Good litter and litter tray for cat/kitten

Posted 30th Dec 2019
What cat litter and litter tray do you use and would recommend that isnt too hard to upkeep, heavy on wallet and where do you get it?

We currently have a normal litter tray and used pine pellets and clamping litter from petsathome but the cat scatters it all over.

I saw youtube videos that were using pine pellets and tray when the pine turns tondust it falls to a catcher tray. Seems like a pretty rigid idea but not sure what the name of the tray is and I cant seem to find it anywhere.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
I have found the normal asda clumping cat litter does the job just fine. Seems to be a shortage of this for some reason as there is hardly ever any stock. I do stock up when i can though!
We’ve just got our first cat. We got this tray from amazon Catit Style Hooded Cat Pan/Litter Tray/Litter Box, 57L x 46.5H x 39W, Blue amazon.co.uk/dp/…P7J the lid will definitely help with the mess!
argos.co.uk/pro…443 Plenty of room, I took the flap off, one of the cats became agitated, but ok now, Catsan works the best for us, small may also helps amazon.com/Van…-15
I buy 2 of these a year and use a high sided plastic box from Asda
zooplus.co.uk/sho…584
esar30/12/2019 10:36

I buy 2 of these a year and use a high sided plastic box from …I buy 2 of these a year and use a high sided plastic box from Asdahttps://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/professional_classic/178584

Is there a online link for the container?
hukd won't let anyone post links to adsa, just go to their site and search for 45l storage box
Edited by: "esar" 30th Dec 2019
I made my own sifting trays for pine litter, you just need two trays that fit inside each other I then fastened (with no nails type grab adhesive) a small batten under the long edge of the top trays longer edges to give it a space between the bottoms of the two trays, I then got a 4mm or so drill bit and drilled a grid of holes in the bottom of the top tray, a couple of shakes and the powder sifts through leaving the intact pellets on top you can then empty the powdered stuff out easily and cleanly. Total cost per sifting set up under £10 and no mess kicked out of the tray. Our cats are odd though as they only poop in one tray set up and pee in the others,
Best idea for a cat litter tray I've seen in a long time
youtube.com/wat…HNw
Lidl clumping cat litter and the biggest tray you can find. My tray holds about three bags of litter and it makes it much easier to just lift the clumps out. Most cats when using their tray like to try and dig down to Australia first.

I tried a hooded tray and mine didn't like it but she is quite a big cat and didn't like been couped up. She couldn't really crouch properly to use it despite buying a big one of those.

I use Morrison's basic nappy sacks for cleaning. They are less than 40p for 100 and the thickest of the basic ones I've found.

Oh and I highly recommend an ancol fat boy scratching post. About £35 and worth every penny. Mine is starting to wear now but it's over 6 years old and we'll used daily worth every penny.

Finally enjoy your new bundle of fun.
You can also line your tray with any black bin liners it’s ideal for cleaning the whole tray.
When I had a cat I just went for cheapest stuff i could find. After cat was trained it just went outside to crap and wee anyway.
harlzter30/12/2019 12:28

I made my own sifting trays for pine litter, you just need two trays that …I made my own sifting trays for pine litter, you just need two trays that fit inside each other I then fastened (with no nails type grab adhesive) a small batten under the long edge of the top trays longer edges to give it a space between the bottoms of the two trays, I then got a 4mm or so drill bit and drilled a grid of holes in the bottom of the top tray, a couple of shakes and the powder sifts through leaving the intact pellets on top you can then empty the powdered stuff out easily and cleanly. Total cost per sifting set up under £10 and no mess kicked out of the tray. Our cats are odd though as they only poop in one tray set up and pee in the others,

I tried this... but I find the litter doesn't sift through very well... Any recommendations for litter which turns to a finer sawdust?
dbizal30/12/2019 20:03

I tried this... but I find the litter doesn't sift through very well... …I tried this... but I find the litter doesn't sift through very well... Any recommendations for litter which turns to a finer sawdust?

We use the pets at home own brand I think its £6.99 a bag, they do another at £5.99 but its odour absorbtion is atrocious
cheekyweegit30/12/2019 13:09

Lidl clumping cat litter and the biggest tray you can find. My tray holds …Lidl clumping cat litter and the biggest tray you can find. My tray holds about three bags of litter and it makes it much easier to just lift the clumps out. Most cats when using their tray like to try and dig down to Australia first. I tried a hooded tray and mine didn't like it but she is quite a big cat and didn't like been couped up. She couldn't really crouch properly to use it despite buying a big one of those. I use Morrison's basic nappy sacks for cleaning. They are less than 40p for 100 and the thickest of the basic ones I've found. Oh and I highly recommend an ancol fat boy scratching post. About £35 and worth every penny. Mine is starting to wear now but it's over 6 years old and we'll used daily worth every penny. Finally enjoy your new bundle of fun.

Thanks
I have a lidded litter tray and use lids clumping litter.. dirt cheap. Kitty older now so goes outside to do his dirties, but was solely an indoor cat for the first couple of years where I used a bag of "world's best litter" from Amazon which lasted absolutely ages and clumped fantastically with no odour. Best thing was its flushable so helps a great deal if you're in a flat where the bins are a trek away.
samwants2save31/12/2019 03:18

I have a lidded litter tray and use lids clumping litter.. dirt cheap. …I have a lidded litter tray and use lids clumping litter.. dirt cheap. Kitty older now so goes outside to do his dirties, but was solely an indoor cat for the first couple of years where I used a bag of "world's best litter" from Amazon which lasted absolutely ages and clumped fantastically with no odour. Best thing was its flushable so helps a great deal if you're in a flat where the bins are a trek away.

Could you provide some links please?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions