full details on how to use it.

Manuals for all the dell laptops will give you full specs on each model and can be found by using the sidebar links from my blog.

yeah i'm STILL in the hunt for a new laptop.my budget is £600 however a little more, but after the best spec possible (obv)..the 9400 looks interesting but it seems slightly pricey still.

this thursday is judgement day, if there's nothing new thats hot..i may have to go for the 9400! ha!

We will all have our fingers crossed then ;-)

Original Poster

I have decided to buy the 6400 one… This is the specification that I’ve chosen:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BASE: Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core T2080 Processor (1.73GHz,533MHz,1MB L2 cache)

OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005English

Display: 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800)

MEMORY: 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]

HARD DRIVE: 120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive

GRAPHICS CARD: Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory

OPTICAL DRIVE: Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW with Software

PRIMARY BATTERY: 9 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 Whr)

WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY: Dell™ Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini-PCI Card (for Dual-Core Processors)

BLUETOOTH: Dell™ Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module (up to 3Mbps) with Enhanced Data Rate for XP

COLOR CHOICE: QuickSnap® LCD Back Cover - Natural Leather

Power Supply: 65W AC Adapter

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cost of this specification is about £540 today. What do you think about it? Should I change something? Will it be reliable for few years? Could you please help me with this difficult choice? I’m gonna wait for tomorrow, maybe prices would go lower, but I’m aware they can also come back to normal, and that would cost me over £600…

OK heres the scuttlebutt, its looking like Dell are going to be replacing the whole Inspiron range at the end of June with new models and different case styling so if you want to hang on you may like the newer models better. Pricing will be about the same with some models slighty cheaper. Some more AMD alternatives will also be available.
    This is unlikely to make the current range drop much in price between now and the release date, dell dont usually work like that.
    And no I still dont work for dell ;-)

Original Poster

OK,But what do You think about the specification I've posted above?

ps. I prefer Intel processors:p

Well its balanced, though I would up the cpu if you can afford it, that one only has 1meg L2 cache.
    It will run fine for your stated needs and as long as you dont try the latest games you will also get away with things like far cry with reduced eye candy.
    I quite like the 6400 range myself.

Original Poster

"you will also get away with things like far cry with reduced eye candy."

What do you mean by that?

I mean the graphics in this is not really for gaming so you would need to reduce the visual effects to get the frame rate high enough to play the game, but as gaming wasnt in your requirements it doesnt really matter.

hmm Mike, you say dell are replacing the Inspiron range with something new?.
    any details of the new models ect. as you know, i'm about to make a purchase on an Inspirion Laptop..wouldn't want to regret any purchase i make today come July

Original Poster

I like everything about Inspiron 6400 but the only thing that discourage me is the screen. Is it the type of "glossy" one? Does it reflect eveyrthing around (eg. sun light from the window)? Because I just realised that it could be the one difficult to use near the window. Do you know which type of screen has it got?

The glossy screen is called Truelife and you have to pay extra to get that.

MikeT

Onlybarca, I would go for a 6400 over the 1501 if funds allow, better … Onlybarca, I would go for a 6400 over the 1501 if funds allow, better machine imo.surfstak, welcome to the forums, you too would need to look for a 6400 as the 1501 doesnt have the outputs needed for connecting to your TV. The 6400 has svideo and of course audio out, plus it has firewire which the 1501 doesnt have and is handy for video cam transfer.Quidco works by getting you as a member a % off the product price. Go to Quidco for full details on how to use it.Manuals for all the dell laptops will give you full specs on each model and can be found by using the sidebar links from my blog.

If your TV has a vga connection, then you can hook it up to a 1501. I do with mine occasionly to watch streaming video. Of course the sound source would then be from the laptop itself.

Original Poster

MikeT

The glossy screen is called Truelife and you have to pay extra to get … The glossy screen is called Truelife and you have to pay extra to get that.

I spoke to someone on live support and he told me that all inspiron models have got glossy screen which reflects the light and TrueLife makes it just sharper, cleaner and gives you higher resolution... That's what he told me:roll:

Original Poster

What do You think is more useful to add: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5300 Processor (1.73GHz,533MHz,2MB L2 cache) ----- instead of ------ Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core T2080 Processor (1.73GHz,533MHz,1MB L2 cache)

or

add better graphics --- 256MB ATI® Mobility™ Radeon® X1400 HyperMemory™ and--- 9 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 Whr) and stay with this processor ????

Better graphics will take the load off the cpu so the lesser one would work less hard, but you didnt say gaming was part of your original spec so if thats so then maybe the cpu upgrade would be best.
    There may be some better offers on 6400 later today

Original Poster

MikeT

Better graphics will take the load off the cpu so the lesser one would … Better graphics will take the load off the cpu so the lesser one would work less hard, but you didnt say gaming was part of your original spec so if thats so then maybe the cpu upgrade would be best.There may be some better offers on 6400 later today

Is it possible that they'l add new offers later today?

yes Mike gets all the new deals for us to gander at...one cracking deal you missed and so did i can be found here..]http//ww…383

take a look at the spec that scriptor got off dell, superb for the price in my eyes! its a shame I MISSED IT

Original Poster

Thanks very much MikeT! The configuration that I chose is:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

:Base: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5300 Processor (1.73GHz,533MHz,2MB L2 cache)

Microsoft Operating System: Genuine Windows® XP Professional - English

Hardware Support: Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only

LCD: 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display

Memory: 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]

Hard Drive: 120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive

Video Card: Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory

Primary Battery: 9 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 Whr)

Modem: 56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter - UK

Wireless Local Area Networking: Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-PCI Card (for Core 2 Duo Processors)

Dell™ Photo All in One Printer 926: Free 926 order with system :thumbsup:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you said, I upgraded the processor and decided not to upgrade the graphics card;-) The total cost is: £492.32 (Includes VAT & Shipping) What do you think about it?

:thumbsup:That will do nice

Original Poster

cheers! I'm taking it quickly, because prices are jumping all the time:-D

onlybarca

ps. I prefer Intel processors:p

Any reason why?

Original Poster

I always had intel processor in my coumputer, and never had any problems with it...:-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller88
      2. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1827
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2495
      4. Cat Chat77735

See more discussions