Good Lightweight Mountain Bike?

a

40 Comments

Both of them are bottom of the range and you get what you pay for really
    did you consider a hybrid ? this is what I have anyway and it's excellent
    winstanleysbikes.co.uk/pro…ike

Banned

thewongwing101

Both of them are bottom of the range and you get what you pay for … Both of them are bottom of the range and you get what you pay for reallydid you consider a hybrid ? this is what I have anyway and it's excellent :Dhttp://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/59638/Dawes_Discovery_301_2013_Womens_Bike

dawes use cheaply made imported frames, so your bike is hardly a step up from the other bikes mentioned

Banned

mayfair11

Interesting - how about Halfords? Are they good to buy from? I could try … Interesting - how about Halfords? Are they good to buy from? I could try a local independent but don't wanna get ripped off!

Halfords sell mostly if not just their own brands so the rrp is set by them and any discounted price is part of a long term marketing plan

independents are like most other small shops nowadays and don't have the buying power to offer huge discounts and rely on customer service to offset them not being able to match online places

personally i'd never buy a new bike as there isn't much to go wrong and what there is sooner or later you will have to service/adjust yourself unless you want to pay a fortune in labour for someone else to do a simple job

mayfair11

Thanks wongy! But I can't afford much atm - What exactly is a hybrid?

A half way house between a mountain bike(MTB) and a racing one good on road and off but not great at either
    not always had good experiences with halfords you may be better off with a local bike shop(LBS) imo

just keep your options open an wait if possible as 2015 ranges come in soon . most retailers usually offload unsold stock "aug/sept"

Banned

I agree with wongy, a new hybrid would be better than a mountain bike unless you do plan on using it offroad

Banned

mayfair11

I'll be using both so

how far offroad, a hybrid will cope with mild offroad conditions

Banned

mayfair11

Canals mainly ?

a hybrid would cope easy with that

Halfords offer good discounts as do others like sports direct but be very careful as the components can be suspect & very poor quality at the cheaper end , I would recommend you choose a lower spec model and not focus to much on lightweight components.
    decathlon also have a ok reputation for cheap bikes decathlon.co.uk/C-1…kes

decathlon.co.uk/C-1…kes

just keep your options open an wait if possible as 2015 ranges come in soon . most retailers usually offload unsold stock "aug/sept"

Banned

this explains better what a hybrid bike is
    bikeradar.com/beg…63/

Most hybrids have little or no suspension making them a poor choice for off road use, Main advantages are less weight for road use and usually larger wheels for less rolling resistance.

I rode my hybrid the full length of the leeds liverpool canal loaded with camping gear but wished i had chosen mtb tyres for a few muddy sections as it was rutted, wet & slippy and banked towards the water.

Good luck can't really help with buying second hand nowhere here does
    and I spent years looking for a winter bike on ebay and so on
    got this deal in the end
    hotukdeals.com/dea…889
    been off-roading on it this week but I don't take it very seriously and my hybrid would have done just as well

choosey

Halfords offer good discounts as do others like sports direct but be very … Halfords offer good discounts as do others like sports direct but be very careful as the components can be suspect & very poor quality at the cheaper end , I would recommend you choose a lower spec model and not focus to much on lightweight components. decathlon also have a ok reputation for cheap bikes http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-10829-bikeshttp://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-10829-bikes

Do not ever, and I mean ever purchase a bike from Sports Direct. I am no bike snob but I do know people who have purchased from them and have had nothing but trouble with every single bike, including all of the replacements. Seriously, stay well away, they are just over priced £50 supermarket jobs made to look a little better quality but they are certainly not.

Psycho, MuddyFox etc, all cheap tat with ten bob wheels that fail at the bearings, gears that are no name jobs that never select, etc. The list goes on.

Halfords are OK if you go for their more respectable Carrera brand, stay away from their Apollo range as these are the budget range with cheap tat components.

There have been some good deals on the Carrera bikes on here recently, within your £200 budget so well worth looking at.

This is still available
    hotukdeals.com/dea…741

NEtech

Do not ever, and I mean ever purchase a bike from Sports Direct. I am no … Do not ever, and I mean ever purchase a bike from Sports Direct. I am no bike snob but I do know people who have purchased from them and have had nothing but trouble with every single bike, including all of the replacements. Seriously, stay well away, they are just over priced £50 supermarket jobs made to look a little better quality but they are certainly not. Psycho, MuddyFox etc, all cheap tat with ten bob wheels that fail at the bearings, gears that are no name jobs that never select, etc. The list goes on.Halfords are OK if you go for their more respectable Carrera brand, stay away from their Apollo range as these are the budget range with cheap tat components.There have been some good deals on the Carrera bikes on here recently, within your £200 budget so well worth looking at.

I agree back in the day they used to OK sometimes
    no longer

Some tips
    Check the brakes X)
    check the wheels are true and don't "wobble"
    the same for the crank(the bit in the middle connected to the pedals)
    take it for a test ride (and check the gears front and back)
    Edited by: "Wongy110" 27th Jul 2014

mayfair11

Hmm yes that looks okay! Does it matter when it says mens/womens, I … Hmm yes that looks okay! Does it matter when it says mens/womens, I guess it's about the frame height?

No reason you can't ride a mens bike depends how you feel about getting your leg over X)
    You can find size guides online usually shopping websites have them as well but a lot of it is preference
    once you have the bike lots of adjustments you can make well worth spending the time to get it set up properly

Edited by: "Wongy110" 27th Jul 2014

mayfair11

Yes I wouldn't Thanks NEtech X) and Okay, I did see the TRAX & Apollo … Yes I wouldn't Thanks NEtech X) and Okay, I did see the TRAX & Apollo but think they're generic, their own brand

Stay away from both Trax and Apollo mate. For £200 you can get a decent bike which will give you a very good ride. The Saracen posted above is decent for the money. Although I personally think Saracen are another brand that had lost there way a little over the years, they still make good bikes for the money with quality components.

Banned

thewongwing101

Some tipsCheck the brakes X)check the wheels are true and don't … Some tipsCheck the brakes X)check the wheels are true and don't "wobble"the same for the crank(the bit in the middle connected to the pedals)take it for a test ride (and check the gears front and back)

if you find any of these faults while checking all apart from a buckled wheel usually just need tightening/adjusting and can be fixed in a few mins

Just noticed you would accept a second hand bike.

Heck, loads of local independent bike shops sell second hand bikes. For £200 you could get a very good bike (and I mean very good, and very light), which will be fully serviced with a local warranty.

Also just realised your female. It does not really matter what bike you ride, I see loads of ladies on straight frame mountain bikes on my travels, as long as your comfortable with it and it fits you then go for it, and most local bike shops will let you take the bike into the car park or wherever to test it for size and comfort, especially a second hand one.

Never used a hybrid personally. In fact I only started cycling last year, but I do read a lot of magazines and try to learn as much as I can.

My personal opinion is, if you are happy getting a second hand bike (I did and have never had a single problem in a full year), then that would be by far your best option. You will get a bike worth double if not treble the value.

Take a look around your local independent bike shops, ask people you know because some of the shops can be hidden away down alley ways in neighbouring towns and you may never know they ever existed. Make sure you do some research on the bike that you take a fancy to, just to make sure it is worth a lot more than you are paying second hand. Just Google the model and you should get a rough idea of what it is worth. Also make sure the shop you purchase from gives you a warranty, even 3 months should be fine as it should be serviced and ready to go.

But for me, and I know a lot of others will agree, second hand from a reputable bike shop will get you a very good bike in your £200 price range.

Banned

mayfair11

Great! Yeah I want to be sure it's serviced etc and can take back easy … Great! Yeah I want to be sure it's serviced etc and can take back easy if any problems, if it was 2nd hand, I'd lower it to £100 though And yeah that's what I wanna do! X) Yeah, I'm a girl, but it's fine riding a bike made for a 'male', makes me laugh how a womens bike is PINK and a mans the same is black, would never have a pink bike! I am not 10!

my secondhand bike was £100 but you will struggle to get anything decent from a bike shop for that sort of money
    its a full suspension mountain bike which is more capable offroad than I will ever be but having mtb gearing its limited to around 30mph on the road

mayfair11

Great! Yeah I want to be sure it's serviced etc and can take back easy … Great! Yeah I want to be sure it's serviced etc and can take back easy if any problems, if it was 2nd hand, I'd lower it to £100 though And yeah that's what I wanna do! X) Yeah, I'm a girl, but it's fine riding a bike made for a 'male', makes me laugh how a womens bike is PINK and a mans the same is black, would never have a pink bike! I am not 10!

Hey, do not down grade to £100 for second hand. If your budget is £200 then even stick to that for second hand one. Seriously, the difference in comfort between a cheap bike and a half decent bike is phenomenal. Gears, brakes, suspension, even the frame all add up to a brilliant stress free and relaxing ride, if the saddle feels uncomfortable you could even bargain in a replacement for free.

For £200 second hand you will be looking at a bike worth £400-500 depending on the year the model was made. Some of the older models, say 2010 could be better than their newer replacements but they go cheaper because bike snobs trade them in just for the latest model.
    Edited by: "NEtech" 27th Jul 2014

Whatsthepoint says he paid £100 for his, I also paid £100 for mine, but I took a chance on Gumtree and I assume he also went down the private route.

You will always get a much better deal private than through a a shop, you would pay probably double through a shop to private but for you, you will get the peace of mind of it already being serviced and fit for the road plus a full warranty which would be worth about £50 or more anyway.

If you buy second hand privately and get it serviced later at a shop it may cost you £100 in parts, you just never know what is wrong with it unless you really know what you looking for if you go private.

I got lucky, I knew naff all about bikes, I just took chance and the bike was gleaming when I saw it. It was not stolen because the guy came in his works van and lived locally so I get very lucky.

Banned

mayfair11

Where did you get yours from for £100? :)And yeah I don't care how fast I … Where did you get yours from for £100? :)And yeah I don't care how fast I can tbf on road just want it to have good enough suspension on canals tbh! With regards to seats? Whats the best? So dumb, haven't had a bike since I was a kid

it was advertised locally for £200, I emailed them offering £100 and didn't get a reply at first, but a week later they emailed me back asking do I still want it for £100, I then offered an extra £10 if they could delivered it from 15 miles away

I bought it 2 years ago and its about 17 years old now but it was £2k new so the components would still be considered mid range or better even now

Banned

op try asking for a bike on freecycle, i didn't ask but got a diamondback ascent mtb (about 10 y/o £400 new) which someone offered, only thing wrong with it was the front gear change was broken but mtb's are over geared for the road and 2/3s of the gears are redundant so there was no need to fix it

also try forums as they tend to be more reliable than ebay. see:
    cyclechat.net/thr…29/

Definitely go 2nd hand. I got one privately pretty recently. Hybrid sort of bike but geared more to Road than off road. Paid 50 quid and it's pretty solid. A Giant but a model that's a few years old. Much much better than what you could get for more than double at a place like halfords. If anybody you know knows a thing or two drag them along and they can keep you on the right tracks, make sure you don't get ripped off.

Banned

JoshJoshJosh

Definitely go 2nd hand. I got one privately pretty recently. Hybrid sort … Definitely go 2nd hand. I got one privately pretty recently. Hybrid sort of bike but geared more to Road than off road. Paid 50 quid and it's pretty solid. A Giant but a model that's a few years old. Much much better than what you could get for more than double at a place like halfords. If anybody you know knows a thing or two drag them along and they can keep you on the right tracks, make sure you don't get ripped off.

Hybrid's are geared towards the road, which is why one would be a better choice than a mountain bike for the op, my bike has 24 gears and 3rd will get me most of the way up the hills near me (if i was a bit fitter 3rd would be low enough to let me reach the top lol)

have a search for bike recycling places... in glasgow there is bikestation.co.uk and where i got mine which was ed's bike co op... well worth phoning council as lots take council funding to teach people bike maintenance and refurb bikes for sale... some of the bikes had rust but i picked the basic frame i wanted and they just added parts and give it full treatment... well worth a call or googling for your area..

So what happened then ?
    The main thing is to enjoy cycling it's a blast

mayfair11

Nothing has happened yet Wongy! It's been a day since I asked, I aint … Nothing has happened yet Wongy! It's been a day since I asked, I aint that quick at getting round to doing things!!! :pFor sure! I used to do it when I was younger, like hire them too if we went away, but I turned into a slob but I'm not being that way anymore! *PRAISE THE LORD*! Already lost nearly a stone in a month, maybe too fast but idec X) But I'ma go and have a look at some, does it actually matter if they're physically a bit too big for you, I.e, Need to get your leg over way more lol..? You seem to know a fair bit WW!

Been regularly riding a bike for over twenty years so I have picked up one or two things

mayfair11

Oldie JOKE! No, I'm being nice here!! But can you answer that?does it … Oldie JOKE! No, I'm being nice here!! But can you answer that?does it actually matter if they're physically a bit too big for you, I.e, Need to get your leg over way more lol..?

Well ahem the thing is if you have to do an emergency stop where will you land when you come off the saddle

mayfair11

Haha probably just go into me lmao Oh dear. Yeah I guess but just am … Haha probably just go into me lmao Oh dear. Yeah I guess but just am worried one that's cheaper will end up being too big but I don't think it's a massive deal but cant you make the saddle bit go down?

Yes sorry you can make it go up and down lots X) X)
    Sorry set me off now

Would have to be very second hand for that to happen

You have lost me there but I'm fairly sure you are a very naughty girl
    The thing is I'm a big boy and not having a clue I used to ride bikes that were far to small
    and had the seat post up to high until one day it broke oO

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. parquet floor sanded33
    2. I am hoping to sound you good people out about an idea...44
    3. Do you turn clothes inside out before washing?1725
    4. Selling advice55

See more discussions